First its Big 8 and then Big 7. AAA District 1 Changes but still tough

PHargis

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There had been some discussion whether Dobyns Bennett and Sullivan South would continue to play each other in the regular season since South has dropped to AA. The schedules are out and I am glad to report they play each other twice with each team hosting one match. It would have been sad to see this rivalry end. These matches have provided the largest most enthusiastic crowds at any volleyball match I have seen including the state tournament and I know the players all look forward to it.

As far as District 1 AAA goes - without South - DB and Science Hill will fight it out for the top spot. Science Hill will miss Renzey Rice who could do it all so i would think DB is the favorite.

In District 1 AA - Sullivan South and Sullivan East would have to be the favorites.

Looks like South has home and away matches with Science Hill and Central, too. Nice move to maintain the rivalries and bigger crowds as well as play some tougher competition.

Defending state champ Goodpasture has moved down to A along with local power South Greene. Who are the early favorites in class AA? With the big girl CAK has to be in the mix.

Edited by sshsvbdad09

CAK will not be challenged in AA. The 6 foot six inch middle is the most physically dominant player in the state. They should have won the state championship each of the past two years but performed poorly in the post season. This year, absent an injury, they should have an easy run. No one in Knoxville will challenge them. They went out and hired a big time asst coach who should solve some of the coaching problems come tournament time. They could go undefeated.

Farragut and Oak Ridge should win each of their AAA districts with little struggle. The top three teams last year, Anderson County, Bearden and Hardin Valley graduated almost all of their starters, Bearden has a great setter, but weak hitting, AC and HV don't return anyone. Karns has a great player in their OH but their coach doesn't use her enough. AC usually puts together a strong team, but I don't see them beating OR. HV and Bearden will fight for second.

In Knoxville I would go as follows

CAK

Farragut

OR

HV

Bearden

AC

Karns

Webb

Maryville

Catholic

CAK won't lose to any east tenn team, and if the new coach takes over tournament prep they are state champs. South should be the other state tournament team as long as they stay opposite CAK.

Farragut, OR, DB or SH should win sectionals, but probably can't make a run.

Orcat...you are out of your mind.

First off, the middle at CAK is pretty clumsy. She was not impressive during club despite her height. She may turn into a great player, but just not yet.

I agree Farragut will do pretty good this year, but Oak Ridge wont even be there to find out. AC has lost several seniors and will be down quite a bit this year, but they have great coaching, so you never know. Bearden will have their Libero back and of course their setter and will still do good things despite their lack of hitting. Hardin Valley will probably be even better this year. They did not lose too much and will continue to improve. They are in District 4 this year so will have to contend with Farragut and Bearden in Districts. Karns wont be a huge threat this year even so they have a couple of players. Clinton looked pretty good as the season went on last year. They did lose a couple of players, but the others should have improved. With Hardin Valley out of District 3, AC down, and Oak Ridge and Karns not looking exceptional, I think Clinton has a chance to be on top.

I will un-scramble your puzzle to more like this:

CAK (maybe)

Hardin Valley

Farragut

Bearden

Clinton (you left out)

Oak Ridge

Karns

Webb

Maryville

Catholic

AC

I think you are putting too much into the middle at CAK. They are a great team, but she is not the magic.

HV, Farragut, DB or SH. I dont think anyone in District 3 gets past regions.

We seem to be pretty close. Look again at my comment on the 6 6 middle, is physically dominant. She may be the tallest player to ever play in knoxville. Where 5 10 is considered BIG she should not be challenged. In AA no one will beat. They should be working on a three peat, but this should be the year.

I don't agree with HV. They lost Crocket and Reagan, which was 90 percent of their offense.

Farragut will throttle them.

Clinton? It wouldn't surprise me if they don't even have a losing season. OR is well coached, athletic, and focused.

OR is best coached team in district 3, most athletic team, and has the most returning players. Putting us behind Clinton is obviously a joke.

I stand by my predictions.

Gotta agree HUGELY with clubonly on this one. First of all the CAK middle IS NOT playing middle right now. OR will not even be in the running. Bearden will not beat Farragut. HV will be decent.

BTW...What division 1 volleyball program did the HV libero (from last year) sign with? Someone on here last year said she had her choice of schools. Does anyone know which one she picked?

Do you guys even know what Oak Ridge has this year?

First, CAK will not be challenged by Catholic. Not even close. CAK has more talent, and height, than any Knoxville team.

Second, I agree that Bearden will not beat Farragut.

Third, who beats OR in District 3?

You apparantely did not have the opportunity to watch the CAK middle during club season. Enough said.

HV - Crocket was only "on" some of the time. Reagan was a good player, but HV continues to be loaded with club players that get better each year.

I agree Farragut will do good

Clinton - Someone told me they beat OR twice last year? What does OR have this year that they did not last year?

Its fun to talk trash, but you seem to have a reputation of talking up OR every year, yet they disappoint every year. I actually heard CF cut a lot of players and OR is loaded with freshmen? Just a rumor probably.

I am sure CAK will be good and they might win the state. To say they will not be challenged - not to so sure about that! I saw them play last year in the Pick O Dixie. They didn't win the tournament. South beat Hardin Valley in the championship in what was a great match.

The last two years Sullivan South has finished 3rd and 5th in the state in AAA. Yes, they lost some good players but they have some good ones still there. I am looking forward to the season. I hope CAK and South do get a chance to play in one of the tournaments. Should be a good match.

Announcements

• Recent Posts

• Yes region 1 is extremely weak but a # 5 seed out of region 2 has no business in the playoffs either. 
    • They've had some great talent over the years. They usually don't whip no one but can be tough to stop on offence.
    • Could be a lot of reason from what I’ve seen so far.  The lights wouldn’t turn on at Smyrna last night and had to move games to Blackman could be a reason or maybe he is talking about how on some of the games on NFHS network the camera placement was absolutely asinine. ( had a camera set up right in front of a net and couldn’t see crap)
    • If Gordonsville can manage getting through these next 2 games without using him it will be ideal. ER was the last team to not have to pitch their #1 till the state championship i believe. Worked out well for them but they also had one of the best 1A staffs of all time that year. Only allowed one run the whole tournament and it was in the 7th inning.
    • And he’s not even their #1. Lights out performance. Gordonsville is in the drivers seat with their #1 arm available throughout the tournament.