Do Metro Schools ever hire anyone from the outside?

Hater247

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Todd Lark. Former girls coach at Hillwood. Great guy. Hard to assess as a coach since the Hillwood girls program has been hideous for about 15 years now. To be honest, I don't know of anybody that wanted the Creek job. Their last two freshman classes were absolutely horrible. Their girls coach left also, but he was graduating every decent player they had. The athletic program over there has REALLY dropped off. Two years ago they had to drop spring sports because they ran out of athletic money in late March.

For years, Whites Creek had a very veteran coaching staff. However, in the last few years those guys (Richard Coure, Jim Nollner, Sam Smith, Dorris Armstrong etc.) have retired. Maybe the new crew can get it turned around.

Edited by bigchief

The problem is Metro. Metro needs to wakeup and understand.......if your sports are good, your school is good. It works hand in hand. Those schools have the kids walking the hallways to be competitive, they just choose to be mediocre.

I wish one principal in Metro would go outside the box and actually put a competitive staff together on the field or court. Metro pays more than any other county around along with Williamson. They could attract some top coaches.

Example: Finley at Cheatham County. How and why would that guy not get a coaching job in Metro?

People apply and want these jobs, however there is NO support. it's SSDD constantly and the landscape needs to change. Just don't understand how this incompetency has gone on for so long.

Wrong. We have a half dozen new teachers in our building alone this year that came from other outlying counties. This doesn't even include the first year people we have. Maybe PE jobs are scarce, but if you are a math or science teacher you can punch your own ticket.

Edited by bigchief

Metro doesnt hire from outside. if you even want a teaching job you have to be from teach for america.

This is correct. They have a contract with these folks, and everyone in the program has to have a permanent position placed before any outsider can be hired. A metro executive principal told this to one of my colleagues's faces (and he was a Math teacher). They ended up giving the position (which included 2 asst coaching positions) to a guy with Teach for America that couldn't coach anything.

Edited by 2minutedrill

That is a good question. Do the principals make the sole decission for hiring a coach? If so, is that fair for a principal to hire a coach for an upcoming school year with the possibility that principal may no longer be there? Didn't that happen at Antioch?

It depends on the school. Metro has one AD for all of the schools. He sits in on the interviews, but the principal makes the final selection.

Example: Antioch situation

Glencliff hired Keil (former Lebanon coach) because Wilson is the principal (former Lebanon principal) are "boys" to coach boys basketball.

Most people on the outside realize the unique dynamics of a metro job and leave if they take a metro job. It is the reason so many Metro principals hire metro. If you have been in Metro you understand what you are getting yourself into. I went to WC fro 86-90. Hiring from Outside does not guarantee success.

Yes Scott Blade won at Hillsboro, but he got the heck out of dodge.

Metro's talent comes and goes in cycles, there is NO or very little parental support. These kids don't give a crap if Coach K/Phil Jackson is coaching. The streets are where they are. When I went to WC people played to avoid the streets. Now People avoid sports like the plague. When Law was at WC his team went to the Final Four in Football, but yet they had to wait on their best player before they left for Greeneville. He was busy doing non football related recreation.

For those on the outside talking about hiring. It is much more than hiring. WC has gone through several football coaches since Coure stepped down, the one plus he stayed on as an asst.

There are bigger problems at WC than hiring on the outside. As bigchief said the last 2 freshman bball teams were awful/good kids though. But good kids don't win you games. They haven't had Freshman football in 2 yrs. Most outside guys county/private are used to great boosters and support from the community. Good luck w/that at WC.....

The most important part of Larks resume is he is in the bldg and KNOWS what to expect. That is why they hire metro........in my opinion.....

Most people on the outside realize the unique dynamics of a metro job and leave if they take a metro job. It is the reason so many Metro principals hire metro. If you have been in Metro you understand what you are getting yourself into. I went to WC fro 86-90. Hiring from Outside does not guarantee success.

Yes Scott Blade won at Hillsboro, but he got the heck out of dodge.

Metro's talent comes and goes in cycles, there is NO or very little parental support. These kids don't give a crap if Coach K/Phil Jackson is coaching. The streets are where they are. When I went to WC people played to avoid the streets. Now People avoid sports like the plague. When Law was at WC his team went to the Final Four in Football, but yet they had to wait on their best player before they left for Greeneville. He was busy doing non football related recreation.

For those on the outside talking about hiring. It is much more than hiring. WC has gone through several football coaches since Coure stepped down, the one plus he stayed on as an asst.

There are bigger problems at WC than hiring on the outside. As bigchief said the last 2 freshman bball teams were awful/good kids though. But good kids don't win you games. They haven't had Freshman football in 2 yrs. Most outside guys county/private are used to great boosters and support from the community. Good luck w/that at WC.....

The most important part of Larks resume is he is in the bldg and KNOWS what to expect. That is why they hire metro........in my opinion.....

I think the problem with Metro athletics is that it starts at the top. Register doesn't care, so the principals for the most part don't. Certain schools can be successful. Hillsboro, Maplewood, East Lit. I think McGavock could do well.

When Metro went to Comprehensive schools, it killed the neighborhood rivalries and small knit communities. Now the schools are a bunch of failing, disfunctional academic institutions that is more of a circus or zoo than school.

The student body is rough. Nobody can tell you about Metro unless you have taught and coached there. It's unlike any school district.

Example. McGavock. Huge Population. Why aren't they more competitive? They have a large pool. They have a competent coach in football and boys basketball. Amongst that student body, there are athletes everywhere.

Organized off seasons are difficult.

No parent involvement. Meaning....no getting junior to school for a work-out, throwing, shooting, etc.

Whites Creek, Hunters Lane, Maplewood all have their own challenges.