AAA A/AA split is approved for 2013-2014 & DII 8 man bracket

CoachBlair

TSSAA Board of Control voted today to approve East Literature's proposal to split the DI Traditional state tournament into AAA and A/AA classifications beginning in the 2013-2014 season. AAA will have 8 regions with 4 qualifiers, A/AA will have 3 regions with 4 qualifiers. I'm not sure about the tournament formats, though, or what the new regions will look like.

Also, the board approved changing the DII Traditional tournament from a 16 man bracket to an 8 man bracket beginning in 2013-2014.

The board denied a request from McMinn Central to form a cooperative wrestling program with McMinn County.

Coach Blair

Edited by CoachBlair

What am I missing here? How can this possible be better? More state champions? I guess it will improve kids self esteem right? The size of your school has NO bearing on how good an individual wrestler may be. I can see the rationale behind a split for state duals but there is absolutely no justification for splitting the individual state.

One of the biggest concerns to me is losing the Double Elimination format. It sounds like we will be going back to "Follow Your Man" again. This could be the biggest blow out of the whole process.

Also Chattanooga and Cleveland area all in the same region. Ouch... That 4th place region guy could be a state medalist.

Edited by tullahomawrestling

TSSAA Board of Control voted today to approve East Literature's proposal to split the DI Traditional state tournament into AAA and A/AA classifications beginning in the 2013-2014 season. AAA will have 8 regions with 4 qualifiers, A/AA will have 3 regions with 4 qualifiers. I'm not sure about the tournament formats, though, or what the new regions will look like.

Also, the board approved changing the DII Traditional tournament from a 16 man bracket to an 8 man bracket beginning in 2013-2014.

The board denied a request from McMinn Central to form a cooperative wrestling program with McMinn County.

Coach Blair

Great. Now no one from Mcminn Central can wrestle. The morons in charge of that school couldn't wait to kill the sport, then they lied about reviving the program when a few folks complained. Obviously they never intended to bring back the program just a little lip service to buy time while waiting for the former wrestlers to graduate. TSSAA won't let the kids who want to wrestle transfer without losing eligibility now they can't even go to an in county school to be part of that sagging program. Exactly who's interest is being served here ?

Great. Now no one from Mcminn Central can wrestle. The morons in charge of that school couldn't wait to kill the sport, then they lied about reviving the program when a few folks complained. Obviously they never intended to bring back the program just a little lip service to buy time while waiting for the former wrestlers to graduate. TSSAA won't let the kids who want to wrestle transfer without losing eligibility now they can't even go to an in county school to be part of that sagging program. Exactly who's interest is being served here ?

If thats the case then thats ridiculous! Those kids should be allowed to wrestle at the nearest school with wrestling. In fact I thought that was the rule already in place?

If thats the case then thats ridiculous! Those kids should be allowed to wrestle at the nearest school with wrestling. In fact I thought that was the rule already in place?

When a program drops the TSSAA rules state they have to wait 5 years before being able to Coop. It's my understanding that McMinn Central and McMinn County appealed this rule but they were obviously denied. Apparently there was precedent set a few years back when the same thing happened to a school(s) in Nashville.

Edited by russianbear

Coach Blair

AA/A will have 3 regions with 4 qualifiers? That math seems off for bracketing.

When a program drops the TSSAA rules state they have to wait 5 years before being able to Coop. It's my understanding that McMinn Central and McMinn County appealed this rule but they were obviously denied. Apparently there was precedent set a few years back when the same thing happened to a school(s) in Nashville.

Again, who's interests are being served ? Certainly not the student athletes'. Minor sports should have a way to opt out of the T$$AA, all they seem to care about is raking in money off football and basketball.

I did not see anywhere in Coach Blair's post that stated they were doing away with the Dbl Elim. format. Why would they have to drop the Dbl Elim with the new divisions?

As for schools with large enrollments not having an advantage over schools with smaller enrollments, I disagree. Much larger pool of athletes to draw from, more kids on the team and more competition in the room. Yes I know there are those small schools that can go toe to toe with anyone, but if you look at the list of state champion teams for the past, you have to go back to the 1970's to find a public school with lower enrollment tha won the state title.

In a few years we shall see if the decision was good or bad for wrestling. Something tells me that no matter what, this conversation will not change. Anyway, Good Luck to eveyone this season! GOOD LUCK TO THE MOCS TONITE!!! I will be wearing UTC Hat, My Iowa Shirt, and my my UT Wrestling Club jacket or vest. ALL ABOUT THE WRESTLING!

THANK YOU SHOUT OUT TO THE MOCS AND COACH ESLINGER AND COACH BRANDS FOR PUTTING THIS THING TOGETHER!

What am I missing here? How can this possible be better? More state champions? I guess it will improve kids self esteem right? The size of your school has NO bearing on how good an individual wrestler may be. I can see the rationale behind a split for state duals but there is absolutely no justification for splitting the individual state.

The size of your school can (and usually does) have a bearing on how good an individual will be. If size doesn't determine anything, why does the NCAA have divisions? What do you think the goal of high school sports is? These kids aren't going pro. They are just kids participating in an inherently tough sport. They aren't responsible for fulfilling the pipe dreams of a bunch of has-been or never-was old guys. High school wrestling isn't a training ground for the OTC. I'm having trouble seeing the fault in the split other than the "state won't be as tough" argument. The trouble with that is that it's not that tough to start with. The majority of medal winners are form the large, established programs so who does the split hurt?

The responsibility, in my opinion, now lies on the backs of the small schools. They now need to raise their game, go find quality coaches, support them, and put in the work. The burden for making this split a positive and encouraging more kids to wrestle is on their shoulders. I hoe they will take advantage of the situation they have been given.