Beech vs. Indy

tandem

This is ridiculous. The number of carries Hurd had last year had nothing to do with him getting injured. No one was complaining when he was setting records and becoming the most talked about player in TN.

Couldn't agree more Tandem! Hurd's injury has nothing to do with number of carries "last year!" If memory serves me correctly, he was injured in the game against Station Camp that was played in 2013..and not 2012!

Furthermore..congrats on the big win...I for one (and was in the minority)am/was not surprised in the least!

This is ridiculous. The number of carries Hurd had last year had nothing to do with him getting injured. No one was complaining when he was setting records and becoming the most talked about player in TN.

yeah, high school kids have torn labrums all the time right?  o wait, you're telling me it's only the kids playing football and baseball who continually get over-used and abused by their coaches? 

• Upvote 1

Glad to see the Bucs pull it out, but agreeing with the last couple of posts, I am very concerned with running Carter like that. J Hurd took a beating last year carrying it "too many" times, but even he never carried it like that. His ypc average was generally a lot higher, and everyone just accepted it because there was no one else to back him up. This year there are other capable backs though, and 50 carries in a game is just unacceptable imo. 

why was there "no one to back him up"?  i know carter was suspended for the first few games last year, but crabtree still rode hurd, who curiously enough was sporting a shoulder injury, throughout the playoffs when carter most definitely could have carried some of the load.  all beech supporters talked about, outside of hurd's brilliance, was that carter was also a d-1 type of back.  so why wouldn't crabtree give him a more prominent role in the offense?  split the carries 2/3 to 1/3 if he's that good?  what was the ratio of hurd carries to carter carries in the playoffs?  outside of the northeast game, and part of the northside game, their playoff run was rarely in doubt.  but hurd would still be out there, racking up meaningless stats when the game was well out of reach. 

and then this year, after hurd gets hurt, you still have carter and #27 (trezvant?).  27 showed in the station camp game and the henry county game that he was a very talented 3rd, now 2nd back.  is he hurt?  did he not play in this game? 

it just seems to me that crabtree takes his best weapon and beats it to death.  the qb is more than capable of carrying some of the load.  and if you don't think that hurd taking 30-40 shots every friday night for the past year didn't take a toll on his body, and shoulder in particular, then you are very naive.  i wish hurd, and carter, the best of luck in their careers.  but i have a funny feeling that tennessee is receiving damaged goods as soon as hurd reaches knoxville, and a lot of the blame has to sit on crabtree's shoulders for the way he's handled him the past year. 

i'm sure some of you beech supporters will come on here and accuse me of hating your team, which couldn't be further from the truth.  but much like a coach allowing a 16 year old kid to throw 150 pitches in a game, letting a running back carry the ball 40-50 times a game is placing the kid's longterm health in danger.  and regardless of how many state titles the guy has won, the adults in charge need to evaluate the cost of winning.

yeah, high school kids have torn labrums all the time right?  o wait, you're telling me it's only the kids playing football and baseball who continually get over-used and abused by their coaches?

No. I'm saying football is a rough game. Sometimes kids get hurt. Torn meniscus, torn acl, broken bones, all have happened to Beech players this year. And none of these players carried the ball a single time. There are lots of ways that torn labrums happen besides being "abused".

Towards the end of the season, I felt they stayed with Hurd because he got the job done. Carter came into the season late and certainly did not play like he is playing now. Perhaps Crabtree didn't feel confident with him on the final stretch. 

Excluding the two games that Hurd sat out, he actually only averaged 24 carries per game. He took a lot of abuse last year because every team stacked the box against us because we've always been one-dimensional - not that he ran it a ridiculous amount of times. All in all, I just believe that it is hard on any one player doing that much work. Hurd, Carter or whoever. 

I don't agree with the number of carries that Carter had tonight though. Their bodies do begin to wear down, and after a few games like this, his playing and performance will suffer. Overcompensating, altering movements and so forth (due to fatigue, soreness, inability to heal completely) can certainly cause injury. 

Van Zant is a good backup to Carter and should have helped carry that load tonight. 

Hurd's injury was an acute injury not overuse. Even after the original acute injury last year, he competed without difficulty on the way to realizing a dream for himself and his team.

What are dreams worth? Sweat, blood, injury? Injuries occur. It is an unfortunate part of sports.

Carter with 50+ carries? 30+ is enough for most. Not sure why, but I am sure the kid was ready to play for victory and did not want to come out. He must have felt good enough to carry the load and it showed.

No. I'm saying football is a rough game. Sometimes kids get hurt. Torn meniscus, torn acl, broken bones, all have happened to Beech players this year. And none of these players carried the ball a single time. There are lots of ways that torn labrums happen besides being "abused".

QB was 0-3 for 0 yds passing

Campbell 2-2

Carter 54-306 5.7 ave

Hawkins 6-30

Henry 4-21

Wright 1 minus 1

So combined rushes other then carter 13 and 3 passes

Beech 16 plays

Carter 54

Sooner or later this wil catch up to him

Saw video of game and it was not carter going out of bounds to avoid hit he was churning and taking hits

Was Vanzant sick?