Tyner (Chattanooga)

Whitwell

(teams above from TSSAA website)

East Hamilton will be joining them next year

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soddy brings home the championship despite losing 5 starters this season.

Soddy Daisy will show up with 14 young men wearing an SD, they are now the starters. I will say this on the subject. Opening night against Cookeville, the only match we had the guys that had won challenge matches. Soddy Daisy has lost 3 former state placers, 2 of which had been in the finals in previous years. 1 that had a good chance of making a nice run at state and a first year heavyweight that was making great strides on the mat. Soddy Daisy is now down to the 3rd man i line at 132 with an injury to Oliver over the weekend. 6 young men are now down, and will never wear the SD across their backs again. My friends, its been a very tuff season. The seniors have taken it really hard, but i expect them to rise to the challenge and lead their team into battle just as they have done for the last 4 years. Go TROJANS!

Looks like seeds and bracket is set according to the match-ups posted. When is the deadline for submitting the roster?

BTW

Does your boss over at CHECK INTO CASH know you are on here all the time..deadline is at weigh ins tomorrow....Hey I just met you and this is crazy but heres my number (615) 889-6740 call me ...maybe...or I can text you to keep you updated...not sure why you are asking but leave me your number and ill call you.... maybe

Edited by mfceo

BTW

Does your boss over at CHECK INTO CASH know you are on here all the time..deadline is at weigh ins tomorrow....Hey I just met you and this is crazy but heres my number (615) 889-6740 call me ...maybe...or I can text you to keep you updated...not sure why you are asking but leave me your number and ill call you.... maybe

I'm afraid you took that post totally out of context. From my understanding all of the regions held seed meetings earlier this week and judging from the original post it appears that at least this region has already built the brackets and has 1st round match-ups posted, so I was curious if other regions done the same thing. If so, then there must have been a deadline for submitting the teams' roster (seed meeting) in order to build the bracket and establish 1st round match-ups. Unless, this is just a preliminary bracket subject to change after the weigh-in. I'm not concerned with updates, the orginal post just struck my curiousity with all of the regions not just this one. BTW you're also mistaken on the subject of who my employer is and I don't ever remember meeting you, at least your name doesn't ring a bell. I hope this clarifes things for you.

Edited by rlwest40

Any updates..

Soddy-Daisy dominates, but Hixson leads at Region 4 tourney

Posted: Feb 08, 2013 11:14 PM CST

Updated: Feb 09, 2013 12:06 AM CST

By Keith Cawley, Sports Anchor - bio | email

OOLTEWAH, Tenn. (WRCB) -- Soddy-Daisy placed the most wrestlers in Saturday's championship semifinals, but Hixson claimed the overall points lead Friday after day one of the Region 4 Traditional Wrestling Tournament at Ooltewah High School.

The Trojans, who finished third in last week's Class AAA state duals and are the defending AAA traditional champs, advanced eleven grapplers to the final four of the winner's bracket, but amassed just 66 points in the process.

Hixson, who finished third in Class A/AA at last week's duals, advanced eight to the semifinals and racked up enough extra points in the consolation brackets to take the team points lead at 68.5

This is the latest I've found.

by Ward Gossett

view bio »

021013_WEB_d_Wrestling_t618.JPG?ba5b5b122dd3d37cc13d83e92a6a0ec0d5bfa32a

Central's Larry Dickerson, top, looks for an advantage over Jordan Russell of Ooltewah during the regional wrestling tournament Saturday at Ooltewah High School.

Photo by Jay Bailey.

Jim Higgins was a happy man Saturday.

The Soddy-Daisy wrestling coach's son Quentin was out of the house for the first time since his birth, and his first trip was to a tournament where 10 Trojans qualified for this week's state tournament.

With seven Region 4 champions and a runner-up in the meet at Ooltewah, the Soddy-Daisy wrestlers gave the coach his first traditional region title.

He downplayed it.

"It's better to have one than none, but I'm feeling good that we moved forward in a positive way as a group," he said.

The Trojans scored 224.5 points to 173.5 for runner-up Hixson. East Ridge was third with 158 points, Central was fourth with 116 and Signal Mountain rounded out the top five with 114.5.

The primary purpose for all 17 Region 4 teams was to qualify individuals for the state meet with the top four in each of the 14 weight classes advancing. Soddy-Daisy led the way with its 10. Hixson got nine, East Ridge seven, Central and Signal Mountain six apiece, Ooltewah five and Notre Dame four.

Howard, East Ridge and Chattanooga Christian qualified three each, and Tyner advanced one.

The Division I state tournament begins Thursday afternoon in Franklin.

While he was delighted about several things, Higgins seemed most pleased by what he saw from the Trojans, saying they looked and acted like their early-season team rather than the one that finished third in the state duals last weekend.

"The kids fought for each other, and I'm extremely elated with the outcome," he said. "It's different faces, but we looked like we did at the first of the season. For us it's about here and now and what's to come rather than what's in the past."

