Can we ever see the TSSAA doing this?

karelin

The idea is excellent, but the planning/funding and participation is where I fear it would fail.

1. Where would this grand tournament be held? Obviously the threads regarding the Ag Center versus UTC would resurface.

2. And aren't we all pretty confident TSSAA won't be in favor of this? They want the money from the masses, not the few. And if they felt it was best they would have already done it. It is about money.

3. With 1 and 2 said who will run the tournament and pay for the tournament location? I would assume there are very free neutral site locations. Then whoever may decide to run it has the agony of dealing with the planning, working with staff and refs and some fan who always has something to complain about. Plus the insurance may be a little steep unless it is run as an NCHSA or AAU type tournament, but I'm not so sure those can be run as anything less than open tournaments.

4. Will the placers that qualify for this even take advantage of the opportunity? Mom and Dad will hae just spent around $1000 to $2000 for one trip to Franklin (if you are out of town and could be as high or low as your prefer and depend on family size). Can they afford another trip across the state? I would fear the participation interest especially from the lower placing wrestlers may not be as high as some think and if such a grand tourney was created surely we want full brackets. Also I believe some kids just wont be interested for whatever reason or we would see more TN wrestlers at the national tournaments after the season.

5. This is an unproven risky investment of money being new - who is going to step up and fund it? While i will not say it couldnt make money, i do believe it is a risk and would never be as profitable as the TSSAA tournament (remember the masses).

It is a good dream, but until someone or group with the funds, plan, and drive try to make it a reality I will not be holding my breath.

I think it's a great idea indeed! Why would anyone not want to support this idea. It takes the best that the state has to offer and puts them on the line to ultimately answer any questions about who is truely the best wrestler for their respective weight class.

This should be a one day tournament the weekend following the TSSAA sanctioned tournament. Can it not be a USA or AAU event? Or would that open the door to anyone holding a card the ability to take part?