Good Night for Blount County Girls in 4AAA

GovMan

Attended Maryville Heritage game Friday night. Maryville took it in OT. I really thought Heritage would win with more talent. Maryville played good defense and still wins ugly. Hats off to Bangash and company. They just keep winning.

I was at the game and do not share your assessment that Heritage is more talented than Maryville. Overall talent differential is neglible between the two teams, in my opinion. They have played twice and have had two very close games. They are evenly matched teams and the results bear that out.

I probably didnt say that right. It is my opinion that player for player, I feel Heritage has more overall talent than Maryville at the player level. I do think Bangash could be the most talented on the floor Friday. Maryville has a nice player in Tilley and Spears and Pepperman at times. However i just think Thomas, Knight, Johnson, Massey are further along than those three. With that said, Maryville has proven with wins over Heritage, Alcoa, Bearden etc..that they know how to win as a team. Sometimes individual talent doesnt beat team talent. I think there is a difference. Again only my opinion from watching these girls through the years. On paper player for player I would take Heritage everytime. But basketball is not played on paper and Maryville continues to impress.

Edited by Bcbasketball

I probably didnt say that right. It is my opinion that player for player, I feel Heritage has more overall talent than Maryville at the player level. I do think Bangash could be the most talented on the floor Friday. Maryville has a nice player in Tilley and Spears and Pepperman at times. However i just think Thomas, Knight, Johnson, Massey are further along than those three. With that said, Maryville has proven with wins over Heritage, Alcoa, Bearden etc..that they know how to win as a team. Sometimes individual talent doesnt beat team talent. I think there is a difference. Again only my opinion from watching these girls through the years. On paper player for player I would take Heritage everytime. But basketball is not played on paper and Maryville continues to impress.

11 is very good but not that night (she didn't score a field goal all night), that speedster is what won it for Maryville. Don't remember her number.

As you said Thomas, Knight, Johnson and Massey (they play year round and are established players) are expected to play well but the Freshman Wolfe that came in for the Senior Post(out)Pryor was very impressive (still Young).

If Heritage plays like they did the last 3 qtrs the whole game they will do very good in the tournament. (if they can keep Knight and Massey from foul trouble, that's saying a lot)

Well Heritage plays LC tonight hope they bounce back

Edited by smokymtn

Tilley belongs in the discussion when talking about the best players in the district. She may not be as offensively skilled as some of the players that you mentioned but she more than makes up for it with quickness, physicality, defensive prowess, etc. Her offensive game is pretty good but what really defines her as a player right now is her "motor"....... she plays as hard as anyone I have seen in the district and consistently makes big plays on both ends of the court.

Edited by Norman Dale