DII-AA Semifinals

WesVLT

Rain is projected to be even more likely in Memphis.  If MUS without Neel can not establish a running game and is forced to rely on passing, it will make it even more likely that MBA wins IMO.

I don't think any team in D2AA relied more on one player than MUS did on Neel.  Pound for pound he is as good as they get.  But he'll be back next year. 

The whole situation is unfortunate and sad.  This game had the makings of a classic.  Could still be, who knows?  It's not as if MUS will have only 10 men on the field.  Maybe somebody steps up.

Edited by owlbooster

I see a low scoring game with 3-4 FGs by MUS kicker. 19-14 MUS

This is a feasible outcome if MUS plays a perfect game and MBA makes some mistakes.

I watched the MBA-McCallie game (and some others) and think if the rain is not too bad Friday MUS could hurt MBA with its passing game.  That's a big "if."   Rain also could "dampen" Wunderlich's effectiveness also.

This is a feasible outcome if MUS plays a perfect game and MBA makes some mistakes.

I watched the MBA-McCallie game (and some others) and think if the rain is not too bad Friday MUS could hurt MBA with its passing game.  That's a big "if."   Rain also could "dampen" Wunderlich's effectiveness also.

I'd give you a downvote for that pun if I hadn't made so many bad ones myself on this very site.  B)

Will be interesting to watch both games this Friday.  Can MBA overcome the MUS jinx and get back to the title game for the first time since '09?  Can MUS claim its fifth D-2AA title this century?  Can BA complete a sweep of Ensworth and claim its first title since '06?  Can Ensworth rebound and pull off the four-peat?  These four teams have claimed all but 1 d-2AA titles this century (McCallie '01 the exception).

I expect Ensworth to play it much closer to the vest against BA this time around.  Ensworth was in a lot of uncomfortable situations because of BA's dominance at the line of scrimmage…they took some shots down the field that were picked off pretty easily by BA.  My guess is that (as Wes noted) that Ricky goes old school here and tries to hammer it out with running game and defense.  Punt, play field position, and trust Jonas' defense…..  I don't expect them to have any better success on the ground than they did last time, but maybe the defense steps up and does a better job slowing CJ and company down.  Hard to beat a team like Ensworth twice, but hard for Ensworth to all of a sudden win the LOS battle with the same guys going at each other.  My pick is 24-10 BA.

MBA has such a horrible history with MUS that it's hard to predict a good outcome here.  MBA played its best game of the season (maybe the last 3-4 seasons) Friday night.  They are peaking, and balanced on offense and defense.  The MBA LB's have been the real stars of the season IMO.  But still it's at MUS where bad things happen to MBA.  Homer pick is 31-21 MBA….but I won't be surprised by a 13-6 type MUS win….

Edited by big red big blue
  • Upvote 1

If MBA does dominate MUS it will be only because Colton Neel is out. MUS at full strength would make this the best game of the weekend- it may still be if MUS D steps up. BA already dominated Ensworth so you can't say that is best game scheduled. It sounds like some may be disrespecting MUS because of weak opponents in last few weeks but they can only play who's scheduled and those games were over by halftime with the JV playing rest of game. MUS did lose badly to BA in week 1 on road but they are a drastically different team now- I think 4 QBs may have played for MUS in that one. The game that stands out to me is MBA vs MCCALLIE where MBA won 38-34. I saw the MUS vs Mccallie game and granted mccallie was w/out QB but MUS was clearly the better team. Based on Mccallie line play & size I like MUS to match up well with MBA across the front. Not to say that MUS is as big as MBA but MUS does have good size across the front. So, MUS should be able to move the ball. I see a low scoring game with 3-4 FGs by MUS kicker. 19-14 MUS

Whoever suits up, MUS just has a knack for winning these games at home…it really doesn't matter who has done what against whom at this point.  They are just always well coached and seem to find a way to win...

• Upvote 1

Really appalled no one is picking Ricky & Ensworth to pull out this one. I say 34-20 Ensworth in rainy classic.

Interesting pick. It's certainly foolish to count out Bowers and the Tigers. If BA wins, it'll be much tighter than last time.

If you told me the final score was going to be 34-20, I'd pick the Eagles. I don't think Ensworth can win a high-scoring game -- the Tigers need to play ball-control offense and can't throw the ball extremely effectively. If Ensworth wins, I'd put the score at something like 20-14.

I'm a casual DII fan of the tbig 3 teams from Nashville.  (Yes, you can actually pull for MBA, BA, and Ensworth if you don't have a dog in the fight and have friends with kids at all 3.)

I enjoy following them from a far as my kids go and play elsewhere.  But I have one question for Ensworth fans and people that follow them or play against them.  Does anyone think Ricky should give the sophomore QB a shot if Settles struggles in the passing game again this week.  Several of my friends and I think the sophomore is the better passer.  Just wondering if people that follow the program more closely than us agree?  

Honestly I think BA would be able to stop a healthy ferby. A power runner is not the type of back that could do a lot of damage to this BA defense. They are just too big , physical and have speed. I don't think anyone has had overwhelming success against BA running the ball this year .. Father Ryan May have had the best game running against BA ..If BA plays it's best I just think a team will need to run and pass to beat them ... This weather may change the game somewhat but unless Ensworth can make some plays passing I just don't know how they will win this game ..

A healthy Ferby would definitely improve Enworth's lot. Does anybody know anything and are willing to tell? EHS is the most secretive team I've ever seen in D2.