Prep Slam

barrel

I was under the impression that TSSAA 300 mile rule was from the Tn state line and not the school address but I could be wrong. It would only make since that it would be considering how you can travel 300 miles within the state. Either way I see this rule as a huge set back for TN teams, along with the limited number of wrestling dates.

Direct quote from the TSSAA Handbook included below. Note that this applies to all sports.

Contests with Out-Of-State Teams

Section 2. Only one out-of-state trip involving travel in excess of 600 miles round-trip by a team of a member

school will be permitted during any one season.

I would agree that this is a limitation on TN sports.

In wrestling teams are lmiited to the following:

1) 4 individual tournaments

2) No more than 18 dates total

Also, not the below restriction. I don't know of many teams that take advantage of this.

Multiple Contests – In all individual sports (cross country, golf, track and field, tennis, and wrestling) individuals

accompanied by a coach may enter varsity competition at a different site on the same time and date, and this will

count as two days on the school’s schedule.

I agree these certainly hurt the opportunities of some of the teams. However, there are some states out there that are much more restrictive. TN seems to be in about the middle of the field on this issue at least.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the weigh-in system used in GA... that is certainly unique.

Edited by ghouse

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know in Georgia teams are allowed 20 dates not counting area and state duals as well as area, sectional, and state traditional. Also Georgia does not limit any traveling whatsoever, with the exception of competition against national prep schools that no longer compete within their state organization (new rule passed just a year or two ago after Collins Hill wrestled a very close dual with #1 Blair Academy).

As far as weigh-ins are concerned, it depends on the event. The GHSA allows teams to use satellite weigh-ins for weeknight duals as long as the head coach and a school administrator such as a principal or AD is present to sign off on the weigh-ins, both schools are allowed this option unless they both agreed prior to have head to head weigh-ins. Tournaments and dual tournaments have head to head weigh-ins at the event just like TN. Not a big difference than TN except the weekday option for satellite weigh-ins and it is not totally unique to Georgia as other states use the same or similar procedures. Allowances for consecutive days of competition are the same as far as I know.

Edited by rlwest40

I'm shocked that this tournament went from being one of the toughest tournaments in the Southeast, to what it is now. Missing quality competitors such as Calvary Chapel, the Kiski School, Archbishop Rummel, Bishop Lynch, this tournament is weak. I might be wrong but I feel like last year there were 45+ teams at the Prep Slam. While the Tennessee Schools still won it every year, it was much tougher. As of right now, before the finals this afternoon, the standings go Father Ryan, McCallie, Baylor. McCallie and Baylor both seem to have wrestled great tournaments, but the competition is down compared to what it has been.