Loretto vs. Mt. Pleasant

lowtn

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They might as well out dresses on them and wrap them in a bubble suit, this is football and if the qb has the ball in his hand its the defenses job to get him down. Way too many sissy calls made on roughing the passer. This is a contact sport!

There is a good reason why 'face mask' breaks a rule and is penalized as 'unnecessary contact' in this contact sport we are talking of...... Using the head for leverage, it turns the head and wrenches the neck with very serious possibilities of doing permanent damage to the neck area/even paralysis. An arm around the neck pinning the head for leverage to take a player down can also wrench the neck with very serious possibilities of permanently damaging the player as well. Just unnecessary. Plays like that are just going to happen, but they should be called, penalized and try to be limited to not happen often nor promoted to. We all have been drilled/taught/promoted to tackle or take down from the waist down. As it properly should be.

Any other time I can agree with your statement 150%..... From head/neck down.... Get it on.... Nobody stands and cheers a squared up, solid, big hit/tackle on a QB more than I.

Just wanted to clarify my posistion a little more.

Edited by Big Bigby

This out today on the Columbia Daily Herald. Got some good stats I figured some would want to know.......

MUSTANGS HOLD OFF TIGERS’ COMEBACK

By HAROLD GRIMES

Correspondent

LORETTO — A pair of fourth quarter touchdowns by Mt. Pleasant was not enough to rescue the Tigers Friday, and they fell to Loretto 29-20 in a game between a pair of 2-A schools.

The Tigers (1-5), who led 8-7 at intermission, saw the Mustangs move ahead by 21 points before falling for the third time after holding a slim halftime lead.

Mt. Pleasant led Columbia Academy 14-13 and Spring Hil 12-6 after two quarters this season.

Chance Kennedy’s fumble recovery at the Tigers’ 25-yardline set-up the first Loretto touchdown scored by Leo Green on a 3-yard run. Bryce Hannah’s conversion made it 7-0.

Mt. Pleasant responded with a 61-yard run by Ken’Yores Smith for a score, and a go ahead 2-point conversion by Brady Gill on a pass from Walter Crawford.

Smith, who was unable to play most of the remainder of the first half, had a 13-yard run on the 4-play, 75-yard drive.

There was no more scoring until an 18-yard punt early in the third period put Loretto on the Mt. Pleasant 32. On the next play Ryan Ward dashed in for the six-pointer. Dalton Reese ran a 2-point conversion.

Green’s 20-yard interception return put Loretto on the Mt. Pleasant 23. On the first play of the fourth period, Matt Rosson passed to Myles Burks for the final 19 yards.

Neese rambled for 21 yards and Hannah converted for a 29-8 lead with 8:06 to play. Rosson’s 40-yard pass to Logan Nunley highlighted a quick 78 yards.

The Tigers rallied with a 4-play, 77-yard march during which Crawford completed a 9-yard pass to Smith, a 22-yarder to Michael Malugin and a 14-yarder to Houston Paul. Gill’s 32-yard run resulted in the touchdown with 6:39 remaining. The run for the extra failed.

Gill’s recovery of an onsides kick put the Tigers on the Mustangs 49. All 49 yards of the drive came on three completions by Crawford including a pair to Rodney Harvell for 11 and 36 yards. Smith’s 2-yard leaping reception produced the six points.

There was 3:21 to play, but the ensuing Mt. Pleasant onsides kick was recovered by Loretto. The Mustangs ran out the clock.

Mt. Pleasant outgained Loretto 341-301 yards but had a dozen more offensive snaps and a lot of the yardage was from their own 20 to the Mustangs 40.

Neese accounted for 91 of Loretto’s 214 yards rushing. Mt. Pleasant had 180 on the ground with Smith getting 105 in seven carries.

Rosson added 87 yards passing on four completions, while the Tigers had 161 via the airways. Crawford completed 10 for 132 yards. Smith added 29 on two completions and had four receptions for 26 yards.

Mt. Pleasant (1-5) carries a 1-1 District 11-A record into Friday’s home game with Richland (0-6, 0-2).

Source: http://columbiadailyherald.com/sections/sports/preps/mustangs-hold-tigers%E2%80%99-comeback.html

There is a good reason why 'face mask' breaks a rule and is penalized as 'unnecessary contact' in this contact sport we are talking of...... Using the head for leverage, it turns the head and wrenches the neck with very serious possibilities of doing permanent damage to the neck area/even paralysis. An arm around the neck pinning the head for leverage to take a player down can also wrench the neck with very serious possibilities of permanently damaging the player as well. Just unnecessary. Plays like that are just going to happen, but they should be called, penalized and try to be limited to not happen often nor promoted to. We all have been drilled/taught/promoted to tackle or take down from the waist down. As it properly should be.

Any other time I can agree with your statement 150%..... From head/neck down.... Get it on.... Nobody stands and cheers a squared up, solid, big hit/tackle on a QB more than I.

