Arby's Classic 2012

MentorFan

After seeing Science Hill up close I must agree that Tre is really athletically gifted but CJ Good is one of the best shooters I've ever seen and Will Adams is just very good in so many ways. I'd take both over Tre. Those two are not only special players but are leaders and great kids. I think the rest of Science Hill feeds of that. Science Hill to me is the model for basketball. Just my opinion.

They are a very good TEAM, no question. That dang Good is automatic from 3 pt range. He killed OR in the game we played SH knocking down 3's..Without him nailing them 3's, it would have been a different ballgame. They were all at critical moments, too. Great shooter.

Edited by SweetScience

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like Science Hill has had a rough go in the transfer department. I have followed the Arby's Classic closely (including teams involved) since Mentor came on board. The Hale/Allen transfers are super significant. Sounds like Science Hill might be the team to beat if they were able to keep their players. Does any other Bristol-area school have similar problems?

Who is Melrose's best player? BTW, according to the Memphis beat (Commercial Appeal), their Dandy Dozen rankings currently have Melrose No. 3 behind nationaly ranked Southwind (a team Mentor beat two years ago in Bristol) and White Station.

The problem with the Memphis teams is coaching. I'll be honest they take a lot of teams lightly and really get after each other and the national power houses. For instance Memphis Craigmont played Oak Hill to a 1 point game last year and Ridgeway beat Montverde Academy who is the nations number 1 team this year and was top 10 nationally last year. The funny thing is I don't think Southwind, Craigmont, Ridgeway, Melrose or White station even made the state tournament last year. I think it was just memphis central and memphis east. You could argue that Southwind, white Station, Ridgeway and East are better than Melrose. I do also agree you could argue that Melrose is better than Ridgeway and East but Southwind and White Station are probably the two best in the City. In the senior class the Memphis Area has 6 top 100 players nationally. The problem in Memphis is coaching and I hate saying that but the talent pool is crazy. Memphis high school basketball puts out as much talent as any where in the country for a city its size.

For the record I absolutely love watching Mentor play.

After seeing Science Hill up close I must agree that Tre is really athletically gifted but CJ Good is one of the best shooters I've ever seen and Will Adams is just very good in so many ways. I'd take both over Tre. Those two are not only special players but are leaders and great kids. I think the rest of Science Hill feeds of that. Science Hill to me is the model for basketball. Just my opinion.

I totally agree about both being great leaders and kids, as well as very special ball players. Science Hill reminds me a lot of a high school version of Butler. They don't have a bunch of star players. They're just a really good TEAM. They play with a lot of heart. Coach Cutlip and his staff do a phenomenal job of getting the very best out of their players.

As for CJ's shooting, I couldn't agree more. He's one of the purest 3-point shooters I've ever seen. He hit 9 in yesterday's game vs VA Episcopal!

Memphis city high school hoops is the top 3 in the country... the only others that are comparable to the city as a whole are Chicago and NYC in my opinion... Memphis high school basketball is LOADED all through the city.... even some of your teams that don't get the hype that the others in the city get, usually have 1-2 D1 caliber players on their team. If you've never gotten to experience a big time Memphis HS basketball game, you're missing out. It's definitely hard to beat the atmosphere and talent on the court.....

I totally agree about both being great leaders and kids, as well as very special ball players. Science Hill reminds me a lot of a high school version of Butler. They don't have a bunch of star players. They're just a really good TEAM. They play with a lot of heart. Coach Cutlip and his staff do a phenomenal job of getting the very best out of their players.

As for CJ's shooting, I couldn't agree more. He's one of the purest 3-point shooters I've ever seen. He hit 9 in yesterday's game vs VA Episcopal!

9?! wow Sounds like J.J. Redick type numbers lol

Edited by SweetScience

Science Hill and Oak Ridge both gave Melrose all they wanted and represented the East very well. Proof that some of the teams from the East can play with the big boys out West.

Well, I guess if losing to a "big boy" in the west without it's main player by 8 is proof you can hang, then your standards aren't very high.... my prediction is that Melrose won't even make it to state this year. While I'm sure Science Hill and Oak Ridge are good AAA teams in the east, they would be average in the west (predominately Memphis)....

Edited by GCPioneer

Well, I guess if losing to a "big boy" in the west without it's main player by 8 is proof you can hang, then your standards aren't very high.... my prediction is that Melrose won't even make it to state this year. While I'm sure Science Hill and Oak Ridge are good AAA teams in the east, they would be average in the west (predominately Memphis)....

Hey, by talking to some West Tennesseeans Oak Ridge or Science Hill shouldn't have came within 50 of any Memphis School. Losing by 8 to a team that's ranked #3 in the city of Memphis is nothing to hang your head about, without a good player or not. As great as those Memphis teams are they should be able to overcome the loss of just one player in defining fashion. :thumb:

Edited by SweetScience

Hey, by talking to some West Tennesseeans Oak Ridge or Science Hill shouldn't have came within 50 of any Memphis School. Losing by 8 to a team that's ranked #3 in the city of Memphis is nothing to hang your head about, without a good player or not.

Playing with any of the Memphis elite isn't anything to hang your head about.... put Markel Crawford in the game and you lose by 20-25...simple as that... I respect Science Hill's program, they are usually competitive year in and year out at state. I think the fact that the teams that come out of Memphis are so battle tested, it winds up being to the Memphis teams advantage at state. I follow Memphis HS basketball fairly well considering I'm 2 hours away, but I never expected Memphis East and Central to be playing for the championship last year.... I'll say that I still believe that those 2 weren't even the best in Memphis last year.

Edited by GCPioneer

Playing with any of the Memphis elite isn't anything to hang your head about.... put Markel Crawford in the game and you lose by 20-25...simple as that... I respect Science Hill's program, they are usually competitive year in and year out at state. I think the fact that the teams that come out of Memphis are so battle tested, it winds up being to the Memphis teams advantage at state. I follow Memphis HS basketball fairly well considering I'm 2 hours away, but I never expected Memphis East and Central to be playing for the championship last year.... I'll say that I still believe that those 2 weren't even the best in Memphis last year.

Oak Ridge has gone to the state tournament on more than a few occasions, and has beaten Memphis East before in the state tournament, but can't recall the year. I know their guys were laughing at our guys in pre-game warmups, i do remember that. Guess they weren't laughing on the bus ride back home. And a White Station team led by Joe Jackson beat us by 2 points in 2007 64-62 in the state tournament. Science Hill or Oak Ridge for that matter aren't a pushover for anyone.