9AA TALK 2013-14

BIGROB1970

Haven't seen Heritage play yet so basically limited to general observations about them. Did Heritage just get a big man back? If not then I doubt if they "dominate inside" because they obviously haven't done so vs weaker. Darden got in foul trouble against Kenwood , East, and others but it didn't matter. Douglas is an excellent post defender as well and McGowan could see some minutes tonight too. As for predictions-Cubs win.

no new guy. we got a 6'6" kid too.  Wonder how CC will match up defensively tonight?  also interested in seeing this soph. ya'll been talking about. 

Cheatham beat Heritage 72-57 tonight. It was kind of an odd game. Saunders came out hot early and finished with 20 on the night. Douglas was awesome all night with 23 points and 17 boards. Cubs came out strong and led by 13 at the half, but with Harlan on the bench in foul trouble they struggled to find their offensive rhythm in the 3rd. Heritage scrapped their way back into the game with some hot shooting and solid post play. Their post player had an excellent game and gave Cheatham problems on the inside. Cheatham pulled away late with Harlan getting into the paint and creating some easy opportunities for teammates and getting to the line. His importance on the floor for this team can not be overestimated. Officiating was horrible both ways tonight, as more walks were called than in an average 5-6year old game at the YMCA and cheap foul calls plagued both teams. Good luck to Heritage the rest of the way.

Cheatham now stands at 5-0 in the district and plays 5 of their last 7 at home. All 4 of their district road wins have been by double digits and with Westmoreland's loss to White House tonight they basically have a 3 game lead already in the district, but if they want to advance in the postseason they will have to play better than they have in the last 2 outings. I think they will do just that starting Friday night.

"Officiating was horrible both ways tonight, as more walks were called than in an average 5-6year old game at the YMCA and cheap foul calls plagued both teams."

True Mumbly. Officiating was way worse for WHHeritage. The foul count was something like 16 to 6 in the second half alone...(with 3 of the 5 starters fouling out) until about 80 seconds left in the game then finally Heritage gets to shoot 1-1. Cheatham was on the line for the majority of the second half with double bonus. Heritage got whistled for every little thing. Refs swallowed the whistle for the most part on Cheathams behalf. Darden slapping the backboard on an attempted layup for WHH should have been a clear Tech. The block/strip=foul...again no whistle.  The many many moving screen/blocks not called. It was incredible, the no calls that ended up hurting Heritage in the end and Cheatham sunk many many free throws on the instant whistles against WHH.  Now that being said, CCHS is a very good team with all the moving parts. Kudos for shot making ability and FT percentage. Good Job.  When all is said and done its the score at the end of the game that matters. WHH did bring the game very close in the 2nd half, I think they cut the lead to 3 points. The final score is not indicitive to how the game actually played out. I know deep down CCHS knows they played a very good team that has the ability to beat them down the road when it matters most.      

Cheatham had 3 starters on the bench early in the second quarter with foul problems. Harlan's 3rd and Darden's 2nd were really bad, so don't agree with the refs swallowing the whistles on Cheatham's behalf. I think one ref called about 10 walks on Cheatham and none on Heritage as well. 2nd half there were a ton of fouls called on Heritage and when their post fouled out it was over. I agree that the final score was misleading. Too bad they didn't let them play. Heritage played well last night and is better than I thought. They would have beaten everyone else in the district with that type of effort. They will have the Cubs full attention when they come to Ashland City.

Cheatham had 3 starters on the bench early in the second quarter with foul problems. Harlan's 3rd and Darden's 2nd were really bad, so don't agree with the refs swallowing the whistles on Cheatham's behalf. I think one ref called about 10 walks on Cheatham and none on Heritage as well. 2nd half there were a ton of fouls called on Heritage and when their post fouled out it was over. I agree that the final score was misleading. Too bad they didn't let them play. Heritage played well last night and is better than I thought. They would have beaten everyone else in the district with that type of effort. They will have the Cubs full attention when they come to Ashland City.

It was indeed a great game.  Cheatham is very talented and are deserving of their rankings.  The ref's were terrible but they are unaccountable for their actions.  I was very impressed with the sophomore from CC.  I think he made the difference in the game for the Cubs.  Saunders has a sweet shot. 

I would have to say that Cheatham is unquestionably the leader in 9AA this year.  If they do get beat, it would be considered an upset in my book.  With that being said, I do think that the Cubs will get upset before it is all said and done.  Nobody better overlook that first District tournament game.  I believe that the Patriots might have pulled it out last night if Sizemore had not been in foul trouble last night, but it was good to see Thomas Thurman get his stroke back and sink some big 3's.  At midseason, it would be really hard to pick an MVP right now, White, Saunders, Darden, Young, Anderton are all worthy.  Does anyone know where the Dist. tourny will be held at this year?  It has been at Vol State the last few years under the old alignment.  Just wondering if it's been changed.  The rest of the season is going to be interesting.  Congrats to the Blue Devils for picking up the win vs. Westmoreland.

I did hear the District tourney will be at Vol-State again...I do believe that venue is a little out of touch now that the District has shifted North/nwest. Westmoreland being the only one kinda hanging out there with the rest of the teams more this way.

I know it would be a small advantage but I would like to see the Dist.Tourney held at Heritage. The gym is nice and plenty big for the crowd and is centrally located to the new shift in the district.  ehhh prob never happen but its an Idea.

Austin Douglas WAS pivotal in the win last night. We said over and over 10 got the rebound AGAIN. Crazy good nose for the bball. Our group could learn from him.

I've been quietly observing my cats as of late.  Flashes of brilliance via teamwork (ENTIRE first quarter last nite vs Stratford was pretty close to perfect for them for example), then divisiveness late in the game resulting in losses.  That's all I'm saying, and good luck tonight vs Clarksville Academy.