Arby's Classic 2012

MentorFan

Guess that figured a lot into Melrose losing? The starting PG out, that is..BTW, Science Hill taking nothing away from them because for the standards in East Tn basketball and possibly state they are to be looked to for meeting the standard...But, that is such a huge school and they do have the benefit of having a huge pool of talent to choose from, not to mention i am sure they have gotten quiet a bit of transfers from other areas over the years..I'd guess kids would gravitate to there to play ball. Why it makes me wonder why kids have been transferring out of there to play? That baffles me, but i'm surely not in the know..And oh yeah, they had the privalage of having possibly the greatest coach to ever coach in this state...But, take nothing away from them, they are a fantastic bunch with great tradition..They are in Tn basketball what Maryville is to Tennessee football.

No transfers to Science Hill to play basketball. The kids that play there are JC raised and have played together since elementary/junior high school. I'm being serious.

Edit I take that back. In the last 25 years, the only transfer to Science Hill to play basketball that I know of is Shannon Hale(now at NC Christ School). He transferred from TN High in Bristol.

Edited by AlumnI01

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No transfers to Science Hill to play basketball. The kids that play there are JC raised and have played together since elementary/junior high school. I'm being serious.

Well, then i have no reason not to believe you...Even through the glory years? If so, very impressive. That is a very big school..One of the biggest in the state, isn't it?

Well, then i have no reason not to believe you...Even through the glory years? If so, very impressive. That is a very big school..One of the biggest in the state, isn't it?

Even in the "Glory Days". Those guys were just JC kids that had been playing together since they were young. That's what made those teams so special. You have to remember too that Science Hill was not nearly as big back in the early 90's as it is today. The talent pool was quite a bit smaller back then. Again, another reason those teams from 90-95 were so special.

Yes, I do believe it is currently one of the largest high schools in the state. I believe it's the second or third largest.

Even in the "Glory Days". Those guys were just JC kids that had been playing together since they were young. That's what made those teams so special. You have to remember too that Science Hill was not nearly as big back in the early 90's as it is today. The talent pool was quite a bit smaller back then. Again, another reason those teams from 90-95 were so special.

Yes, I do believe it is currently one of the largest high schools in the state. I believe it's the second or third largest.

I remember when i was young (late 80's early 90's) My dad would always take me to Oak Ridge basketball games. I can remember playing SH a few times in our old gym..Did you ever go to the old OR gym? It probably didn't hold 1000 fans lol..I can remember him telling me about SH and their tradition, even when he was growing up he told me they were fantastic..OR and SH have had some real good games over the years...Besides SH, i think OR and DB are two of the tops traditionally in the eastern side of the state. Just my opinion..Alcoa and Fulton, too. I should mention Bradley Central (County), too. They have traditionally had some great teams.

Edited by SweetScience

I remember when i was young (late 80's early 90's) My dad would always take me to Oak Ridge basketball games. I can remember playing SH a few times in our old gym..Did you ever go to the old OR gym? It probably didn't hold 1000 fans lol..I can remember him telling me about SH and their tradition, even when he was growing up he told me they were fantastic..OR and SH have had some real good games over the years...Besides SH, i think OR and DB are two of the tops traditionally in the eastern side of the state. Just my opinion..Alcoa and Fulton, too. I should mention Bradley Central (County), too. They have traditionally had some great teams.

Unfortunately, I never made it to a game at Oak Ridge's old gym. I wish I would've. I totally agree about your comments referring to tradition and schools in the eastern part of the state. Science Hill, Oak Ridge, DB, Maryville etc. always represent this part of the state very well.

Btw here's a pretty neat video with some great footage of some of those early 90s Science Hill teams. It mainly focuses on Shane Williams(a legend at Science Hill)but it's great footage in general. It definitely took me back. All credit goes to the person who made it.

Edited by AlumnI01

Unfortunately, I never made it to a game at Oak Ridge's old gym. I wish I would've. I totally agree about your comments referring to tradition and schools in the eastern part of the state. Science Hill, Oak Ridge, DB, Maryville etc. always represent this part of the state very well.

Btw here's a pretty neat video with some great footage of some of those early 90s Science Hill teams. It mainly focuses on Shane Williams(a legend at Science Hill)but it's great footage in general. It definitely took me back. All credit goes to the person who made it.

Yes, Maryville, too. Had a great team in 07? when they won it all..Sure, i'd love to see.

That's awesome buddy..Where did Shane play collegiate ball at?

That's awesome buddy..Where did Shane play collegiate ball at?

He had a lot of big-time offers but ended up having to go the JUCO route. He finished his career at Tennessee. He is a true legend at Science Hill, and easily one of the best players this state has ever seen. His son, Jaylen Allen, is one of the Science Hill transfers currently playing at NC Christ School.

He had a lot of big-time offers but ended up having to go the JUCO route. He finished his career at Tennessee. He is a true legend at Science Hill, and easily one of the best players this state has ever seen. His son, Jaylen Allen, is one of the Science Hill transfers currently playing at NC Christ School.

Too bad ya'll couldn't have kept his son and the Fields kid..Would be dynamite if so...I hope we get to play yall again this year..

Too bad ya'll couldn't have kept his son and the Fields kid..Would be dynamite if so...I hope we get to play yall again this year..

The only reason his son transferred is because it gave him an extra year of eligibility to play high school ball. Technically, Jaylen should be a Freshman in college right now. He's committed to play in college at Wofford. He's a great kid and although I hated that he transferred, I wish him nothing but the best. Like Jaylen, I hate that Tre transferred(his dad also played at Science Hill in the late 90s)but from everything I've heard, he didn't really have a choice.

I hope we play you guys again too. I think it would be another great one.

The only reason his son transferred is because it gave him an extra year of eligibility to play high school ball. Technically, Jaylen should be a Freshman in college right now. He's committed to play in college at Wofford. He's a great kid and although I hated that he transferred, I wish him nothing but the best. Like Jaylen, I hate that Tre transferred(his dad also played at Science Hill in the late 90s)but from everything I've heard, he didn't really have a choice.

I hope we play you guys again too. I think it would be another great one.

Well then, i can't blame him. I wish him the best as well. sounds like a standup kid..Hope to see you guys again on the hardwood soon, Alumni01

Yes, Maryville, too. Had a great team in 07? when they won it all..Sure, i'd love to see.

That was awesome but the best Maryville team ever might have been the 2002-2003 team Lee Humphrey's senior year. Maryville won over 30 games and only lost 4 times. 2 of those losses were to Nationally ranked teams in the Arby's classic. Greeneville beat Maryville in the substate game at Maryville. To this day that was the most dissapointing loss in Maryville Basketball history.