Baylor v McCallie ending

ut18vols

"TBSFBAG will take it!" and that defines your program right there. Ton of respect for the history of the program, some of the great wrestlers of the past, but certainly not headed in the right direction now. Good news there are other options continuing to develop in the Chattanooga area where character and sportsmanship are emphasized ahead of winning.

In my therapy session, today my therapist noticed I was a little more odd than usual and she asked what seemed to be my problem? I told her that I was going thru rasslin and coacht withdraw and not being able to vent my frustration. Ms Finebody ( think thats her name) look at coacht and some of my past post and was astounded that I was still alive and how poor of a speller I was..

She said " why not post occasionally and when angered, limit your vents to 5 words"... So here goes..

Mocs2011, YOU ARE AN IDIOT!!!

Feel better already!

Bcb iii

Coach,

I am particularly interested in your take on why this was " a completley illegal move and the right call 100% without doubt."

I didn't think it was an illegal move at the time... what I saw was a situation that should have been stopped for potentially dangerous but I didn't have a good angle to judge. I have now reviewed the video from mat-side (which is an excellent angle for the call) several times and am yet to understand why this position was called illegal. I firmly believe it should have been stopped as potentially dangerous before it was stopped for being illegal, which I still feel it wasn't.

The move being executed was a chicken wing (arm bar to some) on the left arm and a half-nelson on the right arm. This is a perfectly legal pinning combination, however it does often result, and rightfully so, in a stoppages for potentially dangerous. A chicken wing becomes illegal when the pressure is taken parallel to the long axis of the body (the spine). Many of us know this as running it towards the head / shoulder. In this situation the pressure was clearly going across the bottom wrestler thus not making the chicken wing illegal.

From what I can see the position was stopped due to the position of the shoulder on the right where the half was being run. Once again, I can see nothing illegal in how that was executed from the perspective of the top wrestler. Rather than turn the bottom wrestler allowed his right shoulder to go above the head and be put in a position that should have been stopped for potentially dangerous (something common in wrestling currently).

Based on my understanding of the rules and what I see I can see no reason why this was called illegal. I would like to hear your logic as to why you believe this was an illegal hold and the right call 100% of the time as you stated. I believe the situation was = a ref simply make the wrong call because of a lack of experience or familiarity with the rules. Furthermore to prove my point just a little, it is common that in this type of position that if the official feels the position is likely to become illegal a seasoned official will verbally alert the top man to that potential stating "keep it legal", "don't take it forward", etc. none of which was done in this situation. In my opinion simply the wrong call made by the official.

None of that is the fault of the Baylor staff or the wrestlers... just a sad fact we have to deal with due to the state of officiating in TN. We just don't have a strong culture for improvement or discussion amongst most of our officials and until that changes we will struggle with consistency and application of rules.

Now, I will go ahead and lay out something else that, in my opinion, does belong at the feet of the Baylor staff. Why was a kid who hasn't practiced live since Cleveland Duals and, by your own admission, shouldn't have been out there (I am assuming nothing materially changed in his condition since the McCallie match, when you specifically stated he shouldn't have been out there) wrestling in the state duals semi-finals? To me it sounds like the Baylor staff was willing to put him out there in an attempt to win, without regard for whether he should have been or not. That doesn't sit real well with me... our first concern should be the development of young men, not wins and losses.

I disagree that the Baylor staff felt that they were "pretty much out of it" at the point where they chose to have Powell take the injury default. At the time there were 4 matches left which I am willing to bet the Baylor staff felt that they had a good chance at winning at least 3 of them since they had 3 very good wrestlers left. Hindsight makes your argument seem plausible but the match results weren't available at the time and the Baylor bench and fans didn't seem to think the match was over at that point.

It was pretty obvious that Powell didn't want to default, much to his credit as a competitor, but I can't blame the staff (or his father based on your indication) for pulling him... they just never should have put him in that situation.

A similar situation occurred several years ago in the NCAA's during Steve Mocco's freshman year at Iowa (I think it was freshman year) when he was called for an illegal move (can't remember what the move was now) and his opponent from Iowa State was injured. The Iowa State staff presumably didn't feel the illegal call was warranted or at a minimum did not want it to cost Mocco the match so they had their wrestler restart the match and then default out, thus allowing Mocco to advance in the bracket. Mocco would go on to win the NCAA's that year. That was an extreme example of coaches doing what they felt was right despite a rivalry involved (and we all know the Iowa / Iowa State rivalry is big).

I have always held the Baylor program in high regard under its former leadership. However, I have to say based on recent events that level of respect is slipping. Hopefully Coach Nelson can prove me wrong in the future but as of right now I can't feel too good about it. That's just me being honest.

Ms Finebody has an opening for you SirGhomer...Bet you kicked arse in those 5000 word essays!

Bcb iii

In my therapy session, today my therapist noticed I was a little more odd than usual and she asked what seemed to be my problem? I told her that I was going thru rasslin and coacht withdraw and not being able to vent my frustration. Ms Finebody ( think thats her name) look at coacht and some of my past post and was astounded that I was still alive and how poor of a speller I was..

She said " why not post occasionally and when angered, limit your vents to 5 words"... So here goes..

Mocs2011, YOU ARE AN IDIOT!!!

Feel better already!

Bcb iii

Glad to hear that you’re in therapy! Best of luck to that person. Were you at the state tournament this past weekend, see a recent dual match of interest, see a questionable referees call, anything current about wrestling, anything? If not, similar to last year—re-retire and just shut up!!! This board is for wrestling fans and you are just old, out of touch and irrelevant used to be wrestling parent.

Now, back to the McCallie vs. Baylor match ending and the 120 pound match against CBHS. Ghouse had a good post. I am looking forward to the responses.