Riverdale could finish 3rd and not make Playoffs.

cooner25

Well you cant have it both ways, for years this district complained that they deserved more than 4 teams in the play-offs, which i agree, it is one if not the toughest district in the state top to bottom. There is an argument for both, does district matter or is the overall season the most important? Tough question! Injuries happen, some teams get better at the end of the year, some peak to soon. does head to head matter, as confusing as this system is, everyone plays by the same rules and understands that your schedule is very important and every game counts, even your opponents schedule matters. I am sure that when Cane Ridge and Bradley scheduled Riverdale, both teams thought it would help them win or lose. who would have thought it actually could hurt them, because Riverdale is not .500. Every team knows wins are most important, but playing teams that will finish above .500 is the first tie breaker in this system.

Well you cant have it both ways, for years this district complained that they deserved more than 4 teams in the play-offs, which i agree, it is one if not the toughest district in the state top to bottom. There is an argument for both, does district matter or is the overall season the most important? Tough question! Injuries happen, some teams get better at the end of the year, some peak to soon. does head to head matter, as confusing as this system is, everyone plays by the same rules and understands that your schedule is very important and every game counts, even your opponents schedule matters. I am sure that when Cane Ridge and Bradley scheduled Riverdale, both teams thought it would help them win or lose. who would have thought it actually could hurt them, because Riverdale is not .500. Every team knows wins are most important, but playing teams that will finish above .500 is the first tie breaker in this system.

Agreed. I think this playoff system is just a couple of tweaks from being a pretty good system..............

Agreed. I think this playoff system is just a couple of tweaks from being a pretty good system..............

Eric, when they came up with this system, I offered them several 'tweaks' - even offered to give them an app I wrote to do the 'tweaking' -

For a win:  100 + #wins of opponent

For a win:  20*class difference (6A, 5A, 4A, 3A, 2A,1A)

For all games:  5* #wins of opponent regardless of outcome

For all games: 2* #wins of opponent regardless of outcome if same class or higher

Currently the only time your opponents come into play is for tie-breaking purposes only.  A 7-3 team will always get in over a 6-4 team if neither team finishes first or second in their district.   So always try to schedule WINS.  Yes, Cane Ridge and Bradley may not be viewed as perennial 'powers', but Cane Ridge (5-4) could be McGavock (5-4) and have a shot at the post-season.Bradley Central (5-4) is playing East Hamilton (7-2) with post-season in mind.   Riverdale also played East Hamilton (7-2) and Hendersonville (7-2). So all four out-of district games were against teams currently over .500 and possibly in the post-season.  

Instead, Riverdale (or any 6A school) could have (with no penalty or detriment under the current system) could have scheduled a Copper Basin, a Greenfield, a Cannon County and a MTCS or Mt Juliet Christian Academy or (name any other A or AA school) and gone 8-2 or 7-3 and be in the post-season.

In high school sports, Non-District games should NEVER be used to determine post-season berths.  I said this when Riverdale was going 10-0 and I say this now and I will say this 20 years from now.   

Eric, when they came up with this system, I offered them several 'tweaks' - even offered to give them an app I wrote to do the 'tweaking' -

For a win:  100 + #wins of opponent

For a win:  20*class difference (6A, 5A, 4A, 3A, 2A,1A)

For all games:  5* #wins of opponent regardless of outcome

For all games: 2* #wins of opponent regardless of outcome if same class or higher

Currently the only time your opponents come into play is for tie-breaking purposes only.  A 7-3 team will always get in over a 6-4 team if neither team finishes first or second in their district.   So always try to schedule WINS.  Yes, Cane Ridge and Bradley may not be viewed as perennial 'powers', but Cane Ridge (5-4) could be McGavock (5-4) and have a shot at the post-season.Bradley Central (5-4) is playing East Hamilton (7-2) with post-season in mind.   Riverdale also played East Hamilton (7-2) and Hendersonville (7-2). So all four out-of district games were against teams currently over .500 and possibly in the post-season.  

Instead, Riverdale (or any 6A school) could have (with no penalty or detriment under the current system) could have scheduled a Copper Basin, a Greenfield, a Cannon County and a MTCS or Mt Juliet Christian Academy or (name any other A or AA school) and gone 8-2 or 7-3 and be in the post-season.

In high school sports, Non-District games should NEVER be used to determine post-season berths.  I said this when Riverdale was going 10-0 and I say this now and I will say this 20 years from now.   

David what you came up with is both logical and makes sense.  Unfortunately the playoffs have never been, and never will be about getting the best out of Tn football.

Football IS the cash cow that supports the T$$AA.  As such they are going to milk it for all its worth.

Does ANY other sport even cover their expenses?  I have NEVER seen the T$$AA answer that flat out.

David what you came up with is both logical and makes sense.  Unfortunately the playoffs have never been, and never will be about getting the best out of Tn football.

Football IS the cash cow that supports the T$$AA.  As such they are going to milk it for all its worth.

Does ANY other sport even cover their expenses?  I have NEVER seen the T$$AA answer that flat out.

Cha ching! :thumb: