DII-AA Rankings: Week 8

WesVLT

Three weeks remain until the all-inclusive postseason, and a parity-filled DII-AA field is hard to predict and harder to rank. 

1) Ensworth

This one's easy. The Tigers squeaked past Giles County last night, only managing to put up 21 points by the halfway mark of the first quarter. Thankfully for concerned fans, Ricky Bowers' team held on for a 48-7 win. Ensworth closes the DII slate with trips to Baylor and Brentwood Academy. Wins over those opponents would give the Tigers their second straight undefeated campaign.

2) MBA

The Big Red held on against Father Ryan, snatching a victory from their historic rival in a seesaw battle. The hard-earned win was MBA's 20th straight in the series and the closest margin over the Irish in that stretch. A bye week awaits, with games against Pope John Paul and McCallie closing out the regular season.

3) Brentwood Academy

The Eagles' 39-16 win over McCallie puts them in the third spot. Turnovers and penalties kept BA's halftime lead to seven, but Cody White's team outscored the Blue Tornado 22-6 in the third quarter to finish the job. Games against Baylor and Ensworth will test BA's mettle and determine the team's playoff seed.

4) Father Ryan

Ryan's excruciating loss to MBA proved yet again that the Irish are an improved bunch. Once again, it was hard to decide whether Ryan should take the No. 3 spot ahead of Brentwood Academy, whom it beat 24-20 earlier this year. In my opinion, the Eagles are a more well-rounded team and would win the majority of the meetings between the squads. I can certainly understand others' inclination to rank Ryan ahead of BA, given their on-field result. We'll learn more when the Irish end the season with Baylor and McCallie. Next week's game against JPII may not tell us much.

5) Baylor

The Red Raiders fell hard to 6A power Oakland 31-7 Friday. Baylor scored on its opening drive but were unable to summon any further points against a Patriots team that is expected to contend for a state title. If the Raiders are to beat BA, Ensworth and Father Ryan, they will need to reestablish the offensive rhythm that has them averaging 43 points in their five victories.

6) Memphis University School

The Owls enjoyed a bye week following their route of Christian Brothers. MUS, which hasn't allowed an opponent to score double digits in any of its last four games, will visit struggling St. Benedict this week. 

7) McCallie

Ralph Potter's team is dealing with the consequences of a brutal schedule. The Blue Tornado hung with BA for a half Friday before succumbing to the Eagles' no-huddle offensive attack. The tired team has lost its last five games to opponents with a combined record of 27-6. The road doesn't get easier -- after a bye week, the Tornado host Father Ryan and MBA. This team would have a winning record if it didn't play one of the toughest schedules in the state.

8) Christian Brothers

The Brothers rested Friday after a rough loss to MUS the week before. Next up is a showdown with Briarcrest that will likely determine the No. 2 seed in the West. The 3-4 Purple Wave haven't endured a losing season since 2004, but they'll be favored in each of their final three games.

9) Briarcrest

A bye week allowed the Saints to prepare for an important game against Christian Brothers, will will probably decide whether they get a first-round playoff bye. Briarcrest hasn't beaten the Brothers since 2008 and has lost seven of the last eight in the series.

10) Pope John Paul

JPII was another of the four DII teams that enjoyed a bye week. Thursday, a visit from Father Ryan will give the Knights some local TV exposure. Unfortunately for Jerry Joslin's squad, the public may not love what it sees -- JPII has scored two total touchdowns in four league contests.

11) St. Benedict

The 1-6 Eagles lost 33-15 to Memphis Central Friday to up their losing streak to four. With games against MUS and Christian Brothers looming, this may not be the year St. Benedict breaks its two-year league losing skid.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good write up.

Division two football would be a lot more interesting if Ensworth didn't have a monopoly over wins

I am not a big Ensworth fan but what do you want them to do?  Should they stop working hard and allow the other D2 teams an opportunity to catch them?  IMO, Ensworth has done what they should do and that is win.  Now it's the responsibility of all the schools in Tennessee to elevate there programs to the level of Ensworth which will make high school football in Tennessee better.

I am not a big Ensworth fan but what do you want them to do?  Should they stop working hard and allow the other D2 teams an opportunity to catch them?  IMO, Ensworth has done what they should do and that is win.  Now it's the responsibility of all the schools in Tennessee to elevate there programs to the level of Ensworth which will make high school football in Tennessee better.

Ditto....The University of Ensworth has set the standard. If you can't stand the heat go to DII-A like the BGA wildcats.

IDK. Ensworth has had a great few years run but dont you think they will come down to earth sometime. There have been a few teams ( MUS, BA, MBA ) who have had similar runs with perfect or near perfect back to back seasons. Sure, to lose only one game in almost 3 years is impressive. The most recent in my memory is the 08-09 MUS team. They were as impressive as any football team I have seen outside of the 2011 Trinity (ky) team. I know this is not relevant but if the 08,09 MUS teams were around in 2012 and 2013, I am not so sure we would not be talking about them in the same light at this moment. Ensworth is great, they are dominant at the moment, but for anyone to convince me they will not go into a cycle like we all do...I am not buying it. I know, maybe its different this time and someone will come along and explain that to me....but for now history is on my side.

