Arby's Classic 2012

MentorFan

They sure did..Rashad was huge..Not a lot of points, but his size and athletic ability in there was big...Merrian had a great game..Mismatched all game by a 6 ft 10 inch kid and never stopped fighting..Fagan hit some very key 3's..I think had 4 of them on the night..Very proud of OR...Could be a signature win for the season..I don't expect us to beat Melrose, but we will give them all we have..SH played them very tough for the most part and we shoulda beat SH to be honest..If we woulda been 100% healthy i feel we would have..I been saying it all year..On a good night we can play with anybody in this state, Memphis or out of state for that matter. This team was one of the best in Va i think. They supposedly had 4 Div 1 prospects.

Rashsd is very important to the team. His vertical is UNREAL and he plays hard down low. I have always been impressed with his touch around the basket too.

ROLL CATS!!!!!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Episcopal was undefeated they were 2-2

Well, come to find out they were 3-1, now 3-2, but either way they were favored to beat us (OR) They have more then a few Div 1 prospects on their team to our zero. They have maybe one guy under 6"5' in the starting lineup. Shows what good coaching, heart, motivation, and fundamentals can do...Heard they were tweeting our guys before the game saying they were gonna mop the floor with us. Wonder how they are feeling now? lol

Edited by SweetScience

From my brief research, here is what I find:

Of all the TN schools, Science Hill (7-1) and Melrose (5-1) are the most highly regarded. The two play eachother in the first round.

Last year's champs, Christ School, are 12-4 - but they probably play a schedule as tough as any in North Carolina. Two of their losses are to the same team, Wesleyan Christian - the top ranked teams in NC. While four losses shows they are beatable, the Greenies are probably still the team to beat.

Princeton Day Academy (MD) is 8-5, but they are similar to Christ School in that they are loaded with talent and have a tough schedule to match. PDA has collected much of the talent in the Baltimore area this season through transfers. The record might not reflect as much, but they could be the second best team at the Classic.

Virginia Episcopal (3-0) is ranked highly in their state by Massey and other computer rankings, but I don't know much about them beyond that.

As for out of the country teams, I can't say anything about Urspring (Germany) except that their tradition speaks for itself. They will definitely be one of the tough outs at this tournament.

Science Hill just gets a lot out of what they have. It's a shame that their players transfer. Two of Christ Schools top 3 players last year played at Science Hill. This season Science Hill lost its best player to transfer again. Melrose is playing without it's best player and they would probably be the 6th best team in the city of memphis this year.

for the record i really enjoy watching mentor play!

Science Hill just gets a lot out of what they have. It's a shame that their players transfer. Two of Christ Schools top 3 players last year played at Science Hill. This season Science Hill lost its best player to transfer again. Melrose is playing without it's best player and they would probably be the 6th best team in the city of memphis this year.

for the record i really enjoy watching mentor play!

It sounds like Science Hill has had a rough go in the transfer department. I have followed the Arby's Classic closely (including teams involved) since Mentor came on board. The Hale/Allen transfers are super significant. Sounds like Science Hill might be the team to beat if they were able to keep their players. Does any other Bristol-area school have similar problems?

Who is Melrose's best player? BTW, according to the Memphis beat (Commercial Appeal), their Dandy Dozen rankings currently have Melrose No. 3 behind nationaly ranked Southwind (a team Mentor beat two years ago in Bristol) and White Station.

Edited by MentorFan

It sounds like Science Hill has had a rough go in the transfer department. I have followed the Arby's Classic closely (including teams involved) since Mentor came on board. The Hale/Allen transfers are super significant. Sounds like Science Hill might be the team to beat if they were able to keep their players. Does any other Bristol-area school have similar problems?

Who is Melrose's best player? BTW, according to the Memphis beat (Commercial Appeal), their Dandy Dozen rankings currently have Melrose No. 3 behind nationaly ranked Southwind (a team Mentor beat two years ago in Bristol) and White Station.

No other school in the Tri-Cities area loses basketball players to private schools. That only happens at Science Hill and it's because the Hilltopper basketball program has been the best in the area for the last 25 years. In fact, transferring to play at private schools is actually a pretty recent thing. It really started with Hale and Allen leaving last year, and to be honest most of the time these kids don't want to transfer. It's more a parental decision. I know for a fact that Tre Fields(now at VA Episcopal)did not want to transfer. Same goes for Jaylen Allen(now at NC Christ School). Jaylen transferred because it gave him another year of eligibility to play high school ball.

As FLMS said though, regardless of the transfers, Science Hill still has a good team. It's probably the weakest team they've had in a while but they're a scrappy group. They play great defense and team ball. FLMS said it perfectly. They get a lot out of what they have. They may not be the biggest or best team out there but they really make their opponents work to get a W. I believe they're currently 17-2, with their only losses coming to a team in the Bahamas(a tournament they played at during Thanksgiving) and Melrose in the Arby's. They've basically blown all the area teams they've played out.

FLMS, do you really think Tre would've been Science Hill's best player this year? Don't get me wrong, he's very good and I hate he transferred. However, are you forgetting Will and CJ? I've watched Will, CJ and Tre play together for years and I must admit I always felt Will and CJ were the better players. Tre had the size but Will and CJ are all-around better basketball players.