Oak Ridge 2014

OR nole

Has football already started workouts for spring? I drive through Oak Ridge occasionally, and one day this week I saw a huge group of kids out on the track running. I couldn't tell who it was, but there were a lot of them. Maybe it was track, but it seems early for track or football.

Soccer conditioning.

I did see the soccer team out in the practice field nearest the tennis courts. It looked like they had 30-40 boys. The other group was on the track, and, now that I think about it, I think I saw girls out there too, so it must have been track. It was a huge group of kids, maybe 75 of them. I hope that some football players are out there.

Has football already started workouts for spring? I drive through Oak Ridge occasionally, and one day this week I saw a huge group of kids out on the track running. I couldn't tell who it was, but there were a lot of them. Maybe it was track, but it seems early for track or football.

With Gaddis being back- If you are a leader on the football team- then it is a 12 month sport. We should be ready next year Edited by bladerunner

Catswild, so being able to take it to the house every other run is what makes a back a great back? Interesting. Jerome Bettis was a pretty good back, but i never saw him have over a 50 yard run. Payton never had blazing speed, neither did Emmitt Smith, but as you know both were hall of fame backs. Not every running back is gonna have 4.4 speed to burn. Prevo at Maryville doesn't. He may take it to the house against teams with average speed, but he gets run down by teams with good speed. Not saying Jones is gonna be a great back, but what you think it takes to be great isn't really what it takes. I'd rather have a back with good speed who can make the cuts and get the tough yards who has great vision then i would a burner who doesn't (Moore last year really didn't) have those qualities aforementioned. Spencer Gulmire didn't have breakaway speed, so i guess he wasn't great in your eyes. Jones was a daggum sophomore, give the kid time to develope and prove how good he will be.

Catswild, so being able to take it to the house every other run is what makes a back a great back? Interesting. Jerome Bettis was a pretty good back, but i never saw him have over a 50 yard run. Payton never had blazing speed, neither did Emmitt Smith, but as you know both were hall of fame backs. Not every running back is gonna have 4.4 speed to burn. Prevo at Maryville doesn't. He may take it to the house against teams with average speed, but he gets run down by teams with good speed. Not saying Jones is gonna be a great back, but what you think it takes to be great isn't really what it takes. I'd rather have a back with good speed who can make the cuts and get the tough yards who has great vision then i would a burner who doesn't (Moore last year really didn't) have those qualities aforementioned. Spencer Gulmire didn't have breakaway speed, so i guess he wasn't great in your eyes. Jones was a daggum sophomore, give the kid time to develope and prove how good he will be.

E. Smith had hall of fame blockers and he had a fantastic QB and one of the best blocking full backs in the game. That is why he had success- sorry... It is in my contract to bring it up when some brings him up. And Sweet, to say that Number 1 did not have break away speed makes me think that u have not seen hm play. Edited by bladerunner

#1 had good speed. Speed where he could outrun teams with good to average speed. But, he wasn't gonna outrun a real fast kid. He did not have elite speed, but he wasn't slow either. Like Bounder said. If you think he had elite breakaway speed then you my friend are wrong. And yes, Emmitt Smith did have a hall of fame line, but with every great back comes a great offensive line. If you put our #20 behind Maryville's line do you think he would've done a little bit better this past year? Obviously. This game of football is real easy. If you block, tackle, and play smart football you are gonna win 90% of your games, so matter if you are a team with "good" or "great" athletes. Maryville has proven that numerous times through the years. When it comes down to it, if our line doesn't block )like they didn't for most of the year last year) then it doesn't matter if we have Adrian Peterson in the backfield. It all begins and ends up front.

#1 had good speed. Speed where he could outrun teams with good to average speed. But, he wasn't gonna outrun a real fast kid. He did not have elite speed, but he wasn't slow either. Like Bounder said. If you think he had elite breakaway speed then you my friend are wrong. And yes, Emmitt Smith did have a hall of fame line, but with every great back comes a great offensive line. If you put our #20 behind Maryville's line do you think he would've done a little bit better this past year? Obviously. This game of football is real easy. If you block, tackle, and play smart football you are gonna win 90% of your games, so matter if you are a team with "good" or "great" athletes. Maryville has proven that numerous times through the years. When it comes down to it, if our line doesn't block )like they didn't for most of the year last year) then it doesn't matter if we have Adrian Peterson in the backfield. It all begins and ends up front.

with every great back there is A great line? Have you ever heard of Barry Sanders? Did he have a Great line? Did Walter P?

Those are exceptions to the rule. Those kinds come around about ummm once every 50 years. And Gulmire (no matter how much you wanna believe had breakaway speed), he didn't. Fast yes. Their is a difference in being fast and having breakaway speed. Matt Moore had that kind of speed. He would've dusted Gulmire in a straight line race. And Payton actually had some very good lines from about 84 till he retired. Bortz, Thayer, Hilgenberg, Van Horne, and Jimbo Covert all were very good and most of them if not all were all-pro's in their day. I have been a Bears fan since i was 4 years old, so i know that much. Barry on the other hand made an average line look great, but how many other times has that happened in football? Not much.

Edited by SweetScience