Best Coach in DII

mustachiomenace

Sorry you couldn't get into Ensworth, Dude; we all know that heck hath no fury like a woman scorned. Keep on hatin' - I'm sure your life is better for it.

That small college didn't even exist when I was in school RedRobin.  If it weren't for the  Million Dollar mules that he brings in, there would be no trophies.  You also said keep on hatin?  Classic.  Did you go to Maplewood, Dude?  No more time for you from  this end.  Right and Done.

Its hard to call the coach with the best players "Best Coach", so the argument will never end.

Considering the barriers to enter Ensworth - tuition, fees, location, academic qualification - how does Ensworth get so many great players from around town?

Simple - kids and parents want to be part of a great academic program that has a very good athletic program.  They take the steps required to potentially enter the school.  The first is applying, interviews, etc. 

Ensworth is not an easy school academically so a kid no matter how great they are must be able to handle the academic work. If they accepted all the athletes who apply there they would more than likely compete for a national championship each year . I personally know two kids who will be best players on division winning teams who were not accepted because of grades. They have an abundance of athletes now but there are large numbers who apply and simply can not do the required coursework ..

Simple - kids and parents want to be part of a great academic program that has a very good athletic program. They take the steps required to potentially enter the school. The first is applying, interviews, etc.

owlbooster:

There is a MUS/Whitehaven scrmmage thread over in the Class AAA (5A and 6A Playoff Teams) section. If you attended the scrimmage or have any knowledge of it, would you mind popping over to make a comment or two if you have anything you would like to say about it. I'd love to get your POV.

Thanks.

Now .... back to your regularly scheduled program.

KWC - Nothing to add.  Wasn't there.  Heard it was a defensive struggle and neither team crossed the goal line, unlike last year when MUS hung 5 TDs on the Tigers and "won" easily.

The Owls have huge shoes to fill at QB.  That's their main issue.  Couldn't make it to Da Haven because:

A. I melt when the heat index exceeds 100

B. My armored HUMVEE was in the shop

C. My KEVLAR vest was at the dry cleaners

D. All of the above

E. None of the above

:rolleyes: Look forward to your weekly prognostication service.....

Edited by owlbooster

Ensworth is not an easy school academically so a kid no matter how great they are must be able to handle the academic work. If they accepted all the athletes who apply there they would more than likely compete for a national championship each year . I personally know two kids who will be best players on division winning teams who were not accepted because of grades. They have an abundance of athletes now but there are large numbers who apply and simply can not do the required coursework ..

That statement is even more profoundly true at MBA and MUS, the two elite DII academic schools. 

BEST COACH IN DII....BEST COACH IN DII...DII...DII...DII....

As happens all too frequently a Blount County booster/KoolAid drinker and/or DII hater shows up and attempts to hijack the thread by changing/expanding the topic (best coach in TN) so he can talk about his own team/coach and/or take a direct/indirect "pot shot" at a DII team/coach....

Never ceases to amaze me...

Baylorbigdog1976 posted on a "Murvil" blog 2 links to newspaper articles about THE SCRIMMAGE and was "hounded" for it (pun intended).  BTW Big Thanks to you BBD for those links which enabled the uninformed/disadvantaged in West TN to read about it.

Trying awfully hard to find something there Owlbooster , if you call that being hounded I'd hate to see what you'd do if somebody really did "HOUND " someone ... I find your attitude of us against the world a little funny , believe it or not some of us Public school guys have no problem with the DII schools and would love to play them every year .

Bowers has done an excellent job regardless of the talent available. During his early years at Ensworth, he had far less talent than he now has, yet had excellent seasons and beat some very very talented teams. That success has led to more talent being attracted to him at Ensworth; kids attend that school for many diverse reasons, but any kid that wants to play football can appreciate the tremendous coaching and training he will receive from Bowers and the rest of his staff. Success breeds success, and Ensworth is clearly enjoying the truth of that maxim, but it all started with great coaching.

If anyone wants to see the type of coach Bowers is, I suggest that they attend an Ensworth basketball game. It is much easier to observe a coach in action in basketball than in football. Bower's basketball teams, featuring mostly kids that also play football, have won the last 3 D2-AA basketball state championships against teams with far more "basketball talent", including nationally ranked players and programs. Last year was a good example, when Ensworth, whose tallest player was a 6'4" sophomore whose natural position is shooting guard, beat Briarcrest (featuring 6'8" senior Austin Nichols) and gave the ultra-talented CPA a significant scare in the close confines of CPA's home gym. I sincerely doubt that anyone who has watched a Bowers-led basketball team will ever again accuse Ricky of simply "recruiting" talent and then just rolling out the balls to let them play. It's the same in football, though it may be harder for the average fan to see.

