State Tournament Schedule

festor

This is the first time I have ever paid attention to the scheduling of the tournament. I was shocked to see they have so many games in such a short time. Its more of what you would expect in college softball than high school baseball. The tournament appear to be a pitching killer.

Looking at the bracket, even if you don't lose to the championship game, you have to be 4 deep at pitching and if you lose 7 deep. I know the argument to this would be that the tournament rewards the deep pitching staff. But how many high school teams go 4 deep in plus pitching. The season is set up for teams to be 2 to 3 deep, then we get to the championship deciding tournament and teams have to be 5-6 and sometimes 7 deep. Its a tournament where the ace only pitches 1 game. Its set up in a way that tempts coaches to abuse arms. And in the end, do we really want the championship game to come down to 4's, 5's, and 6's or 1', 2's, and 3's.

A little history. Spring Fling used to have 4 teams make it to the state tournament.

http://www.tssaa.org/9899Champions/StateBaseball/AAA/bracket.htm

High School baseball coached pleaded with the TSSAA to expand the field to 8 teams.

In 2003, the field was expanded:

http://www.tssaa.org/2002Champions/StateBaseball/ClassAAA/State.htm

By the way, that first year in Memphis with 8 teams, the spots in the field were predetermined by sectional winners. We needed to lose on Wednesday and play in a different sectional on Friday because we ended up in what may still be the toughest bracket in Spring Fling history...

I have been asking TSSAA for years to change it from Tuesday-Friday to Tuesday-Saturday for three reasons. #1 - walk up crowds on Saturdays compared to Fridays. #2 - some parents may not be able to get off work during the week but may be able to make it to watch their son in championship game and his final game if he is a senior and #3 - give the Game 1 pitcher another day's rest. Over the years a lot of pitchers have gone on Tuesday and Friday. You can review the box scores on http://www.tssaa.org over the years to find examples of this.

Coaches/Fans can not have it both ways. Do you want TSSAA to go back to only four teams making it to Spring Fling?

A little history. Spring Fling used to have 4 teams make it to the state tournament.

http://www.tssaa.org...AAA/bracket.htm

High School baseball coached pleaded with the TSSAA to expand the field to 8 teams.

In 2003, the field was expanded:

http://www.tssaa.org...ssAAA/State.htm

By the way, that first year in Memphis with 8 teams, the spots in the field were predetermined by sectional winners. We needed to lose on Wednesday and play in a different sectional on Friday because we ended up in what may still be the toughest bracket in Spring Fling history...

I have been asking TSSAA for years to change it from Tuesday-Friday to Tuesday-Saturday for three reasons. #1 - walk up crowds on Saturdays compared to Fridays. #2 - some parents may not be able to get off work during the week but may be able to make it to watch their son in championship game and his final game if he is a senior and #3 - give the Game 1 pitcher another day's rest. Over the years a lot of pitchers have gone on Tuesday and Friday. You can review the box scores on http://www.tssaa.org over the years to find examples of this.

Coaches/Fans can not have it both ways. Do you want TSSAA to go back to only four teams making it to Spring Fling?

I know this might not be popular, but the TSSAA could change the entire format. Instead of having the spring fling during the week expand it over two weekends. The first weekend would have two four team double elimination brackets with the winners meeting up on the second weekend in a two out of three series. It would bring bigger crowds which would bring in more money.

I do not really see what is preventing what SHOULD happen. Everyone, and I mean everyone, says that the TSSAA is all about the money. So why not go to an extra day. Extra parking, extra gate, extra concessions, all add up to extra $$$$. The current system is not horrible, but needs some adjustments. Final game (top vs. bottom) needs to be a series (win 2 of 3). I think so does sub-state and regional get in game (seed game can stay at one game) this adds a minimum of 3 games and a maximum of 6 to each teams play. Only 2 teams make it that far, other teams it adds less. It could require 0 added days minimum and 3 maximum, if those 3 game series were formatted as DH on regular day and if game next day. Yes it would require teams to have more pitching depth, but it would actually balance the field for everyone. There is a reason that the NCAA (which is where the best players in the state, on the best teams in the state, which is what should be in the state tournament, are trying to get to) plays series in each round of their playoffs. Sub state and regional sites have parents doing all of the work, no cost to TSSAA there. MTSU might cost more for that extra day, but it should be offset by the extra revenues. Just seems a little messed up to say district is double elimination, but regionals are single and sub state is single, but the state tournament is double, unless your in the finals, then it's single. With the sub state games, it is basically a 16 team state tournament ( if they were series, it's basically a 16 team double elimination tournament). Are some districts more balanced that others, of course, but every team in the state could and should be afforded 2 postseason loses before they are done. Under the current system as many as 16 teams could go home after only 1 postseason loss, yet a team could lose 4 times in the post season and still win the state title. As stated above, we have made changes over the years. I don't understand the concept of not having it both ways, why would we have to go back to 4 teams. MLB used to just have 2 teams in the playoffs, now they have 2 wild card teams from each league. If we think forward instead of backwards, we can make it better. I personally would love to see the tournament run Monday thru Friday with Saturday for the IF game and Sunday for rain day ( would also have room through the week for weather issues). I think you might just see the best 2 teams with all of their weapons in the championship series, would that be great or what.

There are three pressing issues with any state tournament format, 1) parents, 2) traveling expenses, 3) parents.

Thunderbolts, if you are from Unaka, Kingsport, or Memphis, hard to come back two weekends in a row....

EdConner, you are referring to changing the post-season format.

In January at the TBCA clinic, coaches voted to change the format for region and sectional playoffs. The State Tournament was not addressed at that time.

The vote was for a plan I have been trying to get implemented for over 12 years now. A four-team region tournament and a 2 out of 3 sectional.

I have been lobbying for years to get the state tournament changed from Tuesday to Friday to Tuesday to Saturday.

There are three pressing issues with any state tournament format, 1) parents, 2) traveling expenses, 3) parents.

Thunderbolts, if you are from Unaka, Kingsport, or Memphis, hard to come back two weekends in a row....

EdConner, you are referring to changing the post-season format.

In January at the TBCA clinic, coaches voted to change the format for region and sectional playoffs. The State Tournament was not addressed at that time.

The vote was for a plan I have been trying to get implemented for over 12 years now. A four-team region tournament and a 2 out of 3 sectional.

I have been lobbying for years to get the state tournament changed from Tuesday to Friday to Tuesday to Saturday.

Sounds like we are on the same page, assuming the 4 team regional tournament will be double elimination. The 2 of 3 championship series will soon follow.