Matt McDaniel of Oak Ridge...No D1 interest?

ORbaseball

I've been following HS baseball in the Knoxville area for 10yrs now, and I've never seen an offensive show like Matt McDaniel of Oak Ridge has put on this year, especially when you consider the bats (BBCOR requirement) have changed significantly in the last two years. Last night vs Bearden using a wood bat, he went 4-4 with 2 HR, one opposite field. This BIG young man (bats left, throws right) is hitting .506 with 10HR (ties ORHS record), OBP of .573, SLG of 1.035, and a OPS of 1.608 (stats up to date as of last night on Gamechanger.com). Probably the most impressive stat is he only has 2 (yes, two) sttrikeouts in 85 AB to go with these stats! He's also been solid in the field (catcher and 1B), and has led OR to its best finish in the district (2nd) in years. I can't believe of all the "D1" kids I've seen (including those on opposing teams like Bearden last night) that the a D1 team hasn't taken notice. I know it's not grades, becasue he scored well on his ACT (he's a freind of my son, so I know), and has taken honors classes at ORHS. I know that Junior year and "travel ball" are recruiting times for most colleges, but word has to be getting out about this young man with the numbers he's been putting up. If there are any college coaches out there that look at these posts, don't take my word for it, talk to some of the opposing coaches this kid has faced this season. He has found an approach at the plate this year that has changed his game completely, and someone (right now, a few D2 teams are very interested in him) will get a gem of a player, and good all around kid.

Hey Soxfan. As your picture shows, you are clueless. Matt does not have bad hands and is not slow. Record setting year in a district that is not bad at all. The district actually has good, quality pitching and he is hitting over .500. Outside the district, OR has for the most part played good competition. Rather than take your word, perhaps D1 coaches should talk to the coaches at HVA, Powell, Halls, AC, Karns, and Bearden. I think they would have a better feel for what a good baseball player Matt is.

I agree. He is a division I player. I have been around the high school game a long time. He is as good a hitter as I have seen in a very long time. Hes also big, athletic, and strong. He is not slow on the bases either----he tripled at Bearden and thats a small park. Someone will get a good one if they will give him a chance. He would dominate a jr college game right now and possibly D2.

if the d1 kid from bearden being referred to is lane thomas id say you are way off base. that kid is a very good, very projectable high school player. plus arm, plus bat, and pitches well (doubt he pitches past high school). defensively he is above average for high school but still has work to do and he could get faster. with that being said he could still be a draft pick next year, possibly high. Soxfans opinion, although clearly not popular with the OR supporters, is not far from reality. mcdaniel is a good solid player. d1 colleges do not just recruit a kid that can hit .500 in high school. they have to play a position well enough to compete at the D1 level. I dont believe soxfan was knocking the kid, just pointing out things that might be preventing bigger and better offers from coming his way. The district does have a few decent pitchers but they are concentrated on 2 teams, OR and HVA. Hitting .500 against the rest of that district is great and all, but you have to look at the quality of the pitching when talking about kid projectability at the D1 level. I dont think D1 coaches are looking on coacht for recruiting tips either.

Have him tryout at Chattanooga State on May 23. They are a nationally recognized Juco program that feeds many d1 schools. They generally only offer d1 quality players so if you get an offer there...you have that in your pocket and also know that you have d1 potential.

Chatt is way better than the majority of d2 schools. I am a former scout and many of my collegues attend their practices and games. In fact Chatt only lost to Chatt Lookouts 6-5 earlier this year. Great place to grow your skills instead of sitting at a d1.

I personally have not heard of the kid among my coaching circles but that does not mean he has not become a d1 prospect this year.

Again have him tryout at Chatt and get an honest evaluation. They will be looking for a 1b.

Edited by basketballgirl17

if the d1 kid from bearden being referred to is lane thomas id say you are way off base. that kid is a very good, very projectable high school player. plus arm, plus bat, and pitches well (doubt he pitches past high school). defensively he is above average for high school but still has work to do and he could get faster. with that being said he could still be a draft pick next year, possibly high. Soxfans opinion, although clearly not popular with the OR supporters, is not far from reality. mcdaniel is a good solid player. d1 colleges do not just recruit a kid that can hit .500 in high school. they have to play a position well enough to compete at the D1 level. I dont believe soxfan was knocking the kid, just pointing out things that might be preventing bigger and better offers from coming his way. The district does have a few decent pitchers but they are concentrated on 2 teams, OR and HVA. Hitting .500 against the rest of that district is great and all, but you have to look at the quality of the pitching when talking about kid projectability at the D1 level. I dont think D1 coaches are looking on coacht for recruiting tips either.

By no means did I mean to imply that Matt was better than Lane Thomas. I fully agree that Thomas is a great baseball player, and he has been for some time. But there are "late bloomers" at the HS level that go unnoticed their Senior years, and since college coaches rarely recruit during a HS season, I was just trying to get the word out. I appreciate the feedback from basketballgirl17; juco is a great opportunity for late bloomer; just ask Tim Hudson of the Braves. I know Matt and his family, and I'm sure they will look at all their opportunities and make a good decision for Matt's future with regards to both baseball and his education.

Usually by this stage of a players career they have been evaluated by a number of coaches at showcases or in games against high level competition. In this area if you play Farragut there will be college and pro scouts at the game. The pitching the scouts see you face makes a huge difference too. How has Matt done against the #1's for HVA or Farragut? That would tell you a lot. How did he hit against either Owenby from Powell? College coaches are concerned about how you hit against velocity. I think Matt would be well served to go JuCo and continue to develop but don't be fooled by the letter (D1, D2, NAIA) in this state top level national teams exist at all of those levels. He may be a better fit at TN Wesleyan, Lee, Tusculum, carson Newman, Walters or Chatt State. If the numbers against top pitching are there he may project better than my original thoughts. He is a great kid. I have enjoyed watching him for the past 6 years of higher level ball.

• 2 months later...

Great to see Serrano and Tennessee take a chance on McDaniels of Oak Ridge; got the news on Monday that Serrano agreed to let him walk-on. A well deserved opportunity for some of the best offensive stats in the state.

Wow, I saw this on vacation. Congratulations to Matt. I am shocked but happy for him.