Sycamore (1-4) @ Cheatham (1-4)

carefulwhatuwishfor

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sycamore is the best 1-4 team in the state.  Three of those four losses know that they played a very good team and Smyrna knew it for the first half until the 6A depth came out and it was just too much.... (of everything).  They will be ready Friday night and will show up with the same intensity that they have played each game so far this season.  Sycamore takes the first step in their long journey and wins this game.

Sycamore still plays Harpeth, White House-Heritage, David Lipscomb, and Greenbrier. I think they are good enough to go 2-2 in that stretch. They'll beat Cheatham. The Cubs would be 0-5 if not for Creek Wood's being totally depleted way back in Week One. I just don't see them winning another game this year. I'd be shocked if either team even sniffs the playoffs this postseason.

I like the mentality of Sycamore's schedule if we were going to the playoffs like they did in the old days with the top 4 in the district making it in.  But we ain't getting to the playoffs like that these days.  Being the best 1-4 team in 4A is little consolation if they don't make it into the playoffs when by all accounts they are good enough to be there.  I questioned Harpeth for scheduling Fairview and Jo Byrns for out of district when we went to this format.  It knocked them out once or twice in the last 5 or 6 years. 

I think Sycamore wins this one by 3 or 4 touchdowns.

First I would like to say that I truly miss this district, being from Montgomery Central, and I remember the rivalry's and the heart within this district.

With that said, I've gotten a chance to see both teams play, and I would tend to agree with Clancy, in that this Sycamore team's record is deceiving as "all get out". Sycamore should win this game, convincingly. And KS, since when is it ever a bad idea to schedule tough out of district play? I think they'll be better for it, and kudos to their coaching staff for chanllenging their kids this way. Not many coaches have the stones to schedule that tough in fear of messiing up their head coaching record.

To my knowledge, Sycamore needs to win out in district to make the playoffs. That's Cheatham, Heritage, Harpeth, and Greenbrier. I think Sycamore takes care of business with the other games, and it comes down to Greenbrier @ Sycamore to get in the playoffs for each team.

Just my opinion

First I would like to say that I truly miss this district, being from Montgomery Central, and I remember the rivalry's and the heart within this district.

With that said, I've gotten a chance to see both teams play, and I would tend to agree with Clancy, in that this Sycamore team's record is deceiving as "all get out". Sycamore should win this game, convincingly. And KS, since when is it ever a bad idea to schedule tough out of district play? I think they'll be better for it, and kudos to their coaching staff for chanllenging their kids this way. Not many coaches have the stones to schedule that tough in fear of messiing up their head coaching record.

To my knowledge, Sycamore needs to win out in district to make the playoffs. That's Cheatham, Heritage, Harpeth, and Greenbrier. I think Sycamore takes care of business with the other games, and it comes down to Greenbrier @ Sycamore to get in the playoffs for each team.

Just my opinion

3 wins and a good SOS usually gets you in the playoffs, 4 wins is almost automatic.

I hate that CC has fallen so far this year. Just goes to show you how administrators and politicians can kill a football program (according to my Cheatham County friends).

When the teams are listed 1 thru 32 on the TSSAA website for playoff seeding and the 20 some odd tie breakers are worked out, all of the teams with 10 wins are the first ones to make it in.  Then the teams with 9 wins, then 8, then 7 and so on.  If the strength of schedule ever comes into play, it's after # of W's.  Simple math.  Then the number of wins against teams that won 50% of their games and wins against teams from higher classifications come into play. AFTER number of W's which is the very first criteria.  That's for getting in.

You have to get into the playoffs before those tough losses to really good teams ever benefit your team.  It's a double edged sword the way we do it now.  It's the reason that some of the really good teams have to schedule games out of state or why some of the weaker sisters will play 'games for pay'.

In the old days you could schedule Alcoa, Maryville and Riverdale out of conference and if you finished in the top 4 in your region according to the standings amongst your peer, you're in.  Scheduling was easier then and you didn't penalize your team for playing tough teams.  Now......you do.  It's not rocket science.  If a team with 3 wins gets in, it is because they have a stronger schedule than every other team with 3 wins, but make no mistake about it, EVERY team with 4 wins is in before they are not to mention the ones with 5 or greater.

Edited by ksgovols

One thing they could do is not make W's the end all.  There are computer rankings that are pretty dang accurate by the end of the season that tells you where everybody ranks and it has to do with strength of opponent's opponents.  TSSAA doesn't want to open that can of worms or put any subjectiveness into it.

The bottom line is there's not a good way.  In the old days teams with 2 or 3 wins got in regularly because the region was weak and 5th and 6th place teams in stronger regions were left out.  Still, if the goal is to make it to the playoffs you have to figure out the equation that helps your team recognize that goal.

One thing they could do is not make W's the end all.  There are computer rankings that are pretty dang accurate by the end of the season that tells you where everybody ranks and it has to do with strength of opponent's opponents.  TSSAA doesn't want to open that can of worms or put any subjectiveness into it.

The bottom line is there's not a good way.  In the old days teams with 2 or 3 wins got in regularly because the region was weak and 5th and 6th place teams in stronger regions were left out.  Still, if the goal is to make it to the playoffs you have to figure out the equation that helps your team recognize that goal.

So I guess the only answer is for either team to just go ahead and win out...........                      One game at a time, right?