Best Coaches ?

thegame523

Kent Smith at Bradley Central does more with average talent every year than anyone I've seen. To win the boys Region again this year with talent so much less than Ooltewah & Cleveland is amazing. If you took the top 5 players for those 3 teams & chose 5 on 5 for a pick-up game, only one player from Bradley (Copeland) would be selected. I don't mean to down the other Bradley boys, but its not really even debatable if you saw those teams play this year.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know how you can make a list of the best coaches in the Knoxville area and leave off Ricky Norris and Mark Eldridge...Both are as good as it gets...

Where do these 2 coach at? I am not from Tenn. so sometimes don't put the names with schools. Seems I have heard of Eldridge before. Also now that Dexter Williams is back in coaching does his name belong on this list ? I know he had a lot of talent at LT, but I was always impressed watching his teams play usually against more talented teams, because I normally watched them in Fort Myers at the COP.

Yes. I do think most coaches would do pretty well with the OR talent. But could they get that talent to state? Thats another question. I have found that sometimes its harder to win when your loaded than when your talent is down. Im just saying that if any of the Guys Nix listed are considered GREAT, Green has to be in the talk.

That's my boy CC!!!! LOL Taking up for Green! haha I am a biased OR fan, but i have to agree with you here, CC. Green is the definition of passion. Green does have real good talent at OR, but so did the Lakers coaches this year and look how the Lakers fared? lol Having good talent doesn't always translate to having real good teams, although it doesn't hurt. The coach has to get them players to buy into his system and play as a cohesive unit and team as well.

• 2 months later...

Out West you can throw these names in the hat with anyone in the state...Coach Williams( stepped down from Liberty Tech), Coach Rudisill( Bolivar), and despite this years drama Coach Henning( Memphis Ridgeway). I'll put those three up against anybody...

With Coach Williams now at Milan, I hear he has some work to do just like the guy I mentioned (Coach Tim Riley). I always enjoyed watching LT play when Williams was there. I think he'll get Milan to where they need to be, just as I think Riley will eventually get Springfield there too. 

Out West you can throw these names in the hat with anyone in the state...Coach Williams( stepped down from Liberty Tech), Coach Rudisill( Bolivar), and despite this years drama Coach Henning( Memphis Ridgeway). I'll put those three up against anybody...

Coach Burkley (Middleton High) Girls and Boys_ West Tennessee

Who of these or other coaches are really good at any certain thing defensively? As in a great man to man coach, or matchup zone, or has outstanding pressing teams? As a coach, always trying to learn from others who are outstanding. I will tell you Tim Riley while in Ky. was one of the better 2-2-1 press guys I have seen. 

Who of these or other coaches are really good at any certain thing defensively? As in a great man to man coach, or matchup zone, or has outstanding pressing teams? As a coach, always trying to learn from others who are outstanding. I will tell you Tim Riley while in Ky. was one of the better 2-2-1 press guys I have seen. 

I think Coach Hutchens does a good job of teaching team defense.  These guys are not coaching anymore but Bobby Snyder (Daniel Boone), Joe McPherson (University School) and Donald Ensor (Unaka) where all very good at teaching team defense and getting the most out of the of the players they had and fitting their systems around those players.  All four men are (or were) great teachers of the game.

Edited by QSouth89