The Trojans' seven champions were Austin Houser (113 pounds), tournament most outstanding wrestler Jacob Stevens (120), best-match participant Tucker Russo (126), Austin Williamson (138), Gage Richmond (145), Garrett Alexander (170) and Blaike Henry (182).

East Ridge and Notre Dame were the only other teams with more than one winner. The Pioneers' champions were Brandon Cantrell (195), C.J. Baker (220) and Will Garner (285), while Luke Mullin (106) and Michael Labbe (160) were Notre Dame titlists.

Central's Larry Dickerson (152) and Ooltewah's Matt Lemons (132) were the other champs.

Hixson's nine qualifiers included three runners-up and four third-place finishers.

"It's the most we have taken in a long time, and one that wasn't seeded at all finished fourth," coach Garrick Hall said. "We could very easily have qualified 10 or 11."

Hall said Soddy-Daisy performed as he expected.

"They're a solid team," he said. "We tried to keep it close, and we gave them as much of a run as we could."

Bit more..

Region Mat Title

Hixson, East Ridge, Central, Signal Mountain Follow In Top Five

Saturday, February 09, 2013 - by John Hunt

It's been quite a week for coach Jim Higgins and his Soddy Daisy wrestling team.

The Trojans have had an outstanding season and had high expectations after winning both the State Duals and Traditional titles a year ago.  That Trojan train had been rolling right on down the track, but they sort of got derailed a bit last week when three starters were kicked off the team before the duals ever started.

Soddy Daisy came home a bit shaken after finishing third, but Higgins used this week as a springboard for the final two weeks of the season.

It's safe to say that hope has been restored after the Trojans won their fourth-straight Region 4 title at Ooltewah's Edward M. Foster Gymnasium Saturday afternoon.

The Trojans had trailed Hixson by 2.5 points following Friday's rounds, but after advancing eight of 11 semifinalists into the championship finals Saturday morning and then winning seven of those eight later in the day, the Trojans did indeed prevailed with 224.5 points.  They also qualified 10 for the state tournament, which begins Thursday in Franklin.

Hixson had a strong second day as well and advanced nine to Franklin while taking runner-up honors with 173.5 points.  East Ridge was third with 158 while Central and Signal Mountain completed the top five teams with 116 and 114.5 points, respectively.

"This was about on par for what I was expecting," said Higgins as he held a shoulder bag on one side and a baby carrier on the other.  Youngest son Quinton, who was born in early December, was sound asleep in the carrier with no cares in the world as he had total confidence his daddy had everything totally under control.

"This is his first wrestling match," he smiled as he looked down at his future Trojan.

"I'm extremely pleased with the effort.  These guys fought for each other all the way through.  We had talk earlier this week and I told them it's all about the present and the future, that we weren't going to look back.  It feels good to win my first region as the head coach, but I feel so much better today than I did last week and I feel like we're heading in the right direction," he added.

"I'm really proud of freshman Conner Stiles, who had only wrestled two or three varsity matches before qualifying for the state today.  That's a big deal for him.  I'm also proud of Luke Reno, who lost in the finals.  He's wrestled tough all year, but he had a tough kid today in C.J. Baker.

"Blaike (Henry) is firing on all cylinders and didn't allow a point all weekend while Jacob (Stevens) is a fireball and always goes for the throat from the start.  And I was really happy with Gage (Richmond), who won at 145 and avenged his loss to the Frazy kid," Higgins nodded.

Notre Dame's Luke Mullin captured the first individual title with a 10-0 major decision at 106 before Soddy Daisy's Austin Houser prevailed at 113.  Teammates Jacob Stevens and Tucker Russo followed with wins at 120 and 126.

Other champions for the Trojans included Austin Williamson at 138, Gage Richmond at 145, Garrett Alexander at 170 and Blaike Henry at 182.

East Ridge had three champions, including Brandon Cantrell at 195, C.J. Baker at 220 and Will Garner at 285.

Michael Labbe won at 160 to join Notre Dame teammate Mullin in the winner's circle.  Other champs included Central's Larry Dickerson at 152 and Ooltewah's Matt Lemons, who won everything at 132.

The 126-pound final between Soddy Daisy's Russo and Notre Dame's Packy Mullin was voted the Best Match.  The score was tied 1-1 after regulation but in a quick and most decisive way, the Trojan freshman scored a takedown at the end of the first overtime to prevail, 3-1.

Soddy Daisy's Stevens was voted the Best Wrestler after pinning his way to the championship, including the last one that ended in just 35 seconds.

Stevens had one of five pins in the finals and his was the second quickest.  East Ridge's Cantrell needed just 21 seconds to prevail at 195.

Hixson coach Garrick Hall had nothing but good things to say about his kids, who will take nine to Franklin next week.

