Nashville Christian 2013

http://nashvillechristiansports.com

In the the past there has not been much discussion about the Nashville Christian Eagles so I thought I would start a thread. Below I posted comments from Donovan Stewart's article from the examiner on his preseason Class A top 10 picks. examiner.com. His assessment is pretty good and I believe the Eagles have the potential to be even better next year than last. We shall see.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Nashville Christian Eagles

Last Season’s Record- 11-3, lost to Huntingdon in Semifinals

Head Coach- Jeff Brothers

Region-10-A

Returning Starters On Offense/Defense-8/7

Offense- Multiple I

Defense- 3-5-3

Key Returnees- Ryan Young (QB, Sr.), Trent Mueller (LB, Sr.), Alex Givens (OL, Jr.), Chase Clemmer(OL, Sr.), Malcolm Swann (DL, Soph.), Houston Downey (WR/DB, Sr.).

Key Losses- Phillip Booker (RB), Hunter Kinslow (WR), Cameron Clark (DB), Hayden Boucher (OL), Michael Paszek (DL)

Spring Strengths- The Eagles return quarterback Ryan Young who was solid in his first year at the controls in 2012. Also back will be leading tackler Trent Mueller who made 130 stops and had four sacks in 2012. Nashville Christian return 15 starters and will ride the momentum of the school's first trip to the Semifinals

Spring Questions- Replacing running back Phillip Booker who rushed for over 1,800 yards and scored 32 touchdowns will be at the top of coach Jeff Brothers to do list.

Finding starters on both the offensive and defensive lines will be a priority for Brothers as well.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the rest of class A overlooks the Eagles like they have the last 2 years. The Eagles did give up a few big pass plays to Collinwood, and I will give #9 credit as his athleticism kept that game close. #9 is a good athlete and has lots of potential. Like Booker you remove #9 from the game NCS wins easily over Trojans. NCS was up 28 to 14 halfway through the 3rd quarter.

I hope the rest of class A overlooks the Eagles like they have the last 2 years. The Eagles did give up a few big pass plays to Collinwood, and I will give #9 credit as his athleticism kept that game close. #9 is a good athlete and has lots of potential. Like Booker you remove #9 from the game NCS wins easily over Trojans. NCS was up 28 to 14 halfway through the 3rd quarter.

One thing is certain.... next year.... to get to Cookeville..... you won't have to go thru Huntingdon!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They will not be as good. Lost Booker. Defense was not very good. Saw them play collinwood and without booker they would have lost 45-7. I dont see them as a top ten team. But who really knows.

No doubt Booker was a huge talent. Any word on colleges for him? Will he take football or track?

• 3 months later...

http://nashvillechristiansports.com/

Story from TheCityPaper by Harold Huggins.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 at 9:00p

At first glance, replacing a tailback who rushed for 1,800 yards and scored 32 touchdowns might not be the easiest thing.

Nashville Christian School might just have the answer in lightning fast Daniel Bituli. The sleek 6-foot-3, 200-pound sophomore is more than willing to take on the challenge of filling the footsteps of Phillip Booker, last year’s leading ball carrier.

“Phillip was a great athlete, and it was inspiring to watch him run,†Bituli said after the Eagles’ first organized practice earlier this week. “I am ready to step in and do my job, whatever it takes for us to win.

“My goal is to win at least one state championship, hopefully more. I’m hoping I can break some of his rushing records, because that would help us win.â€

Booker, who is headed to Murray State, rushed for close to 4,000 career yards. He finished with 1,827 yards and 28 rushing touchdowns, 32 in all. He also won the TSSAA state A/AA high hurdles event in track his final two years at NCS.

“Last year, we had a guy who could literally score from 100 yards out with his amazing speed,†coach Jeff Brothers, who has taken his first three NCS teams to the playoffs, said. “In Daniel, we have a guy with a lot of downhill power who also has a great deal of speed, also capable of going that 100 yards. They are different type of runners, but Daniel gives us a little more power.

“He may be our next great tailback.â€

Last year, NCS reached the semifinals of the Class A playoffs. With a loss at Huntingdon it fell one game short of its first finals appearance and ended 11-3.

With a bit more offensive diversity, the Eagles are looking for a longer trip in the postseason this year. One preseason poll has them ranked No. 7 in Class A.

“We all have to come out each practice and game prepared,†Bituli said. “If we do, we will be ready each gameday.â€

The Eagles, with 15 starters and 10 seniors returning, are chomping at the bit to start the season. That comes with their Aug. 23 opener at Harpeth. A key region game looms Sept. 20 at old rival Jo Byrns.

Among that seasoned group is senior quarterback Ryan Young, who came into his own last season.

“Ryan really stepped it up the last half of the season,†Brothers, a former Brentwood Academy star quarterback, said. “He passed for 805 yards his last 2two and a half games.

Trent Muller, a leading candidate for Mr. Football nomination, anchors the defense. The 5-foot-11, 220-pound linebacker had 130 tackles last year, 100 of them solo, and two fumble recoveries.

“He has striker type of defensive mentality and he’s extremely intelligent, just a great all-around player,†Brothers said.

If Bituli develops and fits into the offense as expected, the Eagles should evolve into one of the most formidable teams in Class A this season.

“Of course, Phillip was a huge part of our offense last year,†Young, who directs the Eagles’ shotgun attack, said. “This year, I think we are more balanced with running and passing. We can do a lot of different things. And Daniel is going to play a big part in that.

“As for myself, I just want to do whatever I can do to help us win and prepare as best I can. Whatever is needed is what I will do. … We have some outstanding receivers, our line is very good, and I think we are going to do very well.â€

http://nashvillecity...son-appearances

Edited by youthsportsPIX