Coach Knepper Farewell to Tennessee

coachknepper

To those of you that I know outside of CoachT, you know that I have been in quite a rigorous job search over the past few months while finishing up my 6th year coaching the Middle Tennessee State University wrestling squad. That journey has finally come to an end and I will be returning to my home state of Ohio as I have agreed to take a Senior Engineering position with a company just outside of Columbus. Those of you in the know would recognize Worthington Kilborne and Hilliard Davidson as two of the better known wrestling programs in high school there.

I tried very hard to remain in the state of Tennessee as I have enjoyed my stay here over the past 8+ years. Unfortunately the job market for my specific engineering talents did not afford itself to me and I had to look outside of the state ultimately landing closer to my family in Toledo, OH.

It has been a blast seeing Tennessee Wrestling grow over the past 6 years and I am excited at the outlook for not only the private school teams like CBHS, Father Ryan, Baylor, and McCallie doing well nationally but teams like Soddy-Daisy, Cleveland, Wilson Central, Beech, Blackman, Pigeon Forge, and Clarksville doing quite well too. I see good things out of teams like Knoxville Halls, Bearden, Bradley Central, Siegel, Ravenwood, Germantown, and many others for years to come as well.

The collegiate teams continue to do well and are continuously improving under solid leadership. It was great to be able to compete against Allen & Nicola's group over at Cumberland and I hope that Coach Steven Smith et al will continue to build that Middle Tennessee bond/rivalry. King and Chattanooga look great and will undoubtedly continue to do so at the NCAA level.

In 2007, I approached a very young MTSU club team about potentially helping them become something more and that has led to over 100 men and women having the opportunity to wrestle in college that didn't have that opportunity before and has placed MTSU at a Varsity level in terms of scheduling/competition (not yet in budget). This next year the MTSU Wrestling Foundation will support 5 full scholarships for MT wrestlers as well as several other partial scholarships, which 5-6 years ago was unheard of. This program will continue to grow and hopefully make all Tennesseans proud of what I and many others (Cory Watson, Matt Coffman, Ken Hammonds, Troy Steffy to name a few) have helped to build.

To those of you that devote your lives to coaching, supporting, or building wrestling: I salute you and will always hold you in high regard. I would like to thank a few other people for their support over the past few years along this journey as well:

Jim Giunta (NCWA Executive Director)

Jonathan Harmon

Jeff Roberts

John Feuerbacher

Kim Feuerbacher

Danny Jones

Brad Wells

John Heath

John Salter

Gordon Connell

Steve Henry

Don Elia

Wendy Windsor

Mark Gonyea

Ronnie Bray

Lee Ramsey

Steven Smith

Lucas Borneman

Mike Westcott

Rod Key

Steve Solomon

Frank Simpson

Pat Simpson

Angelo Giansante

GP West

William West

Paul Vaughn

Jeff Lester

Mitchell Brunner

Mike Kuziola

William Branton (B.B.)

Garrett House

Mark Reeves

BJ Malone

John Brockwell (Ideas Tees)

Chris Vandergriff (THE ANIMAL)

Darrell Lauderdale

Franky James

Jerome Dooley

Thadd Little

Doug Badon

John Kramer

Bill Kennedy

PA Bowler

Kyle Davis

Barry Clark

Jeff Clark

Mike Moyer (NWCA Director)

John Licata (NWCA)

Jennifer Boykin

Gabe Gamadamis

Charlie Warfield

Mike Hatcher

Stephen Petricca

Derek Harrison

Bill Seaman

Josh Bosken

Guy Harris

Jonathan Simpson

Matt Sells

Barry Apland

Scotty Garrison

Charlton Thayn

Maurice Patton

Kimberly Little

Al Miller

Ben Jones

Chris Adams

Shannon Sayne

David Isbell

Randall Woodard

Anthony Shingler

Randall Jennings

----

I'm sure I'm missing a few...but it's almost 2 am and I need some sleep.

