Cutting weight at 50lbs. Really Murfreesboro Elite?

knuckles1975

Wildcats kid won the region at 45 lbs which qualified him to represent our region in the region duals the day after state. Murfreesboro coach told us he has to wrestle a 50 lb. kid who didn't even win his region for the 45 lb spot. The 50 lb midget division supposedly only weighs 47 lbs (though he looked more like 50 pounder to me) and is going to drop a pound. My argument was the kid did even win his region. The whole thing is that this kids coach is the one coaching the team. It is what it is I guess. Bad example for kids in my opinion. Bad coach that allows his wrestler to do this in my opinion.

Edited by knuckles1975

Coach

I am so sorry that you are to stupid to comprehend the point of the K-5 all star team. Its not to stroke your ego about your kid, its to get the best wrestlers on the team so we can pick the kids for team Tennessee. If you don’t like the way its being done, quit focusing on your kid and get involved with the state. Quit coming on coach T and complaining about how things are done, and actually do something. I am so sick of whiney #### dads getting on here always complaining about how their kids got robbed of this opportunity or that opportunity when all they do is focus on their kid only and don’t give a crap about the rest of the state. You know who got robbed, every kid on my team. Year in and year out I focus my time on TNAAU and kids across the state. I spend my time at the head table fixing brackets, giving out medals, dealing with whiney people like you, and so on. When I should be in the corner coaching my wrestlers. Its people like you that run the good volunteers off because “no good deed goes unpunishedâ€. I created the TOP 100 and I catch crap from parents like you every day because you feel like it screwed your kid. I introduced the paperless system to Tennessee. I created criteria for our region dual team because nobody else would do it, and I catch crap from people like you because little Timmy could not win a challenge match. I AM DONE WITH IT. I will do no more for wrestling in the state. After next weekend, I will only focus on my child and my club ONLY. I hope you are happy. You just made wrestling in Tennessee and AAU weaker, and I am not the only person that people like you have run off. I hope you have the brains and the drive (I doubt it) to pick up the ball and improve the state. I guess only time will tell.

Oh, now back to the issue at hand, no region champ was guaranteed any slot on the K-5 team because we must choose between tots, bantams, midgets and juniors. I am sorry that your son (think you might be bias) should be on a team over a kid who beat him in a wrestle off for that slot. Rather than sit here and complain, teach your kid to work a little harder, and maybe he will come out on top next time.

Don’t be mad at me; be mad at your coach for not communicating. Here is the exact email that was sent to your coach them on Feb 21st and what was explained in the coaches meeting. Pay close attention to the provided examples. The 55lb and 116lb examsples cover this scenario (MUST BE CLOSE ON WEIGHT).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coaches,

Middle school is a very straight forward selection process. However, the elementary team is not. We have 4 divisions that we must select the team from. Below are the criteria that will be used. Please pass this on to your parents. They must understand the challenge matches will occur after the region championship. If a lower level wrestler (midget, bantam, etc...) plans to challenge, they will need to return to the tournament by 4PM the day of regions.

Below is a breakdown of the Elementary dual weight classes. Please note some of the weight classes are different than our standard weights. With that said, the team will be filled starting with juniors and working our way down (wrestlers must be in grades k-5). This means a junior in 6th grade is not eligible.

I also understand in some cases a lower level wrestler may be better than the senior level wrestler, so we will give them option to challenge. However, in an effort to reduce the number of challenge matches we will use the below criteria.

2]1. Slot is assigned to highest placing 5th grader for all Juniors in that weight class (should they want it)

2]2. Lower level wresters who are region champs can challenge for that slot.

2]3. Whoever wins the challenge match would have that slot.

Challenge matches will occur at the conclusion of the tournament (all wresters in challenge matches must report at 4PM). This means juniors will need to plan on staying until the tournament is over and Midgets will need to stay or come back for the challenge match.

Below is an example of selection criteria:

Dual weight class 55lbs – Slot will go to highest placing Junior (5th Grade) at 60lbs (must be close on weight). If a the region champ in the Midget declare a challenge, they will wrestle off after 4PM and winner will earn slot.

