Bradley vs Walker Valley

anotherback

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone who cares for the real FACTS:

The illegal head slam that was done on Nathan DID cause a concussion, I repeat, He has a concussion. As for him immediately getting up: he only did it on instinct. In the emergency room he told me he just wanted to lay there. He was clearly very dazed as anyone with sense could tell, even from the stands. The exam immediately after the match showed him to have very dilated pupils that reacted sluggishly to light. SIGN OF A CONCUSSION. Coach Smith acted in the best interest of Nathan and no matter what his decision was Nathan was not going to continue, I would not have let it. Sorry Ben, no Oscar. If that was what the ref said he just proves to us he is an idiot. He should have called the head butt and the very beginning of the match. On the way to the ER Nathan had trouble staying awake and said his legs were tingling. Fortunately, that subsided when we got the the ER. The pupils were still dilated.

They were normal this morning, thank God and he was able to go to school.

THESE ARE THE FACTS...I AM HIS MOM AND I KNOW MY KID. HE WOULD NOT FAKE AN INJURY.

z9A--- Please get YOUR facts straight before you slam someones kid. That show NO CLASS!

Watch the video, Cotton showed no remorse after his illegal act. A true sportsman would have taken a knee and/or checked to see how his opponent was.

GO BEARS!!!

You truly don't know the Cotton kid though. I've seen him over the years and he's a very respectful young man and would never intentionally hurt your son. I understand what you think of him being unsportsmanlike, but this was a heated and key match. With all the chaos he probably wasn't thinking about taking a knee for Nathan.

To clarify, there should be some great matches at region duals with 4 of the top 6 teams in the state in the same region. I mentioned Soddy in another thread in regards to region, definitely not counted out as a contender.

Sorry man, I looked back at your post I replied to. I thought you said this should be a great match at region, when you actually said "there should be some great matches at region" My bad, keep up the good work, you do put up a lot of good info.

Well it was interesting reading this thread talking about Ben Smith, Nathan and Cotton. I do not want any kid hurt in this sport. I was not there but heard all about it from people that were. I do like Cotton and his family I have talked to them several times. He is a good wrestler. Nathan is a good wrestler also and would not quit with out someone telling him too. Both these kids would never quit unless told too. That is why wrestling is a great sport. I hope Nathan can come back real soon and maybe they will meet again. It is just funny to me that people would think any coach would have put there kid back in there. If it was Cotton the Walker Valley coach would have done the same thing.

Wisdom is knowing whe to stop talking. These are kids that we are talking about, that is in a hard sport, where from time to time they get hurt. All these boys are friends for the most part, that would never hurt one another on purpose. The Cotton kid knows what it's like to get drop on his head at Bradley, and no one took a knee. Sometime these things just happens, and they don't need hot headed parents or coaches to cause trouble, because we can keep out of it. My goodness they are wrestlers. If eveyone would just take a step back, these boys will be just fine, and talking and kidding about what happen.

Wisdom is knowing whe to stop talking. These are kids that we are talking about, that is in a hard sport, where from time to time they get hurt. All these boys are friends for the most part, that would never hurt one another on purpose. The Cotton kid knows what it's like to get drop on his head at Bradley, and no one took a knee. Sometime these things just happens, and they don't need hot headed parents or coaches to cause trouble, because we can keep out of it. My goodness they are wrestlers. If eveyone would just take a step back, these boys will be just fine, and talking and kidding about what happen.

I completely agree. We shouldn't be bashing on Cotton or any wrestler in the sport, espically if they can't even defend themselves from harsh comments like the ones before. My goodness these are kids that just want to play the sport. Don't treat him like he meant to give Adams a concussion on purpose.