Edited by coachknepper
  • Upvote 1

Coach,

Been a pleasure getting to know you over the years. Hate to see you leave the state after all the hard work you have put in while in TN. But we all have to do what is best for us and our families when the opportunites come our way.

Hope you still have a chance to be part of the sport you like back home. Maybe we will cross paths on the National Level events in the future.

Best of Luck

Let's not forget a few more names like 2x-2 school Jordan, Most accolades Legman Logsdon, Grizley Bear Ben S., Come back kid Peck, Papabear Lewis, Bro Builder Baucke, Tn wrestling HofF - still living :) Killian, J Morgan-The Legend & also still alive since grappling back in the 50's, Clint "since the 40's" Abbott, G Hall (for smaller programs) Wrestling Encyclopedia Gilbert('s), Powers that be Parker's, still active Mara's, Never to retire Elsea, Historic Blur Raider Varnell's, not to forget Goss's, Never aging Craft's, AA -T Jackson, Blair, Henry, 1st 4xer- K. Hill, Class Act Tommy...Badon, Bulldog Cav Cook, Always building the purple Pedan, nununo of Antioch :) to name a few more.

Oh, can't leave out Ol Sly Morris! Once known for building and rebuilding The Bear Nation via early advanced training of elementary middle schoolers in the area... Much talent including his own boys.

Then there's ol Joe Blue/Red Raider/UTC Waddell and big UTC/Hixson Alum Murphy!

Let's not forget a few more names like 2x-2 school Jordan, Most accolades Legman Logsdon, Grizley Bear Ben S., Come back kid Peck, Papabear Lewis, Bro Builder Baucke, Tn wrestling HofF - still living :) Killian, J Morgan-The Legend & also still alive since grappling back in the 50's, Clint "since the 40's" Abbott, G Hall (for smaller programs) Wrestling Encyclopedia Gilbert('s), Powers that be Parker's, still active Mara's, Never to retire Elsea, Historic Blur Raider Varnell's, not to forget Goss's, Never aging Craft's, AA -T Jackson, Blair, Henry, 1st 4xer- K. Hill, Class Act Tommy...Badon, Bulldog Cav Cook, Always building the purple Pedan, nununo of Antioch :) to name a few more.

I think this is Coach Knepper saying thanks to a few folks who helped HIM with his program. Not your laundry list of all the fine coaches in the history of TN wrestling. Best wishes to Mr Knepper , you made a big difference at MTSU.

• Upvote 1

I think this is Coach Knepper saying thanks to a few folks who helped HIM with his program. Not your laundry list of all the fine coaches in the history of TN wrestling. Best wishes to Mr Knepper , you made a big difference at MTSU.

LOL.....never seen a person so anxious to drop names as ole soms is.

There you are Maj & Tex. Wonder who placed that negative vote?

REALLY? ..Still some good observations I suppose guys, But, I really could care less about your name dropping concerns, Just proud of many that have contributed so much to our great sport over the years & to get us where we are now,,, multiple AA's in the same year and more TN college wrestlers since Connell was at MTSU in the 70's... and before title 9

Huge contributions - as many I value of all ages and varied influences are already mentioned from all over... I especially appreciated Coach Knepper mentioning Angelo Giansante and the legendary GP West as well, as they have done much, especially coach West... Just wasn't sure what contributions these two have made since 2005?!?!?

Edited by Sommers

Angelo and GP have made contributions to the MTSU Wrestling team since I have been here in Tennessee.

Not surprised, especially with your networking skills & thorough follow up in everything that goes into building and maintaining a program such as yours. I went back through your large list and saw Steve Henry was actually listed- again no surprise. The others I threw on here maybe didn't help directly, but it wouldn't surprise me if their overall contributions to what you have today and now Smith, Cory Coffman and Hamm is felt in some measure with the options to wrestle closer to home & still have scholarship support.

My hats off!

Coach Knepper,

You will be sorely missed here in Middle TN. You have made such a positive impact on wrestling here in the state in such a short time.

Thank you so much for giving so freely of yourself. I know how much you have dumped into your efforts...

All the best in your future endeavors...

Coach Gonyea

• Upvote 1