Watuaga Valley Conference

Guest BballFreak

at ease, tdog, some folks are gonna get worked up and say things (at least if i have anything to do with it,- i love to keep things stirred) just because it is human nature to seek potent rebuttle. they may or may not even know what they are talking about (probably not). so don't let them get you all worked up just yet. save some energy cause i have a feeling that it's about to get downright hot in kitchen...........

and as for people booing us.....i could care less. like i've said before, i can stand to pull for area teams in playoffs and things when it doesn't affect the rangers....but that's it.....i know people from all over,- hampton, happy valley, cloudland, etc.,- and many are good friends. however, we have an understanding when it comes to ball,- we hate each other and that is okay because it is SUPPOSED to be that way. you may respect another team (or maybe not) and that is one thing that is okay,- but some sort of local camaraderie? how nauseating! there are good folks in cloudland and there are good folks in hampton but i will say openly that i do NOT pull for them in anyway (with the aforementioned exception of playoff situations where unaka is not at stake) and i don't feel that anyone should find that offensive in the least. conversely, i don't expect any of them to pull for unaka, nor do i even want them to.....people who like you are accustomed to whipping your tail!- surely you folks know this.......i can see that tdog does because he mentioned taking it as a compliment. another team's favor cannot help you win games and probably means you have not BEEN winning games. however, another team's hatred, although it shouldn't affect a team either way, can be a spark that starts a fire (maybe, maybe not), but more importantly it almost always means that you HAVE BEEN winning games, especially against that particular team. i wish the rangers were the most hated team in america! hey, it's roundball time and you just gotta love it...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the intense animosity, dislike and hatred that is shown toward the Rangers. It pleases me to know that the locals love to take out their hostilities at the maroon brigade. The battle is on and the war will be intense. Our young allied forces are ready to do battle this season. They won't disappoint over the course of the season. Oh the ship might take water for the first half but in the end, I predict smooth sailing for the Big Maroon Vessel.

due to my inability to watch my mouth i will probably not be here long so lets see how long i will last first of all i am a ranger fan and that is it i will not stradle the fence for other schools as far as i am concerned the rest of you can go o and the rest of your life and i am happy i know we will probably stink with the schedule and players we have but i will still be there as far as the rest of you posters go pick a da-- side and stay there or dont come out of the closet (blaize) enough about me lets

Go back into your cave you one time poster. You must not be a true fan to insult our young talented team with a post such as that. With the players that we have. Let me tell you in due time they will be just as good if not better than last year. Do us a favor and sit on the other side of the gym if that is the way that you feel. A good mark for luvsbball for defending our pride on the creek!

Guest cutnoslack

r u guys basketball buffs or phds you guys are too deep for me tdog should write a sppeech for bush if we go to battle maroon army as for you hablo your post are remarkable you guys have to be uh grads

Just trying to figure out as to when I stated I hated the Bulldogs. I actually am one of the few that pull for them to do well. As I stated, I have great admiration and respect for some of the Bulldogs coaches and fan especially oleeagle and deputy dog. As for the upward and downward swing, I don't buy into that at all. I think that kids don't work as hard as in previous years in all sports. I remember that the high school gyms used to be packed on the weekends years ago. With cars, jobs and all kinds of video games the work ethics are lacking for most. As for being love by millions I doubt if you could find 50 people that like us on the creek when it comes to sports. As for me, I am like ole Reggie Jackson. I am the straw that stirs the drink. The drink my friend is controversy, and I just love it. It helps bring this message board to life.

I am not worthy of your comments tdog. I too have a great respect for what the players and coaches of Unaka do year in and year out. I enjoy watching any team play that plays hard and plays team basketball. To me that is the way that the game is supposed to be played. There shouldn't be that big of an animosity between county schools even if you want to beat them in whatever sport. You can pull against that team when you are playing them but after the game friends should remain friends, no matter the outcome.

I totally agree. I do pull for the blue & white although sometimes it depends on what the outcome will determine. I know one Ranger fan that was very pleased with the outcome of the District AA championship last year. We all have ties to most schools in some way or another. Although they are one of our biggest rivals who can help but respect Ned Smith and the great job he does at Cloudland. Going up against football has to be tough but Ned has taken that program to another level. And who could not be proud of Bud Hazelwood to come so far as a player who worked his tail off for very little playing tim. Now he finally get rewarded with the opportunity to coach the Dogs after many faithful years at his alma mater. The same can be said for Donald Ensor who prides the Rangers in being the best year in and year out. I love high school sports so good that I am currently checking into writing a book about nothing but Carter County High School Sports dating back as far as the early 50's if the publishing price is right.

First off as said before, theres no way to post a poll on here this earlier. All a team needs is a little hard work and a few kids to step up and their team could easily go to number 1. Another thing, blaize i am going to go against u and say that Cloudland and Unaka both will not win out the Conference. Last year i felt that UH had a shot to put Unaka away, but stupid mistakes hurt them. So this year i am going to say that UH takes Unaka at home! If the Bradley kid improves at all then he will be something else to watch. I dont know for sure if Robbie Tolley is going to stick with the Landers, but if he does then there is NO WAY that UH can take the Landers. I mean Bradleys a great ball player but lets face it with Tolleys size and skill he would easily shut Bradley down. Just because Unaka is young doesnt mean that they cant win. I watched their JV team play a few times last year, and i feel that Unaka will have no problem winning games. Unakas coaching always finds a way to get the big wins.

