Mr. Football 2013

RegisP90X

Here's what Bud Adams had to say at the TN Mr. Football Awards this year:

"High school football in Tennessee enjoys a great tradition throughout the state and we are pleased to join the TSSAA for the fifth consecutive year in saluting these fine young men at the Tennessee Titans Mr. Football Awards," said Adams. "The young men that are recognized with these awards are truly the best of the best! They are selected not only for their football skills, but for their strong character and academic achievements and we're honored to join the TSSAA in saluting them!"

I agree that the award is awarded to more than just athletic achievement. It places an emphasis on the classroom as well. They are taking the term "student athlete" into consideration when chosing the winner. Bottom line is, if you want to be Mr. Football, you better have a great year on the field, a super transcript, and strong character refereneces.

When did it change? Strong character and a super transcript were not prerequisites in the 80's when it was called the Gill Gideon Mr Football Awards. It was solely based on the best player on the field.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not gonna disrespect the kid from Grace but im still baffled....

grades, civic duty, etc. shouldnt have a thing to with this process... if that was the case wont all the Christian school kids have a leg up on us public school ppl? Seeing as many private schools require students to do alot more... Idk I just think it should all be left out on the field...this is the Mr. Football award not the Walter Peyton Man (Kid) of the Year Award.

Not gonna disrespect the kid from Grace but im still baffled....

grades, civic duty, etc. shouldnt have a thing to with this process... if that was the case wont all the Christian school kids have a leg up on us public school ppl? Seeing as many private schools require students to do alot more... Idk I just think it should all be left out on the field...this is the Mr. Football award not the Walter Peyton Man (Kid) of the Year Award.

This has been the criteria for several years, not sure how long. I don't know the kids from Grace that won the award. From what I understand, they both excelled in the classroom.

I understand what you guys are saying, but right now, this is the way it is decided. And I agree with the process. I want a kid to win it that is worthy and is going to make something out of their lives. It's also not called The Mr. Statistics Award. If it were called by that name, the kid from Huntingdon would have won it this year.

Why did High and Hurd win it? Did they have the highest GPA and best character, statistics is why what they did on the field.

I can't speak to why Hurd won it, I don't know very much about him. I do know that Charlie High has an exceptional transcript and is very active in the Knoxville community.

I do agree that his numbers warranted his award this year and last year.

I'm sure the Hurd kid is just as worthy in the classroom and community as described in the criteria for the award.

Is Warbritton a senior this year? If so, where is he playing next year? What kind of offers did he get. I've heard he had a great year.

yeah he was a senior, we played him twice he was Huntingdons Mr. Reliable. I dont know the offers he got but from what I hear he's not seriously considering playing College Football he's wants to play Baseball...thats just what I hear but rumors in Carroll Co can get ridiculous so who knows.

If Hurd can stay healthy, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he wins it again next year for AAA. Him committing to UT will not hurt his chances, and with Beech losing so much from last year's team, many of their fans say Hurd is expected to carry an even bigger load this season (by also playing defense). That could help or hurt his chances, though. He could go all out beast mode on defense, have another insane year running the ball, and basically solidify himself as one of the greatest players in state history. Or, his playing defense could negatively affect his offensive production. Playing both ways is tiresome, even for a freakish athlete like Hurd.

When's the last time somebody won it twice? The 80's?

When did it change? Strong character and a super transcript were not prerequisites in the 80's when it was called the Gill Gideon Mr Football Awards. It was solely based on the best player on the field.

where did the kid from sp that won it last year go to play at