Region 7A tournament

chipper_jones_4mvp

Lake Co had a good game play with a 3-2 zone as the big girls from UC didnt make that much a difference in scoring but were still a presence on defense and on the boards.Once LC went to a 1-3-1 zone with maybe 5 foot Yancy under the basket.UC scored immediately.Don't know what LC was evenn thinking on that by leaving Yancy all alone under the basket.Also were about 8 or 10 points either late in the 3rd quarter or very early in the 4th.UC shot ar air ball that went out of bounds.The officials called a T on LC coach.What could a coach have said that would have required a t with Lake Co getting the ball.That was a big play at the moment because instead of Lake Co getting the ball,UC shot 2 fr ee throws and got the ball themselves.Lake Co came down and score after that on two straight possessions and Shamon scored and was fouled on one of the plays.She missed but LC would have only been 5 behind had it not been for the T.Had she made the free throw would have been down only 4.I think UC shot 22 free throws to LC's 4.Maybe made 18 of those while LC made 2.Beleve LC outscored UC from the field.Lake Co also missed a ton of layups and easy shots.Yancy could have scored 20 points had she hit those.She can be a very good player,has speed,sometimes shows moves only a few can do but has trouble finishing.She needs to spen all off season working on a shot from outside and shooting layups .She can be a very good player.Just still a little raw and young.A great effort.But Union City is just too much this year.And also played without a starter,the Bynum girl.

Edited by mrbigster

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bigster I don' want to beat a dead horse and the officials didn't decide the game, it was clearly a UC win. But the ref who called the technical acted like he had a bone to pick with LC and the coaches from the beginning. I thought the other two were actually pretty good. Not sure why he called the tech, my daughter thought he actually called it on the assistant coach. But I could see Coach Johnson arguing your exact point.."why would I say anything to you, I was talking to my girls". Thought he was wrong on a couple of fouls he gave us that should have been jump balls as well. I also still haven't figured out how in the world they fouled Yazzie out and gave Kheela Jones a technical on the scramble for the ball on the floor on our end......the correct call would have simply been jump ball. But they made it into a five minute ordeal! Then there was the Nettles chest bump on our end of the court and words exchanged that certainly had to be worse than what we got a technical for and they just pretended it never happened?? I'm sure that UC could mention some bad calls as well, it is just the nature of high school basketball right now. On a side note, how bout the pass that hit Reedy in the head and knocked her down? That was crazy......but she is tough and got right back up. Anyway before everybody starts screaming we are blaming the refs again, I am not. They did not decide the game. Just discussing some of their questionable moments.

As for sub-state, I am pulling for Madison Academic to win. I know alot of people think Middleton is the better match-up for us, and I was at the Middleton game when they beat us. Middleton beat us in the second quarter because for whatever reason we refused to get back on defense. It was the worst effort of the year for LC and they looked fatigued. They had just beaten Greenfield at Greenfield the night before in overtime, didn't get home til after midnight, and then had to make that long drive to Middleton for an afternoon game. I remember thinking after that game that I hoped we would play them again because I felt like we could beat them if we were playing well. But I would rather drive to Jackson and play at Liberty which is one of our girls favorite places to play. We have a near perfect if not perfect record at Liberty and all of our girls were there when we beat Madison last year in sub-state. Those little things factor into the game. I also think that Middleton has a true homecourt advantage while Madison does not because we will bring a huge crowd to Jackson and play in a gym we are used to. We have also played against Madison's big girls since middle school and are not intimidated by their size. I think if we get a really good effort from our girls we will be fine, but I know it's not going to be easy and nobody is going to give us a trip to Murfreesboro.

Better not count 15A out just yet.The top four teams were so closely matched that they are battle tested more than ever this year,and though I don't think any 15A team is as good overall as in the past four or five seasons,the two left standing aren't cupcakes.Middleton has the tools to beat anyone...#1 is cat quick and dangerous anytime you leave her room to shoot, #5 isn't a threat off the dribble but don't forget where she's at if she can set her feet with time to get a shot off.Then there's #42 to deal with,she's tall and athletic,has a great touch on her shot,and can take a doubleteam off the dribble or in the post.Good news is they're freshmen and soph's and can be rattled,but not easily...better get 'em this year while they're beatable.Madison has some size in the post with three tall girls who can all play...they're all good,not great.The Washington kid is solid at guard,but the fuel that runs the engine for Madison is #11...don't leave her room to shoot inside the 26-27 foot range,and she doesn't need much to get one off.In addition to the shot she's the best pure point guard in the district,the best way to defend her is to keep the ball out of her hands as much as possible.With at least two big's in the post she will get the ball to one of them in good position to score if she has breathing room at all.If the ball goes down low,don't crash the boards with the guards either,if a layup's not there and one of the guards is open it'll come back out for the shot.Good luck to all four left...time to bring one west!

