Mayfield (KY) Scrimmage @ Milan, Aug 9

ToothPick

This is my once a year visit before the annual Mayfield VS. Milan scrimmage game.  The first scrimmage for the Mayfield Cardinals and I assume the first for Milan as well. 

Mayfield will feature their 3rd year starting QB who threw for over 3,400 yards, 37 TD's and 1 int. as a junior last season and has the entire offensive line returning.  Gone are 2 college bound  linebackers (one left as the schools all time tackler) and primary RB who was a 1st team all state performer and 4 year starter.  The Cardinals have played in 4 state title games in a row winning in 2010 and last season.  Milan has been to 4 of the last 5 if I am not mistaken.  Both teams are coached by a Morris and they are first cousins which is likely the reason this scrimmage game has survived since the teams stopped playing each other in the regular season back in the late 1990's.   

So what can we expect from Milan tomorrow?

This is my once a year visit before the annual Mayfield VS. Milan scrimmage game.  The first scrimmage for the Mayfield Cardinals and I assume the first for Milan as well. 

Mayfield will feature their 3rd year starting QB who threw for over 3,400 yards, 37 TD's and 1 int. as a junior last season and has the entire offensive line returning.  Gone are 2 college bound  linebackers (one left as the schools all time tackler) and primary RB who was a 1st team all state performer and 4 year starter.  The Cardinals have played in 4 state title games in a row winning in 2010 and last season.  Milan has been to 4 of the last 5 if I am not mistaken.  Both teams are coached by a Morris and they are first cousins which is likely the reason this scrimmage game has survived since the teams stopped playing each other in the regular season back in the late 1990's.   

So what can we expect from Milan tomorrow?

Two new quarterbacks with 1 scrimmage game under their belt, and a good beat down by a 1A Kentucky school. But Milan will be ready by the start of the season. The bulldogs will win 5 games this year.

Mayfield won the scrimmage game 41 -  20 but Milan looked good at times.

Actually the score was Mayfield 43-12 Overall but it broke down like this

Varsity score was  28-6

JV 15-6

I left a little disappointed, our passing game was good but not great but the troubling part for me was our running game was just plain poor and most of the blame falls on out running backs or lack of. 

Our defense held up okay considering we had a couple of our main guys out.  The main disappointment was our secondary looked poor at times.  Mayfield's varsity only gave up one score and it was on a bomb on the first play from scrimmage after the JV played for a while but there were plenty of near pass defense disasters.  Think goodness Milan was not a good passing team.  

As for Milan, their backs ran hard but were usually at a disadvantage because Mayfield line was better.  The Milan punter was great.  Milan has a ways to go but I do see potential and if Morris is half the coach his Kentucky cousin is then he should eventually get them to be decent but I think they may have lost to much make it back to state this year.  Their passing game was bad but I think that its due to the current QB situation though Milan has never relied too much on the pass. 

Good luck to the Bulldogs this year   

Varsity score was  28-6

JV 15-6

I left a little disappointed, our passing game was good but not great but the troubling part for me was our running game was just plain poor and most of the blame falls on out running backs or lack of. 

Our defense held up okay considering we had a couple of our main guys out.  The main disappointment was our secondary looked poor at times.  Mayfield's varsity only gave up one score and it was on a bomb on the first play from scrimmage after the JV played for a while but there were plenty of near pass defense disasters.  Think goodness Milan was not a good passing team.  

As for Milan, their backs ran hard but were usually at a disadvantage because Mayfield line was better.  The Milan punter was great.  Milan has a ways to go but I do see potential and if Morris is half the coach his Kentucky cousin is then he should eventually get them to be decent but I think they may have lost to much make it back to state this year.  Their passing game was bad but I think that its due to the current QB situation though Milan has never relied too much on the pass. 

Varsity score was  28-6

JV 15-6

I agree with you and thanks for right score.