Thats a good post...never looked at it like that

Bowers has done an excellent job regardless of the talent available. During his early years at Ensworth, he had far less talent than he now has, yet had excellent seasons and beat some very very talented teams. That success has led to more talent being attracted to him at Ensworth; kids attend that school for many diverse reasons, but any kid that wants to play football can appreciate the tremendous coaching and training he will receive from Bowers and the rest of his staff. Success breeds success, and Ensworth is clearly enjoying the truth of that maxim, but it all started with great coaching.

If anyone wants to see the type of coach Bowers is, I suggest that they attend an Ensworth basketball game. It is much easier to observe a coach in action in basketball than in football. Bower's basketball teams, featuring mostly kids that also play football, have won the last 3 D2-AA basketball state championships against teams with far more "basketball talent", including nationally ranked players and programs. Last year was a good example, when Ensworth, whose tallest player was a 6'4" sophomore whose natural position is shooting guard, beat Briarcrest (featuring 6'8" senior Austin Nichols) and gave the ultra-talented CPA a significant scare in the close confines of CPA's home gym. I sincerely doubt that anyone who has watched a Bowers-led basketball team will ever again accuse Ricky of simply "recruiting" talent and then just rolling out the balls to let them play. It's the same in football, though it may be harder for the average fan to see.

Thats a good post...never looked at it like that

That statement is even more profoundly true at MBA and MUS, the two elite DII academic schools.

"Elite" is obviously in the eye of the beholder, but I would just like to point out that since graduating its first senior class in 2008, Ensworth has had 2 Presidential Scholars (2009 and 2013). MBA and MUS have combined for a total of 0 during that same period. There follows a description of this award from the U.S. Department of Education web site:

The U.S. Presidential Scholars Program was established in 1964, by

executive order of the President, to recognize and honor some of our

nation's most distinguished graduating high school seniors. In 1979,

the program was extended to recognize students who demonstrate

exceptional talent in the visual, creative and performing arts.

Each year, up to 141 students are named as Presidential Scholars,

one of the nation's highest honors for high school students.

Neither of the awards to Ensworth students was in the "visual, creative and performing arts" category. Both MUS and MBA are excellent academic schools. So is Ensworth.

"Elite" is obviously in the eye of the beholder, but I would just like to point out that since graduating its first senior class in 2008, Ensworth has had 2 Presidential Scholars (2009 and 2013). MBA and MUS have combined for a total of 0 during that same period. There follows a description of this award from the U.S. Department of Education web site:

The U.S. Presidential Scholars Program was established in 1964, by

executive order of the President, to recognize and honor some of our

nation's most distinguished graduating high school seniors. In 1979,

the program was extended to recognize students who demonstrate

exceptional talent in the visual, creative and performing arts.

Each year, up to 141 students are named as Presidential Scholars,

one of the nation's highest honors for high school students.

Neither of the awards to Ensworth students was in the "visual, creative and performing arts" category. Both MUS and MBA are excellent academic schools. So is Ensworth.

There is a "pecking order" to everything.  To say that MBA and MUS are the 2 elite academic schools in DII is not to say that any other school is not excellent academically.  EVERY school has its academic "studs;"  MBA and MUS just have more of them. They have higher entrance standards (thus more better students), higher average board scores, dominate the statewide academic competitions, lead the state in Merit Scholar Semifinalists almost every year, etc.etc.etc.  MUS has won the Memphis Knowledge Bowl the last 2 or 3 years.  And it's usually not close. 

Edited by owlbooster
  • Upvote 1

There is a "pecking order" to everything.  To say that MBA and MUS are the 2 elite academic schools in DII is not to say that any other school is not excellent academically.  EVERY school has its academic "studs;"  MBA and MUS just have more of them. They have higher entrance standards (thus more better students), higher average board scores, dominate the statewide academic competitions, lead the state in Merit Scholar Finalists almost every year, etc.etc.etc.  MUS has won the Memphis Knowledge Bowl the last 2 or 3 years.  And it's usually not close. 

Any data points or statistics to back this up other than your random statements that can't be measured?