Yes Unaka has done alot in the past few years, but i believe that if Ned Smith would have had the Cloudland boyz longer then Unaka would have had to work just a little bit harder for the Conference wins. He is a great coach and he prepares his team very well. He knows that he lost alot but i think he can make it work with what he has. As long as his Wings (Johnson and COle) dont force to many turnovers and pick their shots a little better. Then the Landers will be fine.

It will be another great season of Carter Co. basketball.

i have been to murfreesboro and i (as i know most if not all of you have) have seen the caliber of basketball that is played in different parts of the state. in many cases it may be superior, although i am very hesitant to believe this...but i'll tell you what it truly is: it is just plain different! i know that we have rivalries all across the state, i would be an idiot to say otherwise. however, when you get up here in our little corner of the state where it is relatively isolated the rivalry tends to get so personal and heated beyond imagination...it's almost like a fight between brothers, or even families....hatfields and mccoys, even. and it not just the teams that have these rivalries, or the rivalries themselves that i am speaking of,- it's just the atmosphere that surrounds high school basketball in this area... there seems to be a familiarity with area programs that transcends communities, county lines, and class divisions (A, AA, AAA). i have been several other places and i don't seem to sense this feeling there, although i could just be because i am not from there. perhaps this is the way that it is everywhere,- in which case everyone across the state is fortunate,- but i just don't think so. i think one factor for this is that most coaches in this area are from this area,- they played here and experienced the same rivalry, etc. that they now help to propagate. this tradition enhances the overall environment of the local game. we are such a closed, close-knit community here that i have a hard time imagining it being just this way in other places. i am sure that they have aspects that we can't relate to here, the sheer magnitude of crowds and facilities, etc. and i'm sure that if someone from down in the state reads this they'll take it the wrong way and let me have it. but it just wouldn't be like me to care,- i've already stepped out of character enough for one day.

i just wanted to share some non-controversial thoughts, for what they are worth. they may not have made much sense, i hope that is not the case. if anyone cares to respond to this i would love to know what you think about all this. and to anyone from other parts of the state: no offense,- i may even be wrong. just wanted to express my feelings as a native of east tn.

if this is a wasted post then at least our humble little thread stays near the top for another day (coacht gets a little slow on the weekends, you know.)

Well its been awhile, and I have had my coffee, so its time to stir up a batch for the rest of my fellow coach t'ers. First of all to Hardrocket- who stated that UH would whip Cloudland all around the gym- well news flash for you buddy, when Cloudland was winning 5 games a year (not too long ago) you could chalk up 2 of the wins being against the mighty Jr. Bucs. And boy that was just a great feeling, hearing and watching Jabari pull and tug on his pants and make faces then walk out of Brooks with a W in the Landers pocket year after year. Bradley seems like he has potential (in heigth) but unless he has gained weight or hit the weights my little sister could push him around, just imagine what the rest of the Watauga Valley Conference can do to him. And in the past, I will be the first to admit that UH has had some amazing athletes, but they could have draft picks ( and best that I hear there are always a hand full of high 'picks' coming off the Hill ever year), and as long they are by the man who put the Brad Daugherty look in style- they will be underacheivers.

As for Unaka, alot of the talent (and some of that bad attitute that made me an anti-Ranger) graduated. But,they are coached by some of the best in the county, and they will be right back up near the top of the conference, and have a chance to make some impact. It will count on majorly on how much the players mature and if they can redefine there roles instead of being role players to Dugger. But, I would never underestimate a Donald Ensor coached team- he could would win 20 games with Clinch's girls team (thats a joke, come on smile old timers)

As for Cloudland, well I figure they are in the same situation as Unaka is. They will have to decide who is going to be the men and who is going to be the boys, and hopefully they will have a couple of kids to step up and help Byrd. They definitely have potential, it is just according how much Smith can get out of the Jr. class to how many games the Landers will win this season. Truthfully I am not real sure how it will go until I watch them play a game or 2.

The WVC is up for grabs thats for sure, nobody is really stacked with talent (ex. Unaka since I laced up a pair of sneakers) Cloudland or Unaka will be the champs- and one or the other will run the table, UH will be a close third (they will be rolling till they self-destruct in the middle of the season like they always do) North Greene will upset somebody, but not be that good, and I have no idea what talented 7th graders Clinch has in the program this year so I cannot predict anything about them.

It just feels to me like the WVC is down from what it has been in the past couple of years. But as I look down to District 2, they are not quiete as powerful either, so you could possibly see 2 WVC teams in the substate- and one in the state tourney.

Basketball season is here, its time to take the gloves off, spit on the ground, and get dirty. I can hear them from the Creek now- "Rolltide put the Folgers down, and get some decaf"- :D