Playoffs in 3A/4A question

tistheseason

So in this class what does it take to get in the playoffs?  I know this is a confusing question so let me explain.  Central and Hixson are 4A while Tyner is 3A and maybe Howard.  Not sure of East Ridge or Brainerd.  So is it the best record in the 6AA class or per class..3A or 4A?  Or is it overall records?  Records against teams in this district?  Very confusing for me.  And I'm speaking of the 6AA district in Chattanooga.  Thanks.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

T$$AA has 18 points of reference from record to strength of sched to opponents records to opponents classification, etc... You will know much more next week when this playoff rankings comes out.

So are you saying that this year the T$$AA is using a strength of schedule rubric.  I hope so!  I have a great example of why this is needed.  Last year McMinn Central strength of schedule was so much tougher than Sweetwater.  Sweetwater played 3 (2A) schools that were not that good.  MC played a 9-1 (6A) team, and over 60% of the teams they played had winning records.  Sweetwater opp. win/loss record was below 40%.  MC beat Sweetwater head-to-head by a decent margin.  Sweetwaters overall record was 6-4 while MC overall record was 5-5.  They tied in the district standings.  MCentral got the pleasure of being last in their quad, while Sweetwater had an 8 or 9 seed, when it was evident that MCentral was a better team.  Because of Sweetwaters weaker schedule, they recieved the better quad placement leaving me SMH.

I believe it is still 1st and 2nd place in the district are automatically in, regardless of 3A or 4A. The remainder of the field for each (3A and 4A) playoff bracket is filled based on the 18 point ranking system.

So for district 6AA, if Hixson(4A) finishes #1 and East Ridge (4A) finishes #2, Tyner would have to get a "wildcard" playoff spot into the 3A playoffs based on the 18 point rankings.

After the 32 playoff teams are determined, the quads are created (based on geography???), then the 8 teams in each Quad are seeded. I think district champs are seeded 1st, then runner ups, then wildcards.

I believe it is still 1st and 2nd place in the district are automatically in, regardless of 3A or 4A. The remainder of the field for each (3A and 4A) playoff bracket is filled based on the 18 point ranking system.

So for district 6AA, if Hixson(4A) finishes #1 and East Ridge (4A) finishes #2, Tyner would have to get a "wildcard" playoff spot into the 3A playoffs based on the 18 point rankings.

After the 32 playoff teams are determined, the quads are created (based on geography???), then the 8 teams in each Quad are seeded. I think district champs are seeded 1st, then runner ups, then wildcards.

It is confusing. So CM, if MCentral wins out and finishes 3rd in the district, they will be 2nd from our district because Seq. moves up to 4A quad?

And if Tyner(3A) wins out, we will finish #2. If a 4A school(E.Ridge, or Central) gets #3, they could get a "wildcard". (Red Bank, Howard and Brainerd are the other 3A schools).

It is confusing. So CM, if MCentral wins out and finishes 3rd in the district, they will be 2nd from our district because Seq. moves up to 4A quad?

No...district 1st & 2nd is determined first...then teams split (3a & 4a) for the playoffs. In your scenario...MC would have to make playoffs as a wild card selection.

No...district 1st & 2nd is determined first...then teams split (3a & 4a) for the playoffs. In your scenario...MC would have to make playoffs as a wild card selection.

This is correct. It's 1st and 2nd are automatics, into their playoff bracket (3A or 4A). In 3AA, if Polk finished #1 and Central finished #2, Sequoyah would rely on a wildcard.

And TynerRamFAn, I didn't mean to slight Tyner, I think it's more likely that they do finish 2nd, and East Ridge, Central, Howard, Red Bank, and Brainerd would all have to get in by wildcard, determined by the 18 point ranking system.

This is correct. It's 1st and 2nd are automatics, into their playoff bracket (3A or 4A). In 3AA, if Polk finished #1 and Central finished #2, Sequoyah would rely on a wildcard.

And TynerRamFAn, I didn't mean to slight Tyner, I think it's more likely that they do finish 2nd, and East Ridge, Central, Howard, Red Bank, and Brainerd would all have to get in by wildcard, determined by the 18 point ranking system.

So if MCentral wins out they will be #2 in the 3A quad.  If Polk beats Seq. they will be #1 in the quad.  Where does that put Seq. in 4A?

So if MCentral wins out they will be #2 in the 3A quad.  If Polk beats Seq. they will be #1 in the quad.  Where does that put Seq. in 4A?

It's not about 3A and 4A during the regular season. Central cannot finish above Sequoyah in the district standings. The best y'all can do is 3rd in the district (unless Polk loses all three remaining distirct games).

so for the sake of arguement lets say district 5AA ends like this (since I'm a Polk fan)

1. Polk, 2. Seq, 3. Central.

Polk gets an automatic into the 3A playoffs, Sequoyah gets an auto into the 4A playoffs, and Central hopes for a wildcard into the 3A playoffs..(but 6-4 usually gets you in).

So this is how quad 2 for 3A playoffs could look.

1. Alcoa (4AA champ)

2. Polk (5AA champ)

3. Notre Dame (7AA runner up)

4. Tyner (6AA runner up)

5. McMin Central (wildcard at 6-4)

so on, with 3 more wildcards..

Looking at the historical quad 2 area, the 3A group is relatively weak compared to years past... Loudon, (sorry I forgot Loudon is 4A now) Kingston, Sweetwater ussually get in. And the shocker... CAK, while not weak,, may miss the playoffs because they look to be finishing at least 3rd in district 4 and may end up 5-5 due to their schedule. Quad 2 usually starts in district 4 and dips into district 6, sometimes 7. I think this season, if TSSAA follows their history of quad creation, quad 2 may get a district 8 team.... Upperman???

Of course it all starts with the number of qualifiers from district 1, 2, and 3. Too few and district 4 goes to quad 1. Too many and some of them come into quad 2 and push others west

Gerry Bertier will be posting preliminary quads after this friday. I think this will be a very interesting playoff season for 3A

Edited by Charlie Murphy