Tennessee USAW Freestyle and Greco-Roman State Tournament info

coachhatcher

Track Wrestling shows that 210 are registered to wrestle freestyle and the most in recent history according to ghouse was 162. In the future I could see the number rising to 300 freestyle participants with just a little more word of mouth promotions and all wrestling related activities being shut down for the state tournament weekend.

The officiating at this tournament was bush-league. Letting guys brother's ref their matches, ridiculous pins called, referees not even watching the match on their mat... unbelievable. What a joke. The only actual referee, with experience, was excellent.

-Paul Campbell

It's an off season freestyle tournament in the state of Tennessee. I knew what to expect out of the officials. It met my expectations. I suffered the consequences on various calls from the officials as well. I told the kids, "get over it, that's life". Their opponents had the same officials (though I admit a brother refereeing his own brother is a bit much). So the way I view things, big deal. Overall, it was a decent tournament and the kids got great experience. Worse than the officiating were the kids that complained about it and some even blatantly curssing out the officals with zero consequence. Not even from their own parents. This is what is inexcusable. Nice life lessons taught.

Do you have any suggestions as to where the officials could have been gotten from?

Hopefully it will only continue to get better, especially with the zero restrictions off season coaching rule changes coming in 2015.

Edited by Newestguy

Everything was taken care of afterward to the best of my knowledge.Totally uncalled for reaction by the wrestler, period. I just thought at a state meet, it would be a little different. When you have a team full of first year guys, it's hard to keep them coming back to practice when this happens over and over. I just want our sport to grow and sometimes parents have a hard time spending money to go to a tournament where the official isn't even watching his own match.

Edited by PaCampbell3

I appreciate every official who is out there. I know it's a long day for them out there, I just wanted to clarify that I was just upset with the lack of attention on the match in this one particular tournament. There will always be calls we don't agree with, I just felt like there were a significant amount more than usual in this one tournament.

Edited by PaCampbell3

Boy oh boy.... its that moment when you grin and walk away! I like to have conversations with people I know, or at least know their real name. Put a name with the Face, We will talk about "life lessons" another day. As for improvements--- Already working on that.

Coach Ben Jones

coachjonestrained@gmail.com

865 368 4459

Someone that is critical of the officiating at the Tennessee State Freestyle & Greco Roman tournament is a good thing! It simply means that someone cares and they are willing to help with the officiating next year. While the number of participants on trackwrestling was 210 for freestyle, I was told the actual number was around 230 due to a few late registrations. The numbers being up are another great example of this tournament catching on in the state. With the number of USA Wrestling clubs in Tennessee increasing combined with participation numbers rising I could see the numbers for the 2014 reaching 300+ wrestlers with just a small amount of support from the wrestling community.

• Upvote 1