Congrats to coach Brian Mintz as the new CUBS head football coach

coachcraig

I know that coaching supplements that went away many moons ago are on the table to come back and be competitive with surrounding districts. That's system wide I believe up to 20% of the base salary. That's a start. To attract good coaches, you have to compensate them accordingly. Williamson and Rutherford and AAA programs are always going to harvest successful coaches from smaller systems with the incentive of more pay, better facilities and a higher level of competition. I'm ok with that because it means the program has been successful. What we don't want is an entry level coaching position. This guy sounds like a good hire from my seat. Give him a chance.

I agree! I also think that the coaching stipends returning are long overdue. At the moment I believe none of the three county schools have more than 2 football coaches in the building. This has to change and it has to happen in a hurry. The Dead Period is just a week away and after that ends the practices/workouts crank up for real.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other thing that's been stated is that all coaches must be school system employees, including assistants. No volunteers, no out of county teachers. To me that means the incentives for adding coaching responsibilities to your teaching ones need to be improved. It's basically been out of love for the game to coach for less than minimum wage for a lot of these guys, particularly assistant coaches.

It's basically been out of love for the game to coach for less than minimum wage for a lot of these guys, particularly assistant coaches.

I can speak for many when I say yes. Guys who played in this county and want to see the kids do well. I won't beat my own chest but I will point out many of them.

Adam Huffines, Cory Adams, Michael Jackson, Wes Proctor, Chris Langley, Bubba Chandler, Dalton Lane, Ben Brinkley, Josh Stuart, Bradley Lockert, Dustin Watts, Andy Primm, etc.

Those are the guys who have done it for the love of the game and the love of these kids and the schools. These guys have poured in countless, thankless hours and never received the full value of their worth.

Take Cheatham County for example:

Last year during the 2nd Round of the TSSAA State Playoffs they played Fairview. On that night 2 of the "volunteer assistants" who received no pay were unable to even attend the game. They had their jobs in another region of the country and could not fly down for the game. That night they were really an undermanned staff. They had Finley, Jackson, and Boyd. The other help they got was from volunteers. It's mind blowing when you think of a team winning playoff games with such limited help.

The next week the Cubs played CPA in the Quarterfinals and it looked like they had 10 coaches during ore game warmups. How can you expect kids to be as good as other kids when they don't get the same chance of being taught fundamentals?

I don't know and could care less about motives. Cheatham County Cubs Football is much bigger than a person. It's bigger than any agenda. It's what many people look forward to all year and after last year's success that popularity is just going to grow. It's going to go on regardless of who is the Director of Schools, regardless of who the Principal at CCCHS is, regardless of who the coach is, and regardless of who the Board Members are. It went on before the decision makers of today were even born and will go on after they are dead.

I will continue to cheer on the Cubs from a distance and will continue to hope nothing but the best for the kids. The new coach has obviously won where he has been. He has a talented core returning at Cheatham County. If the kids can adapt over next week and throughout those 3 weeks following the Dead Period then they'll be in good shape when camp starts the week of August 1st.

Good Luck Cubs!

nice post

Dont know the man from adam, and wish him good luck. BUT, it needs to be known now they have now hired their 4th candidate at best. Jak left, Jackson left but was called to take the job after Jak left (he laughed at them), Hatley was called after Jackson laughed at them..........he laughed too.

This system is a complete joke.

Dont know the man from adam, and wish him good luck. BUT, it needs to be known now they have now hired their 4th candidate at best. Jak left, Jackson left but was called to take the job after Jak left (he laughed at them), Hatley was called after Jackson laughed at them..........he laughed too.

This system is a complete joke.

You mean 5th choice sir. Beaubian was called after Hatley. Beaubian was already the HC at Kenwood by that time. For the record I do not know if he did any laughing or not.

You mean 5th choice sir. Beaubian was called after Hatley. Beaubian was already the HC at Kenwood by that time. For the record I do not know if he did any laughing or not.

For the record, Mintz was ahead of both Jakobik and Beaubian for the Marshall Co. job last year. He was número uno out of 20+ applicants, which included a Mississippi state champion and former college head coach. Just throwing that out there.

Seems like the Cheatham Co faithful complained when they didnt have a coach, now they have a better one then they originally hired (Jakobik), and are still complaining. Who cares if he was the 80th choice, roll with him.

I have said many times that I wish the best for the Cubs this year and every year. With Sweatt, Wood, Presley, Brown, Jock, hopefully Newman, Morrow, Shelton, Beamer, and others they'll have a solid core group returning. Those guys have all been a part of the Cubs winning 18 of their last 22 games overall. They'll be a big part of the Cubs making the playoffs for a 9th time in 12 years come November.

Losing a senior class that included Potts, White, Brinkley, and Walton, & the entire line of Keegan (now at SCHS), Glaus, Casteel, Anderson, Fields, Litman, Eslick, and Bose will be a big blow. Losing a coaching staff that included Finley, Jackson, Boyd, Randolph, Patterson, and Langley will be big. 3 of those 6 guys were volunteers who basically coached for free. You can't ignore that as if it's meaningless.

Will the Cubs have a good year? Yes! Do they have good players? Yes! Did they hire a good coach in Mintz? Yes! His track record doesn't lie. Will they make the playoffs? Yes!