Well, z9A and others...you win. You've lured me out of my man cave. Being that you're probably a high school student or a disgruntled fan, I probably should ignore you like most. BUT, when things start to get personal here, I'll step in and defend myself or state the facts rather. As Mrs. Adams stated, Nathan does indeed have a concussion. It seems to be a mild one and it is his first, so it's not as bad as the incident appeared to be at first. He is now on the TSSAA protocol concussion re-entry program. What does that mean? It means he's out at least until he's symptom free and then he can begin light work and phase back in. He's definitely out until further notice. His doctors, our trainer, his parents, and my coaches/I will make the call on when he returns. Obviously, next Thursday's region duals would be fantastic, but not if it puts his safety and future well-being at risk. So, with that out of the way, obviously he won't be competing tomorrow. We were called "cheaters" as we (my wife, coaches, and I) exited the building based on the statement made by some fans/parents "oh, I bet he'll be in the lineup against Soddy" theory. Now, manipulating the match to win? WOW! You're right...we sent Nathan out there w/ intentions of putting ourselves in a rear standing position to be lifted up and returned just to catch ourselves on the back our head/neck and win the match that way. If that were the case, I'm the Bill Belichick of TN wrestling. That's senseless. Nathan went out there to fight...as I tell all of my wrestlers and any wrestlers that competes w/ me on the Appy Elite teams or comes to the UTC iCamps that I help run. Telling him to take a dive, coaching him through the concussion process...again...false. The only time that I told him to stay down was as soon as I came onto the mat as he was TRYING to instinctively stand up. We have it on our Hudl video system and I do tell him to stay down and then motion for the trainer at the head table. If you or anyone want to see, find me at the next BC event. It'll be on our iPad w/ me. The farthest Nathan made it up was a wobbly "crab crawl" position. As soon as I was within five feet of him, it was obvious that he was disoriented and I told him not to move and stay down. Based on the way he landed, I was personally concerned about his neck more than his head at first. When I saw that his pupils were dilated and the trainer took over, I moved away and pretty much stayed away. My HWT assistant coach, who is also a local chiropractor, stayed down on the mat w/ Nathan as the trainers assessed him. His tracking was off, eyes were dilated, and was foggy. Had it not been called illegal, we not have wrestled him either. And, with the signs and symptoms being present according the trainer, we immediately go on a minimum five day buffer period which would remove him from tomorrow's match. Now, with that specific match w/ Soddy (170 lb) being possibly winnable for us tomorrow, why would I take the win over Cotton only to rule him ineligible for Soddy. And, Soddy, by all right is a district opponent and that match carries region dual seeding criteria. Makes no sense again and would be poor coaching on my part. Plus, the upcoming 182, 195, and 220 matches against Walker were all possible wins for us. In my eyes, the 9 (or more) possible swing there doesn't affect us IF my last upperweights do their jobs. Now, that didn't happen, but I didn't have a crystal ball in my pocket at that moment to tell Nathan to take the dive. What saddens me is this: I am a coach who dedicates his life, year round to kids...and, not just his kids, to any kid that loves the sport of wrestling that changed my life. I work with any kid from any program that wants to get better that I cross paths with in the Appy Elite or UTC iCamp system. When fans and parents think your some monster or "bad for the sport" as you put it, when we're just doing our jobs (for not much $$$) and protecting our kids, defending our program/s, and trying to do the best we can w/ what we have...people like you and a few others on here...make us question why we sacrifice so much at times. But, we coach for the kids and hope that their lives will be changed b/c of this great sport and hopefully our positive influences as coaches. The wins are fun and loses are trying, but we coach to change lives as ours were changed. And, on top of that, I've probably crossed paths w/ you before and recently. We've probably smiled and nodded and/or shaken hands before. You and a few others have had ample opportunity to speak to me or ask me any question you want...yet, you hide in the crowd of critics. I'm easy to find and contact. I welcome it in a friendly manner. I'm too old, slow, and shrunken for confrontation now. But, all of this is ridiculous. Walker Valley wrestled their butts off as did mine for the most part. It was great match w/ one bleak moment. Lawrence Cotton is a great kid w/ great parents and wrestles for great coaches. I don't think he vindictively tried to hurt Nathan. At the worst, he got caught up in the moment. Things happen like that. Heck, it happened to me in the State tournament in 1998. So, I get it. This incident should not turn into an attack on kids, coaches, or programs. Once again, great job to the entire Walker Valley program, coaches, and wrestlers. Hopefully, we can make it happen again before the Traditional's come around. Best of luck tomorrow against Cleveland. GO BEARS!!!

Ben Smith 

Bradley Central Wrestling

bmsmith@bradleyschools.org

423-650-2662

P.S. And, if that's not good enough, I'm at BC most days by 6:00 AM and don't leave until 7 PM...unless it's match day. My office and wrestling building are open to public. Come by and watch a practice.

Edited by drmedulla

Like I said, Wisdom is to know when to STOP TALKING! Where the is no wood there, there is no fire. So there is no need to say anything else on the matter. Nathan and Cotton will be just fine. Nathan we are wishing you get well soon, and my God Bless with good health. Cotton keep up the good work, we know what you are made of, and may God Bless you also.

drmedulla,

Great post.  Coaches are always being blamed when a wrestler loses, excuses are made, people are blamed.   I have watched you through the years and love the way you coach your wrestlers.  You really have passion for the sport and your team.  You want to win and push your kids and wrestle the best that is out there.  It will serve you and your team well.  I applaud what you do for the sport of wrestling.  As for the match, I did not see; however, if a trainer says the wrestler has a concussion, match is over.  There is nothing a coach, parent or wrestler can say for the match to continue.  According to the posts by the mother, the wrestler showed symptoms of a concussion.  If this is true and trainer says so, the match is over.  I hate to see this but it is the way it is.  It is the same in other sports.  There is no reason to dog a coach because a wrestler has a concussion.  It does not matter if was intentional or not.  It happened and I am sure that was not the intention.  Case closed and move on. 

Coach Smith, keep coaching like you have been because it is paying off for your Bradley team.

Good luck to all for the rest of the season.

There is still plenty to wrestle for as the season really starts now.

Hoosierdad...thank you and will do.

Bearman3...6:30ish in the round gym.

z9a...the only one who keeps talking is you. I had hoped that you learned something at the service last night that you mentioned in another thread, but obviously not. I will not address you again on here. You have my contacts. So, find something better to do w/ your time as I will. I've wasted enough time and energy on you already. Have a good day and best of luck tonight.