why are cpa players going to mid majors when internet sec,acc offers

chickhot2

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Blackwell could end up doing pretty well at a major school, but it's not a lock by any means. He has more high school years ahead of him but he's not a "can't miss" prospect at this stage. When I watched Poythress in high school, I figured he was a can't miss player and just looked like a guy who would play in the NBA. When CPA and Ensworth played Huntsville, AL this summer, you could tell that Josh Langford (class of 2016) was on a different (higher) level. I was interested to see how the ranked guys like Blackwell, Fleming would stack up - and they didn't, frankly.

• 2 weeks later...

Vandy offered. Took to long and got other players. Can't wait for ever.

Hard to believe that. Scouting services in most cases do not call schools and ask if a kid has a legit offer.  Schools will not call a kid and say "stop saying we offered you".  When people see a list of offers most sites have posted one must remember that those schools listed are not guaranteed to be legit "offers".  Sometimes those "ghost offers" are posted to generate buzz.  In the long run, 95% of kids end up where they are suppose to be. 

Hard to believe that. Scouting services in most cases do not call schools and ask if a kid has a legit offer.  Schools will not call a kid and say "stop saying we offered you".  When people see a list of offers most sites have posted one must remember that those schools listed are not guaranteed to be legit "offers".  Sometimes those "ghost offers" are posted to generate buzz.  In the long run, 95% of kids end up where they are suppose to be. 

Some very good points.  There is plenty of gamemanship, showmanship and image over substance when it comes to college recruiting. 

This is very correct. Both Bonds and Allsmiller are going to play at a level where they have a chance to be successful. 

Allsmiller has nowhere near the athleticism needed to guard anyone in the SEC. He is an excellent shooter and will be able to help GA Southern off the bench. Nothing wrong with that.

Bonds is undersized and a set-shooter. His skill set will be fine at Liberty, but not the SEC. Again, nothing wrong with that.

The problem lies in the propaganda machine that likes to say that so and so is getting Major college looks when they are more like a "glance" than a "look". This makes an impression on young teens who all think they are destined for the NBA. Preying on their emotions rather than the cold hard truth.

I remember how Craig Bradshaw was "destined for Vandy" when he came to CPA. Instead he ended up right where he needed to be at Belmont. He goes to Belmont whether he plays at Cpa OR Greenbrier. That is where is skill-set is best suited. No need to trump him into something he is/was not. And yet..........................

Blackwell has a chance to be a very good........or a decent D1 player. How hard he works on his weaknesses will determine that, not how many twitters a high school coach sends out.

If Johnny Jones and Kevin Stallings keep offering some of these lower tier guys they will be the next Buzz Petersons in the SEC,  aka looking for another job.

Vandy offered. Took to long and got other players. Can't wait for ever.

Offers get withdrawn all the time. When they do, no one puts that information out to the public. Sometimes the college coach will tell the player the offer is withdrawn and sometimes they won't and let the player figure it out. Sometimes they will give out multiple offers for 1 position and give it to the first one that commits. 

I think when you see someone promoting a player's offers, it would not be unusual for the offer list to be inflated or to include some ghost offers. I wouldn't limit this set of circumstances to Maddux. Without naming names, I think there are a couple of other higher profile Nashville area players whose offer lists are not what they are said to be. We'll find out when the rubber meets the road.