Father Ryan's Reign is it over?

govolz

I forgot about them beating Glencliff in 1999 in the first game of the season. Glencliff went to the Clinic Bowl that year.

Interesting thing: We ended the 99, 00, and 01 seasons with 4 straigt losses.

If we lose to BA tonight (I am sure we will) that makes us 1-18 in the last 19 games against Super 7 opponents.

Overall we are 16-21(if you include tonights loss) in the Super 7.

*I inlcuded playoff games in the above stuff.

[Edited by RyanRowdy on 11-1-02 8:27P]

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan has one big problem. You must have players to compete they have none. When the administration at Ryan starts put some effort into their athletics and get rid of that horrible headmaster they may compete. The

administration hired a head football coach that had no

experiance and was not even a coordinator what does

anyone expect. He is a good man but his knowledge is limited. I hope they return to glory because it looks like all the private schools are going to be voted out and Ryan talked about moving to division I. But that is on par for Ryan, don't try to improve just move down and you will get better.

Ryan can't compete with the other D-II private schools because they do not seek out and recruit players from all over middle Tennessee. Heck, they even get robbed by other privates within their parochial system.

Ryan has an excellent coaching STAFF.

Kurt left because he could not win with the hand he was being dealt.

As for Ryan's reign, historically, Ryan has been ultra competitive and overall very successful. Also, in years past, Ryan recruited on the same level with their private and public opponents. This is no longer true.

After the split occurred, Ryan took the wrong turn. They can PLAY with any team similar in talent. They can't or don't RECRUIT on the same level as their current opponents. Blaming the coaching staff at Ryan is like blaming Vandy's current staff for their woeful season.

Otis,

I know many kids and a few staff members at Ryan and have asked several of them what has happened. The two biggest obstacles to success (according to my sources) are:

First, there is a general lack of interest in the football program within the school which eliminates support from the student body, and a lack of motivation for current athletes in the school to play football. They still do quite well in other sports.

Second, the perceived apathy and consequential poor seasons have caused some good Catholic football prospects that used to be locks to attend Ryan to choose public or other private alternatives that have a high level of emphasis on football.

I would hate to see Ryan continue in the tradition they have right now, because they have been a great rival of ours for many years. John Paul II in Hendersonville will soon have a good program, so I for one hope FR can get it turned around in the near future.

Otis, would you please elaborate on the following: "They [Ryan] can't or don't RECRUIT on the same level as their current opponents."

Is that all opponents, or just a few? If so, would you name some schools and examples?

Also, why has Ryan changed their ways, so to speak? What area/facet of the school did the administrators hope to improve by no longer "recruiting"? Has it seen the desired improvement?

Just asking; not trying to offend or imply anything.

[Edited by rollredroll on 11-6-02 11:24A]

i am a parent of a former dad of a cousin's son who went to father ryan. and i know firsthand that father ryan's reign is no way over. he told me they are getting better every single practice and their lifts are very productive,they manhandled BA's 5th string in the varsity game this past week even though the game for them was way out of reach. i expect them to return to top form next year and be in the hunt for th Div. 2 AAA title and somewhere near the top of statewide polls. LOOK OUT!

Ryan's problems began when the current board assumed power. None of the exisitng board were athletes in high school. Eddie Krenson realized the direction the school was heading and packed his bags. When the new headmaster showed up he informed the student body of his extracurricular interest first of which was the band. Athletics came in somewhere around 7 or 8. Next he allowed the associate principal(a priest) to assume too much power, who was also not an athlete. He is also the individual who makes decisions on need based financial aid. Not many if any atheltes qualify regardless. (remember the divison they are in gives need based assistance) Next the individual in question expelled 5 Sophomores (who would now be seniors)for a relatively minor incidence for 2 1/2 semesters, insuring they would either not play football as juniors or not come back to Ryan. 4 of the 5 would have started both ways for the last two years and did not return to Ryan. 3 of the 5 never played on a football team that ever lost to a BA or MBA junior high or freshman teams. This was the nucleus of the team that won the freshman city championship. Last year concerned alumni, recognizing the state of the athletic program, asked several of the longtime supporters to meet and figure out what the problem was and how it could be resolved. One individual who had been instrumental in raisng money, building, and moving Ryan to the new campus expressed his concern over the lack of facilities and commitment and was immediately rebuffed by the headmaster. He advised the headmaster that he would not be back. He has since become very heavily involved in JP II. In the next 3-4 years JP II will become dominant. One final note the Bishop has pretty well focused most of his efforts on JP II which he considers his project. I beleive Ryan's reign is over for awhile if not forever. I feel for Jemison he has been dealt a hand he can't win. Good athletes always make good coaches.

Posted by wildcatfan:

Let me ask this question: Is Father Ryan's hold on the bottom spot going to continue? For their sake, I hope not.

What I was really shocked to see was that Ryan only had about 40 kids suited up for the BA game. Their coach said that they graduate 21 seniors. Things do not look good for the Irish fo some time, I'm afraid.

I did not say anything about Ryan's coaching staff being bad but if you think that they have the knowledge to compete with former college coaches ( MBA,Baylor )

you have not been around the game. They will get better as time goes on if coach Jemison can get rid of some dead weight.( regarding coaches ) as far as Kurt

Page knowing when to get out their he left because no

really wanted him to stay. Ryan believes that they are above recruiting so until they see the need they will continue to be at the bottom and you will see a dramatic fall in their other sports.

I did not say anything about Ryan's coaching staff being bad but if you think that they have the knowledge to compete with former college coaches ( MBA,Baylor )

you have not been around the game. They will get better as time goes on if coach Jemison can get rid of some dead weight.( regarding coaches ) as far as Kurt

Page knowing when to get out their he left because no

really wanted him to stay. Ryan believes that they are above recruiting so until they see the need they will continue to be at the bottom and you will see a dramatic fall in their other sports.