1A VS Bigger schools........

Rustynail

I have been entertained with the whole 1A vs all others discussion. I am not going to call it class envy (joke)...

I think a good way to look at it is comparing it to boxing...1A is your Oscar De , your 3A is Hopkins,4A is Roy Jones, and 5A Lennox Lewis.....all are champs and great against their competition, but you do not see Oscar's promoters and trainers talking how he can beat down Lewis in a prizefight. Can Oscar land an early punch and rock him, sure but go the distance allnight and take the punches? Nah!!!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to say it but your wrong.

First off, boxing is based on a weight classification methodology to protect the smaller fighters. No such classification exists in 1A. I have seen plenty of 300 pounders in 1A.

1A participants are there either for geographic or private/public issues. Not because that is where they could participate.

Finally, I would argue playing at 1A is more difficult just because of the playing time required. With fewer players, less substitution is possible, and a 1A 300 pounder might not come off the field.

Well I was using a metaphor with boxing. I know of several "heavy" players in smaller class...what I was comparing is depth and size of schools that make up the class, not actual weight. The assumption on your part is , well silly. Same as all basketball players under 5'6" are 1A and over 6'6" are 5A......

But using your point about the size of the team and depth, is the reason I say a 1A can not compete day in and day out with 5A. Injuries and fatigue take a toll. I do not care if it is Ezell, they can not go 8 games in 5A and come out on top. Period! I never understood why 1A fans always seem to have "little man" syndrom....

It is not every year, but there are years that 1A teams could beat most other teams in the state. The South Pittsburg state champion team from the 90's(with Eddie Moore,Pickett, and Starkey), they were absolutely the best team in the state that year. Any person who went to the state title games that year will tell you, they were the best of the best. The kids off that team that played in the East/West shrine game and the Kentucky/Tennessee high school game dominated all play. There are 1A schools right now in Tenn. that can play and beat most 4A or 5A teams. As for "envy" of another class, that is stupid. I played at a 5A school and the program wasn't any better than a lot of smaller schools.(and we went 10-1 and into the second round of the playoffs) Some of your best college recruits come out of smaller schools.

My point is that there are some 1A teams that can beat some of the 5A schools, however when you play them every week, the chance of the 1A school finishing on top is very small....This discussion is funny, it starts with a 1A blowing their horn after a good season I have never heard Riverdale talking about how they can beat a 1A or a 2A or anything else........

I understand FRAdad you will have alot of free time during the next few weeks of playoffs, so why don't you go watch some 5A ball and then determine how great the 1As are....

I am making my comments on the basis of watching 20 teams this year, all classes different regions......I have been there, I have seen it. I so not follow one school each week and see how they do each week as a fan......

Yes, Ezell or whoever could beat some of the 5A and 4A schools. Rustynails point is that 1A schools LACK THE DEPTH that a 5A/4A enjoy from the number of students attending that school. I don't care if its the South Pittsburg team from 1970 that had Billy Joe Jack, Joe Bob Cooter, and Eddie Max Ennis they wouldn't win like they did in 1A. A team that plays 13-15 players a game will not last with teams playing 28-30 players a game.

One big difference in 1a and 5a schools is a 1a school has only about 3 or 4 good athletes on the team and in 5a there are about 15 or 16. So the competition level is a lot harder in 5a then 1a. Maybe the first place team in 1a could beat the last place team in 5a. A team like ezell wouldn't even make it to the playoffs in 5a.

Three years ago CPA had five players obtain 1A scholarships. Those scholarships were to Auburn, Florida, and Memphis to name a few, not some 1AA upgrade start up. Name one 5A that has had such an achievement recently.

I have watched 5A in Tennessee and when in Ohio watched Division 1 which is the largest. Do you know who Lebron James is smart guy? Look at the opening page of CoachT and you will see his picture in the bottom left. He is a student at St. Vincent - St. Mary's High School in my hometown of Akron. St. V is the smallest classification in Ohio. Yet they play the largest schools in Ohio in football and win quite often.

Didn't Brentwood Academy regularily hand the 5A schools their heads until the TSSAA stepped in to protect you?

Classifications mean nothing. It all comes down to the focus of the school administration in either the private or public sector as to whether they want to build a powerhouse or not.

Guest cathead98

SOUTH PITT, EZELL, CLOUDLAND AND CPA AGAINST 5A SCHOULS. YOU PEOPLE ARE DREAMING. OAK RIDGE. RIVERDALE. GALATIRN. KINGSPORT DOBBINS BENEAT WOULD EAT THEM ALIVE HALFWAY THRU THE SECOND QUATER. HOOEY!!!!!!