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

IDK. Ensworth has had a great few years run but dont you think they will come down to earth sometime. There have been a few teams ( MUS, BA, MBA ) who have had similar runs with perfect or near perfect back to back seasons. Sure, to lose only one game in almost 3 years is impressive. The most recent in my memory is the 08-09 MUS team. They were as impressive as any football team I have seen outside of the 2011 Trinity (ky) team. I know this is not relevant but if the 08,09 MUS teams were around in 2012 and 2013, I am not so sure we would not be talking about them in the same light at this moment. Ensworth is great, they are dominant at the moment, but for anyone to convince me they will not go into a cycle like we all do...I am not buying it. I know, maybe its different this time and someone will come along and explain that to me....but for now history is on my side.

What is most remarkable to me is that Ensworth has made this run without a great QB.  Bowers was extremely capable and efficient but not a game breaking threat like Brunetti who could beat you with his arm or his legs.  Of course they did have such a threat in Elder....

Just for the record since I think few if any outside Memphis know the following.

CBHS has a outstanding QB named Ruddick.  He is arguably their best player.  He missed several games.  Without him, the Bros beat White Station but lost to a Desoto Central MS team that I'm sure they would have beaten had he played.  He is a "dual threat" QB, a quick and speedy runner.  He did not start but did play against MUS but was far less than 100%.  It was obvious that he would not/could not run the ball, so MUS keyed on their passing game.  CBHS also lost to a decent Southhaven MS team in OT.  A missed extra point by CBHS allowed the OT - not to mention a punter who decided to run rather than kick and got smacked.  They are still a #8 team but not as "mediocre" as you might think IF they are healthy.

MUS started the season with 2 inexperienced not particularly athletic senior QBs who didn't have a varsity start between them and not much playing time either outside JV.  They have developed into capable QBs who have surprised me with making few mistakes for their level of experience.  However, they are not close to the level MUS has had with their better teams.

MUS started the year focusing too much IMO on the running game and Darien Bradburn.  He was injured in the first half of the Liberty Tech game.  MUS was forced to change their offense with Colton Neel as the running focus. They beat S Panola the next week.  And so on.  Bradburn returned for the CBHS game but was re-injured on the very first play from scrimmage!  Without him, I think the better D2 teams can key on and shut down Neel.  MUS needs him healthy for the playoffs.  They won't need him the next 3 weeks so maybe he can get well.

I think MUS is capable of beating any team except Ensworth but I would probably not bet on them against any team in the top 7 except maybe McCallie.  As much as I would like to have a chance for revenge against BA, I think they would be the most difficult team to beat and hope NOT to see them again in the quarterfinals, assuming that they do not finish 2nd behind EHS.  Finish 3rd or 5th.  Please

As already noted, they have too much athleticism and present the worst "match-up" problems for MUS.  BA has several players for whom MUS probably doesn't have an "answer."  But you never know.  I thought Jalen R would beat us last year and he didn't.

Edited by owlbooster

i sat down to walk through possible matchups but it gave me a headache after looking at the first schedule ...

Just for the record since I think few if any outside Memphis know the following.

CBHS has a outstanding QB named Ruddick.  He is arguably their best player.  He missed several games.  Without him, the Bros beat White Station but lost to a Desoto Central MS team that I'm sure they would have beaten had he played.  He is a "dual threat" QB, a quick and speedy runner.  He did not start but did play against MUS but was far less than 100%.  It was obvious that he would not/could not run the ball, so MUS keyed on their passing game.  CBHS also lost to a decent Southhaven MS team in OT.  A missed extra point by CBHS allowed the OT - not to mention a punter who decided to run rather than kick and got smacked.  They are still a #8 team but not as "mediocre" as you might think IF they are healthy.

MUS started the season with 2 inexperienced not particularly athletic senior QBs who didn't have a varsity start between them and not much playing time either outside JV.  They have developed into capable QBs who have surprised me with making few mistakes for their level of experience.  However, they are not close to the level MUS has had with their better teams.

MUS started the year focusing too much IMO on the running game and Darien Bradburn.  He was injured in the first half of the Liberty Tech game.  MUS was forced to change their offense with Colton Neel as the running focus. They beat S Panola the next week.  And so on.  Bradburn returned for the CBHS game but was re-injured on the very first play from scrimmage!  Without him, I think the better D2 teams can key on and shut down Neel.  MUS needs him healthy for the playoffs.  They won't need him the next 3 weeks so maybe he can get well.

I think MUS is capable of beating any team except Ensworth but I would probably not bet on them against any team in the top 7 except maybe McCallie.  As much as I would like to have a chance for revenge against BA, I think they would be the most difficult team to beat and hope NOT to see them again in the quarterfinals, assuming that they do not finish 2nd behind EHS.  Finish 3rd or 5th.  Please

As already noted, they have too much athleticism and present the worst "match-up" problems for MUS.  BA has several players for whom MUS probably doesn't have an "answer."  But you never know.  I thought Jalen R would beat us last year and he didn't.