Dual weight class 60lbs – Slot will go to highest placing Junior (5th Grade) at 60lbs.If a the region champ in the Midget declare a challenge, they will wrestle off after 4PM and winner will earn slot.

Dual weight class 116lbs - Slot will go to highest placing Junior (5th Grade) at 112lbs or 120lbs (120 has to be close on weight). If both weights want the slot, there will be challenge match around 4PM after tournament. The midget 120 (must be close on weight) if a region champ can challenge the above winner.

Edited by salterjd

Here is the roster for the region 4 team. Also, if anyone knows somebody who can fill the missing weights, please have them contact me ASAP.

40 - Joseph Calvin (Mount Juliet)

45 - Brady Bramble (Murfreesboro Elite)

50 - Elis Haney (Cookeville)

55 - Nicholas Mercante (Mount Juliet)

60 - Eli Clemmons (Lebanon)

65 - Christian Morris (RCA)

70 - Justin Brown (Murfreesboro Elite)

75 - Noah Horst (Beech)

80 - Jacob Weeks (Tullahoma)

85 - Kris Green (Cookeville)

90 - Cale Duncalf (Murfreesboro Elite)

95 - Bristin Hulsey ( Raven)

100 -

108 - Ethan Cumby (Cookeville)

116 -

125 -

135 -

148 - Tyler Abernathy (Southside)

190 - Ryan Jackson (Wildcats)

HWT -

Here is a breakdown by team. I would challenge anyone to dispute the teams with multiple kids are not the top three K-5 teams in the region (not in any order).

Cookeville - 3

Murfreesboro Elite - 3

Mount Juliet - 2

Raven - 1

Beech - 1

Lebanon - 1

RCA - 1

Southside - 1

Tullahoma - 1

Wildcats - 1

Here is the roster for the region 4 team. Also, if anyone knows somebody who can fill the missing weights, please have them contact me ASAP.

40 - Joseph Calvin (Mount Juliet)

45 - Brady Bramble (Murfreesboro Elite)

50 - Elis Haney (Cookeville)

55 - Nicholas Mercante (Mount Juliet)

60 - Eli Clemmons (Lebanon)

65 - Christian Morris (RCA)

70 - Justin Brown (Murfreesboro Elite)

75 - Noah Horst (Beech)

80 - Jacob Weeks (Tullahoma)

85 - Kris Green (Cookeville)

90 - Cale Duncalf (Murfreesboro Elite)

95 - Bristin Hulsey ( Raven)

100 -

108 - Ethan Cumby (Cookeville)

116 -

125 -

135 -

148 - Tyler Abernathy (Southside)

190 - Ryan Jackson (Wildcats)

HWT -

Here is a breakdown by team. I would challenge anyone to dispute the teams with multiple kids are not the top three K-5 teams in the region (not in any order).

Cookeville - 3

Murfreesboro Elite - 3

Mount Juliet - 2

Raven - 1

Beech - 1

Lebanon - 1

RCA - 1

Southside - 1

Tullahoma - 1

Wildcats - 1

Salterjd... I think you have done a wonderful job with AAU. Please dont let a few goofs keep you from doing your thing. If you just coach in corner you will make an easier target for the cough drops!!!!

Salterjd... I think you have done a wonderful job with AAU. Please dont let a few goofs keep you from doing your thing. If you just coach in corner you will make an easier target for the cough drops!!!!
LOL, very true. But then Wes will get mad at me (and give me the finger) because you wasted all of his cough drops hitting kids looking up at the lights. Edited by salterjd

I am not the father of this kid. My son wrestles for the middle school. What was told to the father and the coach was the kid,that was challenging, was going to cut weight to make the 45lb weight class. If that is the case it is very very wrong! I am glad that you have done so much for the wrestling community. I don't believe I ever questioned any of that. I am truly sorry you felt you had to give your resume. I still believe 50 lb kids should not be cutting weight, and by allowing a kid to wrestle off for a spot below his actual weight is wrong! Especially when we are talking about kids that are not overweight! All these concerns were expressed at the tournament. I understand the rules but do not agree with them. Maybe this post will inform others of the rules so you won't have to deal with any more Whinney #### parents. Thanks Travis Belcher.

