West @ Anderson County 3rd Rd!

MAVERICK1995

High school is not a line of scrimmage game. It's an athlete game.

Not trying to start anything , but did you think Maryville had better Athletes ? Have you not seen the teams that Maryville has beat in the past loaded with D1 Athletes ? I'm just saying I think High School Football is a whole lot more than having the better Athletes . 

Not trying to start anything , but did you think Maryville had better Athletes ? Have you not seen the teams that Maryville has beat in the past loaded with D1 Athletes ? I'm just saying I think High School Football is a whole lot more than having the better Athletes . 

Maryville is an outlier......and so is Austin East I guess lol. The large majority of high school games are won by the team with the best athletes. You obviously have to have a good coach and scheme. I mean look at how many teams in Memphis are BAD. Maryville usually has a lot of trouble with Memphis teams in the title game because those Memphis teams that get that far atleast have some semblance of coaching.

Edited by RunninRebels

Great post and right on target. Very similar points of view we have...

Maryville is an outlier......and so is Austin East I guess lol. The large majority of high school games are won by the team with the best athletes. You obviously have to have a good coach and scheme. I mean look at how many teams in Memphis are BAD. Maryville usually has a lot of trouble with Memphis teams in the title game because those Memphis teams that get that far atleast have some semblance of coaching.

SD had a lot better athlets than a lot of other teams that they played this year...I was impressed by their QB and RB. The point I'm making is in the 2nd half I saw a better line on both sides of the game and AC completely shut them down. This isn't always the case but to say that the line of scrimmage in a high school game doesn't matter is incorrect in my opinion. I am extremely impressed by West's athlets...the Mavs have to contain the edge!

West's OL is built on speed as with most veer offenses. We average about 230-260 but they can move. We trap and pull well and the backs hit the hole so fast that we do not have to maintain leverage at the point of attack but would rather punch and climb. We start 3 So.(including TE), 1 Jr. and 2 Sr.

As to our DL, we run 2 lines. One heavy and one a speed line on down and distance. We run a 3-4. Our heavy DL is all about gap control and freeing up our LBs and SS to make plays.. Our NT is over 300 and the DEs are around 230-240. Watford is a converted LB that now plays DE and he is all over the place. Tremendous athlete and strong.

To the question about Maryville, plain and simple it's Quarles. We will have a chance next year because we will be senior heavy and very talented  if Cummings could just get out of his own way.