Huntingdon vs Bruceton

horse

In gridiron football, a chop block is an attempt by an offensive player to cut block a defensive player who is already being blocked by another offensive player. The second block may need to be below the thigh or knee, depending on the code. In the NFL, NCAA, and in high school football, the penalty for a violation is 15 yards.[1]

Chop blocks are banned because they are dangerous. They were first banned in the NCAA in 1980.[2]

I know that. They called it on our defensive player.

The National Federation of High Schools adopted the rule hoping to impress upon coaches and players the need to have all helmets properly snapped.

One question that came up immediately is if a timeout could be substituted for a player leaving the game.

Another change is more of a further definition of blocking below the waist.

“In the past if someone is not in the free-blocking zone — if a defender’s hands touched you before you touched him — then all bets were off,†McWherter said.

“Now, 95 percent of the time [the call] will be whether the initial surge was an illegal block. Did [the blocker] go low or did he start above the waist and a defender pushed him down low?â€

Local referees director George Shuford indicated that it was not a major change.

“It is an interpretation of calling the play. I don’t think coaches need to be concerned about it and I don’t think [the problem] is the way coaches are teaching,†he said.

There was no mention of defenders chopping blockers below the waist, which at times presented itself last year.

“There was some controversy on that last year where defenders were cutting offensive players, especially the fullback, out of the box and then in the box,†Slaughter said. “I was hoping there would be a rule that would eliminate defenders diving into offensive players’ legs. I don’t think there are that many backs or receivers blocking below the waist. It’s on defense where it’s a bigger issue.â€

I am not saying refs cost us the game. I am not sayin they made it a blow out, but I have seen a lot of horrible calls at the 3 games I have been to. I have been to different schools games each week. I have heard other people and coachin complaining as well. Tessa has got to do something about the calls the refs are and aren't making.

I am not saying refs cost us the game. I am not sayin they made it a blow out, but I have seen a lot of horrible calls at the 3 games I have been to. I have been to different schools games each week. I have heard other people and coachin complaining as well. Tessa has got to do something about the calls the refs are and aren't making.

You are right.  LIKE The one they didnt call when the Bruceton QB threw the ball 30 yards down field with not receiver anywhere around.  A No Call.

Y'all's punt on our sideline that was downed at the 3 hit out of bounds outside the 10. I saw stuff just like it at a game last week that I went to.

If you really aren't happy with the officiating you can join as one at anytime. They have a very difficult job to do. No matter how hard you argue, this game was not decided by referees. They always have calls that can be looked at from both sides!!

If you really aren't happy with the officiating you can join as one at anytime. They have a very difficult job to do. No matter how hard you argue, this game was not decided by referees. They always have calls that can be looked at from both sides!!

Apparently u missed my post earlier. I said I know they did not cost us the game. Go back and check before you get jumpy. I am a coach. My job is to teach and coach. Theirs is to ref. I am held liable for my screw ups they should be as well. People all over west Tennessee are saying the same thing about the refs. Edited by Tigerslegacy

49 total yards for Bruceton.   Very impressive for the Huntingdon's Defense.   Costly fumbles is killing the Mustangs.  fumble fumble fumble...  First half looked like the West Carroll game last year.     Big win to go 3-0     Union City at Home next week.

Also 10 year reunion for the 2003 State Championship.   Come on out and support the Mustangs

49 yards ... very impressive.  Gold Ball is going through West TN this year.  Congrats.

Apparently u missed my post earlier. I said I know they did not cost us the game. Go back and check before you get jumpy. I am a coach. My job is to teach and coach. Theirs is to ref. I am held liable for my screw ups they should be as well. People all over west Tennessee are saying the same thing about the refs.

If your job is to coach you shouldn't be on coach t asking questions about the refs. I think a chop block was called against a defender from Westview last week. Maybe it is something they were told to keep an eye on this year. I do wonder why the refs have to huddle everytime a flag is thrown.