Jackson North Side @ Covington

CHARGERFAN

It is not too early to start talking about this one. North Side is apparently improved.

Covington, on the other hand, has looked surprisingly strong after being hit hard by graduation. The Chargers return TA Watson at QB following last year's # 2 finish in the state. We still have a strong stable of running backs led by Foster and Norfolk. The real strength of this team, however, could just be the defense. The D has not given up a point yet this year. Munford got a defensive score in week 0 on a fumble return, but the D has not been scored on yet. Coach Wheeler and staff have these guys performing at a pretty high level.

North Side should be plenty of challenge for the Chargers, but opposing teams have traditionally had a tough time picking up a win on Covington's home turf.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sonny Moore shows Covington ahead 8 points in the power rankings , plus 3 for home field advantage, thus an 11 point spread.

The Maxprepsite shows the Chargers an 8 point favorite based on their rankings difference.

Now, this early in the season, a lot of the rankings have to be based on last year's results. That might not sufficiently account for the graduated players for Covington.

It's interesting to discuss, but the game will be decided between the lines on Friday.

Edited by CHARGERFAN

Just looking at the scores of the teams North Side has played it appears Covington shouldn't have much trouble barring injuries or unexpected issues with players.Glad that Foster decided to rejoin Covington as he has been a huge plus.  Hines is starting to find his way also so add Norfork that is three running backs Covington can rely on.  Just think five years ago we were pursuing a .500 season and now we expect to win every game. Off topic: Covington freshman and the middle school are also coming along nicely. If we can just keep our coaching staff intact Covington should be competitive the next few years. Go Chargers! 

If we can just keep our coaching staff intact Covington should be competitive the next few years. Go Chargers!

I look at teams that are successful year after year and I think that Covington is almost at that level. Aside from a coaching hire mistake, we have had good success under 4 of our last 5 coaches. Playing for the Gold Ball 3 times in the last 12 years is pretty good success to this old boy. I know that we have not won it all yet, but for a school that barely is large enough to qualify for 4A, we are doing pretty well.

Now we are not a Maryville or Alcoa, but we are pretty competitive in our neck of the woods.

Just looking at the scores of the teams North Side has played it appears Covington shouldn't have much trouble barring injuries or unexpected issues with players.Glad that Foster decided to rejoin Covington as he has been a huge plus.  Hines is starting to find his way also so add Norfork that is three running backs Covington can rely on.  Just think five years ago we were pursuing a .500 season and now we expect to win every game. Off topic: Covington freshman and the middle school are also coming along nicely. If we can just keep our coaching staff intact Covington should be competitive the next few years. Go Chargers! 

really...

how does that makes sense...u think NS wouldnt put up 50 or 60 against the same team u played friday night...

i would think the quality of opponents they have played is better than what covington has faced thus far

this should be a good game...and more trouble than u think is heading ur way

The Charger running attack has been the big surprise for me in the first two games. I expected DaiQuon Norfolk (44) be one of our top rushers. Aaron Fosteo (5), however, has been a surprise to me. At times he looks like Johnstone White, our record setting RB who graduated and is at Ark State now. He had 132 yards on just 7 carries vs Hillcrest.

Can the Chargers maintain this pace against better competition? We'll see. That's why they play the games.