Just wanted to clarify my posistion a little more.

Alright, the QB for mTp stepped up in the pocket to throw. He got hit high and low and folded up. Happens all the time and should not have been called the other night. We get that you didn't like it but it was a clean, football play. Nobody from Loretto "wrenched" his neck or pinned his head for leaverage. That's a terrible statement to make when it is not what happened.

One year at Collinwood, an mTp player grabbed the CW QB by the jersey, that's all he got of him, spun him around in a circle to the ground and the CW QB jumped right up from it yet that was flagged for a 15 yard personal foul, roughing the QB, unnecessary roughness.

Last night, the mTp QB was grabbed around the neck from his backside, in choke hold style, taken backwards horse collar like, to the ground hard while in a passing position and left laying there in pain from it stopping the game for a few minutes..... Yet That didn't warrant in the least roughing the passer or 'Unnecessary Roughness'..?.?.?

Look, I am not blaming the player for the tackle. That is just going to happen during the play of ball... I am blaming the ref for not making the call when so many other lesser calls was put against mTp that just wasn't warranted. The league from HS to Pro has been all about protecting defenseless players from taking bad/hard/unnecessary hits/tackles. If a QB with his arm raised in the air trying to pass is not defenseless .... then what is?.... he sure wasn't head down, shoulders lowered ready for a hit or tackle.

Bull crap on the No Call.

Wouldn't expect you to have the best veiw since it happened with the players facing the mTp sideline and their backs towards your side. I had an excellent veiw of it from the mTp side from the 50 yard line, top bleacher. I clearly seen the arm wrapped around the neck. Dangerous way to take someone hard to the ground. Luckily it was only a stinger.

Again good luck to the boys of Loretto the rest of yalls season....... Moving On.

That call was at Cwood back when Marco Daily was a senior, a few of us went to that game because WC was playing Zion Christian and they were awful. That roughing the passer call was the worse call I ever seen.

Alright, the QB for mTp stepped up in the pocket to throw. He got hit high and low and folded up. Happens all the time and should not have been called the other night. We get that you didn't like it but it was a clean, football play. Nobody from Loretto "wrenched" his neck or pinned his head for leaverage. That's a terrible statement to make when it is not what happened.

Got HIT high?.?.?..... He wasn't even hit! He was grabbed from behind around his neck and taken down from behind.... not folded up.....Why in the world do you think the mTp coach ran onto the field damanding it be called and flagged?.....Anytime an arm goes around a neck and force is applied to take one down to the ground, the neck will more than likely get "wrenched" or twisted and the head pinned against the others body. It doesn't happen often but a tackle from the neck and head area should not take place and often is not and is flagged as unnecessary especially on a QB.....and the only Thing that I Did Not Like was seeing that kid lying there hoping he was ok from what You call a fair HIT?.?.?.... what a joke!

That call was at Cwood back when Marco Daily was a senior, a few of us went to that game because WC was playing Zion Christian and they were awful. That roughing the passer call was the worse call I ever seen.

Exactly right.... Also later that game, mTp grabbed CW QB again after being flushed out of the pocket, which turned the QB into a running back exposing him to more harsh tackles, #1 got him by the waist from his side, used that crossed, sideways momentum spun him around in a circle again to the ground to take him down and the flags flew again..... 15 yard unnecessary roughness again.

That game we was all on the sideline stands screaming powder puff football at the refs. So I am for hits and clean tackles for sure. Not for ones that leaves players laying on the field not jumping right back up from.

That game was loud from the fans going back and forth as I remember. Tight game that only Marco was productive in... I think CW held the other 2 mTp backs to just 40 yards total and Marco scored the rest to win it..... Good game to watch him work in.

Unless he picked him up and threw him down or grabbed his face mask then there was nothing to throw a flag on.

Well it is apparent you would be correct in the officials eyes.... Not In mine, and for what really does mine account for other than putting it out there that takedowns to the ground by the neck ort to be added to the penalty list..... Just what the T is for right?.... Voicing ones opinions about the do's or dont's of the games.

Exactly right.... Also later that game, mTp grabbed CW QB again after being flushed out of the pocket, which turned the QB into a running back exposing him to more harsh tackles, #1 got him by the waist from his side, used that crossed, sideways momentum spun him around in a circle again to the ground to take him down and the flags flew again..... 15 yard unnecessary roughness again.

That game we was all on the sideline stands screaming powder puff football at the refs. So I am for hits and clean tackles for sure. Not for ones that leaves players laying on the field not jumping right back up from.

That game was loud from the fans going back and forth as I remember. Tight game that only Marco was productive in... I think CW held the other 2 mTp backs to just 40 yards total and Marco scored the rest to win it..... Good game to watch him work in.

I also remember that game because it ain't rained in weeks and by the end of the 1st qtr MTP white jerseys were muddy as could be, seems the sprinklers didnt want Marco to have much traction and if I remember correctly he hurt his knee or ankle that game.