I am not the father of this kid. My son wrestles for the middle school. What was told to the father and the coach was the kid,that was challenging, was going to cut weight to make the 45lb weight class. If that is the case it is very very wrong! I am glad that you have done so much for the wrestling community. I don't believe I ever questioned any of that. I am truly sorry you felt you had to give your resume. I still believe 50 lb kids should not be cutting weight, and by allowing a kid to wrestle off for a spot below his actual weight is wrong! Especially when we are talking about kids that are not overweight! All these concerns were expressed at the tournament. I understand the rules but do not agree with them. Maybe this post will inform others of the rules so you won't have to deal with any more Whinney #### parents. Thanks Travis Belcher.

Travis,

Let me apologize to you, I am sorry. I thought you were the Dad. I should not have jumped to that conclusion. For that I was wrong and I apologize.

Now I will say the father is spreading mistruths about the situation; I have seen emails he sent to TNAAU complaining about me and the selection process. For instance, he now claims that he asked me to weigh the kids before the challenge match, which is a flat out lie. He also claims I failed to notify anyone that you did not need to be a region champ to be on the team, again a lie. The fact is many non-region champs on the team over bantam champions. It only makes sense that an older wrestler would beat a younger wrestler. The place does not matter it’s a K-5 tournament.

I honestly can’t believe we are even having this conversation. The region results have no impact on the team. I as the volunteer coach chose to use them as a baseline for getting kids to wrestle off, but the goal is to get the best k-5 at each weigh on the team. Travis, how many wrestling rooms have you been in for dual team challenge matches? The wrestler does not have to make weight to challenge for the slot on the team for a tournament a week away. They must be within a reasonable weigh where they can make it. We want the BEST!

Here is the truth; there was a 2lb difference between these wrestlers. And they wrestled off. Asking a child to lose one pound is not cutting weight. The best kid won a very close match. We will all have to agree to disagree. I would like to nominate the wildcats plan and organize the region 4 K-5 team for next year. This should give you enough time to plan and communicate the selection criteria to all parents in the region. GOOD LUCK making everyone happy !!!

John, thanks for stepping up as always. Now you see what I have had to deal with all these years trying to put together the state team. The multiple age groups on one team really confuses people. I had an hour long argument with a tot parent about why his undefeated very large tot more than likely would not make the team over a very small junior . It was totally escaping his grasp that the novice was almost 5 years older and his tot would probably get hurt in a challenge match.

Edited by YOUTHCOACH16

Salter,

First of all, thank you for all the sacrifices you have made and time you have given to our state! You sir deserve the Congressional Medal of Honor! Really??? You jackwagon!

You come on here as a representative of TN AAU and act like a thug running off your mouth about ALL you have done to better the state, well guess what man, there are tons of others who are working their butts off just like you behind the scenes that take away time from their families and teams for the betterment of the state. I'm sorry, but you are not the state savior! You created the Top 100, well big deal. I never thought it was the best idea anyway, but great job, kudos to you. And you introduced the paperless system to TN? HAHAHAHAHAAA You may have suggested that we use it in the one state tournament (and it was not good). Others in the state have been running a paperless system far longer than when you "introduced it to TN." I guess you & Al Gore must have also invented the Internet?? You are the reason we were slow to transition to track because your love for the paperless tourny. Just because you send out an email with selection criteria doesn't mean you have reinvented the wheel.

Thank you for finally quitting. Have fun coaching your team. Stay in your corner and thank god we don't have to listen to your mouth on the pa any longer.

I hope the state can survive without you. Fingers crossed.

billthebutcher, I mean truthsquad, you're back... I will be the first to admit that I have disagreed with Salter on a number of things but he has never hide behind an internet identity spouting off garbage. Rather has continued to volunteer his time for our great sport. That of course is something I cannot say regarding you. I was more than available for conversing with you at the Arlington Top 100 Tournament, so that you could share your ideas of how we can better AAU Wrestling in Tennessee. Large in part because all you want to do is bash those giving of their time on a message board. Unfortunately, you chose not to show. I will give you the benefit of the doubt given it snowed that weekend somewhere in the state and invite you to share your ideas once again Sunday during the duals... All you have to do is find YOUTHCOACH16, he will point you in my direction.