Belfry (KY) @ CAK

ATLCat

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's not a TSSAA rule then it seems harsh to me for CAK coach to suspend a kid like this. I can't imagine it helps attract multi-sport athletes to your school when they hear this.

The coach didn't suspend the player; he told him he had lost his starting job for the remainder of the season.  The player came to practice for a couple of days and ran scout team offense, then quit the team.

To demote the starter to scout team QB still seems harsh to me. What constitutes a violation of the â€˜In Season Practice Policy’ player contract? So he obviously practiced some aspect of another sport during football season. If it didn't interfere with anything related to football practice or meetings, so what. This situation doesn't pass the smell test to me. There has to be more to this story.

Obviously I have no inside info to this situation, but as you might be able to tell by my username, I went to Webb and we had several guys who played multiple sports who worked on aspects of that other sport during football season without any problem. Maybe Webb is an exception in this area and the majority of other schools in the area have similar policies to CAK. I hate it for the kid.

To demote the starter to scout team QB still seems harsh to me. What constitutes a violation of the â€˜In Season Practice Policy’ player contract? So he obviously practiced some aspect of another sport during football season. If it didn't interfere with anything related to football practice or meetings, so what. This situation doesn't pass the smell test to me. There has to be more to this story.

Obviously I have no inside info to this situation, but as you might be able to tell by my username, I went to Webb and we had several guys who played multiple sports who worked on aspects of that other sport during football season without any problem. Maybe Webb is an exception in this area and the majority of other schools in the area have similar policies to CAK. I hate it for the kid.

I am familiar with the details of this situation but don't feel comfortable disclosing those details in this forum.  I'm sorry if you think this doesn't pass the smell test, but I can assure you that there was a clear and ongoing violation of the school's "in season sport" policy and the "player contract" that every player signs acknowledging their understanding of it.  Don't feel too sorry for the kid; while it might seem harsh to you since you're unfamiliar with the details, the circumstances make it pretty clear his heart was with baseball and not football.  It's also quite possible his lack of focus on football was affecting his play on the field.

I'm not familiar at all with Webb's policies and rules about multi-sport players when one of their sports is in season.  However, I suspect that, for example, if #6 still played basketball, the Webb football coach would not like it at all if he was engaging in workouts or scrimmages with the basketball team while football season was still going on.

Certainly yield to your knowledge of the situation. Your explanation clears things up for me.

I guess it would all depend on the degree of participation in the out of season sport. If it is a scrimmage or team workout in another sport, then yes, I would expect Webb's coach wouldn't like it. However, if it's a individual training or teaching session I don't believe it would be an issue. For example, getting a hitting lesson.

Final

Belfry 27

CAK 20

Great game Warriors! Your team played with a ton of heart!

Wish you could have seen Belfry at full strength but this game was invaluable for the experience our guys got against a darn fine football team. That Freshman QB will be special!

Absolutely nothing but reports of CAK being absolutely first class and one of the most hospitable hosts Belfry has ever played at. After the whole KHSAA controversy with handshakes for both teams to pray together was an awesome sight. Really look forward to hosting you guys next year to return the favor. You have a very young team and have some great days ahead over the next couple years.

Thanks for this classy post  :thumb:.  Belfry was certainly the better team and deserved the victory, but I was happy with the fight that the Warriors put up despite being outmanned. I agree that the freshman QB has a bright future. I enjoyed a couple of very nice conversations with the Belfry fans and was impressed with the number of fans that made the 4 hour drive.  We are looking forward to coming up to KY next year.  I know what you mean about not being full strength but you were still able to win and showed you have a good team.  Likewise, I wish you could have seen the teams we have put on the field the past several years.  No disrespect to this years team, but we have been at a completely different level in years past, but now we are definitely in rebuilding mode. Regardless of all that, it was still an entertaining game.  Good luck to your team the rest of the way, hope you win state!

That's a shame the kid was demoted and even worse that he quit, but the coach for the other sport should have told him not to workout.  Does the baseball coach allow the baseball players to attend spring practice with football during the middle of their season?  There should be a some courtesy.  Now, I'm not implying that it was baseball, just giving an example.

I understand there are many Athletes on the baseball team who choose or are encouraged not to play football.They would aid the football team big time.Wait til girls basketball season.A star has dedicated herself to volleyball.I am sure she will change her mind once the hoops season starts and not long after regain her spot starting on the basketball team.Displacing one of the ladies who did dedicate herself to basketball.I am sure that will be good for team harmony