Brentwood vs. Blackmon

terop

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like you're putting alot on Brentwood, I wish I could've actually seen the game to comment further but shooting 50 percent from the 3 point line for a majority of the game helped OR mightily. If Johnson plays better then I think Southwind rolls comfortably. Eh... similiar to OR game, I'll increase the spread a little bit.

Swind - 75

Brentwood - 51

Any details on what Brentwood likes to do for tempo etc? If they're a team that wants to muck it up and look for the best shot it'll drastically change my prediction/thoughts.

Well, who else does Southwind have besides their starting 5 & sixth man? Are you saying they're as deep as Brentwood is? Just curious.

Well, they are pretty dang good, don't you think? lol To have all of your losses except for 2 to be from elite out of state opponent and the 2 in state to Ridgeway who was prob the best in the state until the scandal..I say that starting 5 and 6th man must be pretty dang good, don't you think? Look man, i honestly hope Brentwood wins, i get tired of Memphis teams winning, but at this point it will be a prayer for you guys to keep it within 15.

Well, they are pretty dang good, don't you think? lol To have all of your losses except for 2 to be from elite out of state opponent and the 2 in state to Ridgeway who was prob the best in the state until the scandal..I say that starting 5 and 6th man must be pretty dang good, don't you think? Look man, i honestly hope Brentwood wins, i get tired of Memphis teams winning, but at this point it will be a prayer for you guys to keep it within 15.

I'm not going to predict scores...our program is too process-driven for that.

But for what it's worth, two of our top three forwards were out for most of the game yesterday against Blackman; one with an injury sustained early in the third quarter and one with foul trouble. Given that Blackman basically played their normal lineup the entire game, I believe this to be a testament to the Bruins' depth and senior leadership.

Anyways, I will give you some raw data on Brentwood's four losses this season:

1) Lost@ likely AA champ CPA by five (and led at the half) in the second game of the season. Jalen Lindsey and Braxton Blackwell, two national blue-chip players, went off in the second half and they still didn't win it until the final 20 seconds.

2) Lost@Blackman handily on Blackman's best shooting night in years: they made 16 treys, which is like a mutated version of what we had done to teams at that point. The game before that, we lost our defensive ace and starting center Will Jones for the season to a broken foot. Also, during the third quarter, we lost our then-incumbent star forward Cody Shelton for an indefinite period of time due to a leg injury. They had their best offensive night of the year, and it was one of those nights where our shots just weren't falling and things got out of control.

3) Sitting at 25-2 and riding a 17-game winning streak into the district tourney (when we were already eligible for region before it started), Hillsboro took advantage of another uncommon occasion where our shots were just somehow rimming out all night, tying us at the buzzer to send the game into overtime. We had already swept them in the season. But in part because Hillsboro was hosting the region tourney, the crowd helped will them to a win in OT.

4) The previous night's district tourney opener started at 8:30 pm. In the consolation game at 5:30, it was the one game this season where our players looked noticeably tired, listless, and unmotivated. Since only a third or fourth region seed was at stake, a Ravenwood team we had also swept in the regular season (which almost beat Hillsboro in the region semis) took this an opportunity for avenge their pride against us while we just couldn't muster the will to execute properly or play with intensity.

-------------------------------------

Now I just named four pretty solid teams there, reflecting the downside of a 30-4 record against a Top 5 overall strength-of-schedule. Clearly our experience in winning close games paid off some in our re-match with Blackman, did it not? Blackman was not used to fighting out in some close games (save Siegel) and our poise and experience in close-game situations ultimately gave us the edge over Blackman as the clock ticked down.

Today and last night we have studied Southwind extensively and they are a great team, especially for the postseason once you start shortening the rotation. They have the utter physical and skilled capability to blow just about any team out if that team isn't being physical and going to war on the boards.

That said, my ultimate point is not to underestimate Brentwood. Ask around the state and you will not find many coaches eager to play us.

The key to B-Wood is if there hitting their shots. If they are hitting their shots they can play with anyone. 30 and 40 are the heart and soul of the team. I can't understand how Blackman let the best shooter on their team take a wide open shot from his favorite place to shoot from on the court. Brentwood does like playing up tempo but they look to kick it out more than taking it to the rack. Whoever scouted Brentwood for Blackman did a poor job. Blackmans defense was non existent in the second half. Left too many wide open shots combined with poor outside shooting and some really bad turnovers. Why you don't hold the ball for the last shot when your tied is beyond me. Then you try to penetrate and throw a no look pass right to a defender. Nice way to end a great season!

I'm not going to predict scores...our program is too process-driven for that.

But for what it's worth, two of our top three forwards were out for most of the game yesterday against Blackman; one with an injury sustained early in the third quarter and one with foul trouble. Given that Blackman basically played their normal lineup the entire game, I believe this to be a testament to the Bruins' depth and senior leadership.

Anyways, I will give you some raw data on Brentwood's four losses this season:

1) Lost@ likely AA champ CPA by five (and led at the half) in the second game of the season. Jalen Lindsey and Braxton Blackwell, two national blue-chip players, went off in the second half and they still didn't win it until the final 20 seconds.

2) Lost@Blackman handily on Blackman's best shooting night in years: they made 16 treys, which is like a mutated version of what we had done to teams at that point. The game before that, we lost our defensive ace and starting center Will Jones for the season to a broken foot. Also, during the third quarter, we lost our then-incumbent star forward Cody Shelton for an indefinite period of time due to a leg injury. They had their best offensive night of the year, and it was one of those nights where our shots just weren't falling and things got out of control.

3) Sitting at 25-2 and riding a 17-game winning streak into the district tourney (when we were already eligible for region before it started), Hillsboro took advantage of another uncommon occasion where our shots were just somehow rimming out all night, tying us at the buzzer to send the game into overtime. We had already swept them in the season. But in part because Hillsboro was hosting the region tourney, the crowd helped will them to a win in OT.

4) The previous night's district tourney opener started at 8:30 pm. In the consolation game at 5:30, it was the one game this season where our players looked noticeably tired, listless, and unmotivated. Since only a third or fourth region seed was at stake, a Ravenwood team we had also swept in the regular season (which almost beat Hillsboro in the region semis) took this an opportunity for avenge their pride against us while we just couldn't muster the will to execute properly or play with intensity.

-------------------------------------

Now I just named four pretty solid teams there, reflecting the downside of a 30-4 record against a Top 5 overall strength-of-schedule. Clearly our experience in winning close games paid off some in our re-match with Blackman, did it not? Blackman was not used to fighting out in some close games (save Siegel) and our poise and experience in close-game situations ultimately gave us the edge over Blackman as the clock ticked down.

Today and last night we have studied Southwind extensively and they are a great team, especially for the postseason once you start shortening the rotation. They have the utter physical and skilled capability to blow just about any team out if that team isn't being physical and going to war on the boards.

That said, my ultimate point is not to underestimate Brentwood. Ask around the state and you will not find many coaches eager to play us.

Like i said earlier, i hope you guys do win, i think it'd be awesome. I just think you haven't seen a team with the physical specimens that Southwind has...Oak ridge (My alma mater and team) that's one of our strong points (athleticism) and well, you saw how that ended up..Although, we just couldn't make shots when we needed to. That's just how the cookie crumbles sometimes. I hope you win, and all of those things you mentioned are impressive, but i just don't think you have seen any team with near the talent SW has, and that includes Blackman.