"I thought we gave the best effort we possibly could and we're taking nine next week, which is the most for us in a long, long time. I was really happy for Nick Peck, who was unseeded at 145 but finished fourth.  That's big for our program.

"Soddy Daisy did about what I expected as they're a solid team from top to bottom," Hall nodded.

East Ridge coach Brad Laxton was also pretty-much happy with the way things turned out.

"I hate it for those who didn't advance, but we qualified seven and I'm happy about that.  I wish that my 220-pounder had been a little more aggressive, but we finished third behind Soddy Daisy and Hixson and we're proud of that," he nodded.

There were a handful of upsets among the top seeds, including two number-ones and four seconds.

Soddy Daisy's Jacob McClure got pinned in the first semifinal of the morning at 106 while Hixson's Landon Goforth lost a 6-2 decision to Notre Dame's Noah Bankston at 132.

Ironically, East Hamilton's Briar Potter was seeded second at 106 and he too lost in the semis.  So there was a match between the top two seeds at that weight, only in the consolation finals.

Other seconds to fall included Chattanooga Christian's Carter Thomas, who was knocked off in Friday night's championship quarters.  DeAngelo Johnson (160) of East Ridge, Ooltewah's Jordan Zink (182) and Central's Truman Martin (195) all lost in the semifinals.

LEGEND, FINAL TEAM SCORES & NUMBER OF STATE QUALIFIERS

1. Soddy Daisy (SD) 224.5 (10); 2. Hixson (Hix) 173.5 (9); 3. East Ridge (ER) 158 (7); 4. Chattanooga Central (Cen) 116 (6); 5. Signal Mountain (SM) 114.5 (6); 6. Notre Dame (ND) 99 (4); 7. Ooltewah (O) 96.5 (5); 8. Howard (How) 65 (3); 9. East Hamilton (EH) 58.5 (2); 10. Chattanooga Christian (CCS) 47 (3).

11. Red Bank (RB) 30 (O); 12. Tyner (T) 27 (1); 13. Brainerd (Br) 13 (O); 14. Sequatchie County (Seq) 11 (0); 15. Sale Creek (SC) 8 (0); 16. Boyd-Buchanan (BB) 6 (0); 17. Silverdale (Sil) and Whitwell (W) tied with 1 point and no qualifiers.

CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS

106 -- Luke Mullin (ND) major dec. Renardo Bussey (How), 10-0;

113 -- Austin Houser (SD) dec. Grayson Layne (Hix), 2-1;

120 -- Jacob Stevens (SD) pinned Brandon Whitley (ER), :35;

126 -- Tucker Russo (SD) dec. Packy Mullin (ND), 3-1 in overtime;

132 -- Matt Lemons (O) dec. Noah Bankston (ND), 7-5;

138 -- Austin Williamson (SD) dec. Ameer Jibrin (Hix), 2-1;

145 -- Gage Richmond (SD) dec. Michael Frazy (Cen), 9-5;

152 -- Larry Dickerson (Cen) pinned Jordan Russell (O), 3:34;

160 -- Michael Labbe (ND) dec. Aaron Alemany (H), 5-3 in overtime;

170 -- Garrett Alexander (SD) dec. Cale Shelton (SM), 3-1;

182 -- Blaike Henry (SD) pinned Harrison Hall (SM), 2:15;

195 -- Brandon Cantrell (ER) pinned Micah Pressley (SM), :21;

220 -- C.J. Baker (ER) dec. Luke Reno (SD), 5-2;

285 -- Will Garner (ER) pinned Antonio Woodall (How), 1:38.

CONSOLATION FINALS FOR THIRD PLACE

106 -- Jacob McClure (SD) dec. Briar Potter (EH), 7-4;

113 -- Bryson Lemons (Cen) pinned Warren Weaver (SM), 2:16;

120 -- Steven Skavenitis (Hix) pinned Matt Meeks (EH), :42;

126 -- Isaiah Hawthorne (Hix) pinned Spencer Griffy (ER), 1:22;

132 -- Landon Goforth (Hix) pinned Conner Stiles (SD), 1:36;

138 -- Robert McAvoy (ER) pinned Tyler Reid (O), 3:32;

145 -- Sam Murray (CCS) dec. Nick Peck (Hix), 8-3;

152 -- Kyler Kayonek (SM) dec. Chase Daughtery (T), 4-2;

160 -- Joe Drennan (SM) pinned DeAngelo Johnson (ER), 2:35;

170 -- Chris Nicholson (Hix) pinned James Hughes (Cen), 1:39;

182 -- Jordan Zink (O) dec. Chris Gaither (CCS), 7-2;

195 -- Truman Martin (Cen) pinned Ladarius Griffith (How), 3:18;

220 -- Max Kuenzli (CCS) pinned Casey Wallen (Hix), 2:54;

285 -- Sam Stephenson (Cen) major dec. Jacob Keltch (O), 10-1.

(Email John Hunt at nomarathonmoose@comcast.net)