I thought the same thing.Maybe was hollering at one of the players.Cant believe he would have said anything to the official when we were getting the ball.No reason for him to.Overall a good game plan by Coach Johnson other than that one time with Yancy down low.Like LC not letting the big girls do much down low.Maybe should have guarded Reedy a little closer as she hit about 3 big three pointers and let Fair and the other little girl shoot outside and they made a couple big shots in the first half,But I'd have let them keep shooting.But still a good plan,they played hard and just lost to a very good team.

Edited by mrbigster

Bigster I don' want to beat a dead horse and the officials didn't decide the game, it was clearly a UC win. But the ref who called the technical acted like he had a bone to pick with LC and the coaches from the beginning. I thought the other two were actually pretty good. Not sure why he called the tech, my daughter thought he actually called it on the assistant coach. But I could see Coach Johnson arguing your exact point.."why would I say anything to you, I was talking to my girls". Thought he was wrong on a couple of fouls he gave us that should have been jump balls as well. I also still haven't figured out how in the world they fouled Yazzie out and gave Kheela Jones a technical on the scramble for the ball on the floor on our end......the correct call would have simply been jump ball. But they made it into a five minute ordeal! Then there was the Nettles chest bump on our end of the court and words exchanged that certainly had to be worse than what we got a technical for and they just pretended it never happened?? I'm sure that UC could mention some bad calls as well, it is just the nature of high school basketball right now. On a side note, how bout the pass that hit Reedy in the head and knocked her down? That was crazy......but she is tough and got right back up. Anyway before everybody starts screaming we are blaming the refs again, I am not. They did not decide the game. Just discussing some of their questionable moments.

That was not a pass that knocked Reedy down, it waas a CHEAP shot by Gray that should have resulted in an ejection. If the film makes it to TSSAA I doubt Gray will be allowed to play the next couple of games. Go look for yourself at game film and see why Reedy went down.

That was not a pass that knocked Reedy down, it waas a CHEAP shot by Gray that should have resulted in an ejection. If the film makes it to TSSAA I doubt Gray will be allowed to play the next couple of games. Go look for yourself at game film and see why Reedy went down.

I honesty didnt see the play.But Reedy elbows and bull dozing her way at times and seems to never get called for anything.Are you sure it wasn't unintentional .There's a differnce between a cheap shot and knowingly doing it and maybe not knowing.UC has their big girls throw elbows a lot of times on rebounds.If they do hit somebody ,will be called a foul but would think that could also be an ejection.Maybe the play you're talking about was like the college rule,a number 1 like the Shaq Goodwin foul a week or so ago.Not a Phase 2 foul resulting in an ejection and maybe sitting a game..

Edited by mrbigster

Foul wasn't intentional.If it was intentionally,they wouldve called it.Nothing wrong with a hard foul if its not intentional.Don't give up a 3 point play on a tick tack foul.You going to foul them,then foul them and dont let them make the shot.

Good luck to you guys .Think yall have a shot to win it all.Just LC getting there would be a huge compliment to the girls for playing hard with losing the girls they lost from last year.Could have lost to South fulton or gleason and not make it this far but they have exceeded what I was expecting this year.

As for sub-state, I am pulling for Madison Academic to win. I know alot of people think Middleton is the better match-up for us, and I was at the Middleton game when they beat us. Middleton beat us in the second quarter because for whatever reason we refused to get back on defense. It was the worst effort of the year for LC and they looked fatigued. They had just beaten Greenfield at Greenfield the night before in overtime, didn't get home til after midnight, and then had to make that long drive to Middleton for an afternoon game. I remember thinking after that game that I hoped we would play them again because I felt like we could beat them if we were playing well. But I would rather drive to Jackson and play at Liberty which is one of our girls favorite places to play. We have a near perfect if not perfect record at Liberty and all of our girls were there when we beat Madison last year in sub-state. Those little things factor into the game. I also think that Middleton has a true homecourt advantage while Madison does not because we will bring a huge crowd to Jackson and play in a gym we are used to. We have also played against Madison's big girls since middle school and are not intimidated by their size. I think if we get a really good effort from our girls we will be fine, but I know it's not going to be easy and nobody is going to give us a trip to Murfreesboro.

Was on the sub state prediction thread and was told that Madison plays there home games at Oman arena.