CAKe @ Catlick -

CAK coach took points off the board after they went up 9-7 and then after the next play it's 14-7 Catholic.

The way CAK's defense was playing he should have never taken those points off the board. CAK kicker went from kicking the game winner to feeling horrible.

Questionable strategy by CAK coach who went against one of the basic rules of football coaching to never takes points off the board.

My Spartans should be ready for next week's game... should be a good one.

• Upvote 1

CAK coach took points off the board after they went up 9-7 and then after the next play it's 14-7 Catholic.

The way CAK's defense was playing he should have never taken those points off the board. CAK kicker went from kicking the game winner to feeling horrible.

Questionable strategy by CAK coach who went against one of the basic rules of football coaching to never takes points off the board.

Hindsight certainly is 20-20. I don't blame CAK for taking those points off of the board, especially since the penalty gave them 1st and goal at the 2. You see teams all of the time take points off of the board in that exact same situation. In a game where points are hard to come by, I think CAK did the right thing.

True...that is one of those maxims of the game...but I would have done the same thing, so I can't be critical of the decision. The penalty gave CAK the ball first and goal inside the 5 yard line. The play call was a conservative off tackle run and the kid just didn't hold onto the ball. Sure, in retrospect I would make a different decision now, but based on where the ball was placed after the penalty I understand his decision. As far as the maxim goes...I've seen the same decision pay off in other games. Secure the football is a much more important maxim than this one. Regardless, close losses like these sting just a little more. I'm hopeful that the team and coaches will learn from this game and get prepared for a tough test against your Spartans. The wing T teams always give us fits and we have to find an answer to losing our deep threat receiver. I'm sure there will be a good crowd on hand. Good news is that we have saved a lot of gas money in this two week stretch of neighborhood football, ha.

Respect both of your opinions and I did say questionable call on his part in my post. However, I would never have done it based on how well the CAK defense was stopping Catholic. Most likely scenario would have been a 9-7 lead and then getting the ball back on the plus side of the field.

Understood... just one of those decisions that didn't work out for us...but IMO there were several other issues with that game that resulted in the defeat that were more significant. But I fully understand your argument and it has merit.

Aside from the taking the points off conundrum, I would have to second guess CBB's play call on second down in OT. They had run the ball down Catlick's throat all night and had second/goal from the 4.

A roll out?? Really??

I always said CAKe would never win a championship until they could run the ball, then they did and won. I have heard that the QB was not supposed to pull the ball on the play fake, but I ain't buying it.

Got to punch it in and get out of there.

CAKe is still a player in 3A, and their schedule will make them playoff ready as long as too many don't get hurt. 

And for Chrissakes man, find another back that can run it. Jost is tough but he can't do it all himself.

Edited by AlcoasPaintedBridge

Read Option was the call (according to my info B) ), made the wrong read and kept it...from the bleachers it looked like giving the ball would have resulted in the winning score...but its a bang bang decision.  Tough call for an under experienced QB on a team that primarily passes the ball.  In retrospect I'm sure CRB wishes he had taken the decision out of the QB's hands and just made it an automatic give...but in defeat there are always play calls that a coach would like to have back, at least there were for me. I know in the past C.High pulled the ball when the call was a give and he walked into the end zone for the score, but he was a very experienced and skilled QB.  I agree that we had something going with the running game, kudos to the offensive line for opening up those holes, once again, they aren't asked to do that very often and I thought they did a very good job of it Friday night, along with #4.  But, we gave up 2 fumbles (one resulting in a 92 yard TD return) and a pick 6, so I still contend that the turnovers are what was our demise, not the play calls.  I think #34 can be a nice running back to compliment #4 if given the opportunities.  CAK is going to have to improve the passing attack or rethink our scheme and start developing a game plan with a more versatile running game.  The loss of #6 as our speedy deep threat certainly hurt us and I'm not sure if he will be able to return to receiving duties or not.  If not, then I believe changes are in order.

That's cool.

As an aside, there were many, MANY pearl white Escalades on the Catlick campus with tags and

sticker representing both schools.

You folks really, really need to get to know me...before you scratch them. ;)

They just buy new ones!!!!! :) I think that's your point??? Lol!$$$$$ Edited by F5seekshelter

That's cool.

As an aside, there were many, MANY pearl white Escalades on the Catlick campus with tags and sticker representing both schools.

You folks really, really need to get to know me...before you scratch them. ;)

They're just on loan from Duncan Automotive....Marty Duncan's got a real good detail and touch up man  :mrgreen:   If you liked those momma & daddy cars, you should see the ones the players drive  :thumb: