Davidson Academy

wreagle71

The coach from last season was one of the 1st, if not the 1st interview. The guy did a pretty good job for only having 3-4 weeks to prepare in a situation that wasnt exactly great when Alexander bounced.

I cant confirm or deny that he will be offered the position, but I do know he has interviewed.

I dont have a buddy that is interviewing, but I know the committee isnt doing much talking and is tight knit that includes the AD and Headmaster, and maybe 2-3 others. There have been other interviews outside of campus, and not necessarily on a Monday-Friday.

Dont know it they can find the next Paul Wade, but they know this hire is very important for the future of the entire athletic program.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The coach from last season was one of the 1st, if not the 1st interview. The guy did a pretty good job for only having 3-4 weeks to prepare in a situation that wasnt exactly great when Alexander bounced.

I cant confirm or deny that he will be offered the position, but I do know he has interviewed.

I dont have a buddy that is interviewing, but I know the committee isnt doing much talking and is tight knit that includes the AD and Headmaster, and maybe 2-3 others. There have been other interviews outside of campus, and not necessarily on a Monday-Friday.

Dont know it they can find the next Paul Wade, but they know this hire is very important for the future of the entire athletic program.

My apologies, you have more info than I thought.  I don't think there are more people than the AD Headmaster and Principal involved, and I still find it hard to believe they are interviewing off campus.  Agreed they will not find a Paul Wade, but the new region is significantly different as well.

My apologies, you have more info than I thought.  I don't think there are more people than the AD Headmaster and Principal involved, and I still find it hard to believe they are interviewing off campus.  Agreed they will not find a Paul Wade, but the new region is significantly different as well.

While the new region is significantly different, it's that exact attitude that needs to change with the new head coach at DA.  It's not an impossible job to compete.  All of the private schools in DII-A on the east side are mostly blue collar privates with the exception of BGA and Knox Webb........all of the talent in those other schools will be cyclical and are facing the same uphill advantages that the rest of the small privates are having.  Add in the fact that Goodpasture made a terrible coaching hire that will attract no one to their school, and that PJPII can't compete in DII-AA, it could be the perfect situation/storm for a guy to come in and make a name.  

And the excuse of "Well, the region was different when Wade was there" is irrelevant.  The guy won a state title with a bunch of Old Hickory Bulldogs, mixed with some blue collar talent, and beat a team with a current NFL player on it.  

Edited by QuickStrike

While the new region is significantly different, it's that exact attitude that needs to change with the new head coach at DA.  It's not an impossible job to compete.  All of the private schools in DII-A on the east side are mostly blue collar privates with the exception of BGA and Knox Webb........all of the talent in those other schools will be cyclical and are facing the same uphill advantages that the rest of the small privates are having.  Add in the fact that Goodpasture made a terrible coaching hire that will attract no one to their school, and that PJPII can't compete in DII-AA, it could be the perfect situation/storm for a guy to come in and make a name.  

And the excuse of "Well, the region was different when Wade was there" is irrelevant.  The guy won a state title with a bunch of Old Hickory Bulldogs, mixed with some blue collar talent, and beat a team with a current NFL player on it.  

Good point regarding area privates, but I hope DA goes after someone who is committed to them and not someone trying to make a name and then move on which happens a lot.

The region is different statement is not totally insignificant because Wade had a losing record again both DCA and Friendship while he was winning gold balls at DA.  Wade is a good coach, but facts are facts. Not to mention the DIV-II A West was bad back then. ECS,now Northpoint I believe St. George, and USJ, have all  made the West much better. 

Good Luck to DA and I hope they find the right guy and not just a guy.

• 3 weeks later...

Let's all be honest and tell the truth.  Davidson Academy is like most small private schools and does not have the funds or access to funds large enough to hire a "Big Time" football coach along with high profile assistant coaches.  They will more than likely be forced to hire someone that is unproven as a head coach or a head coach that has retired from another school system.  The school is in a very difficult situation as to what they should do about a head football coach.