TNT vs. TMSAA

CoachRorie

I want to add some new blood to the old Proverbial question:

"Why are schools are not participating in the TMSAA tournament?"

Is it distance?  Cost?  Tradition?  Too competitive?  Lack of competition? 

I realize that TMSAA doesn't recognize any "State Champions" in any sport.  There are other local tournaments you guys are accustomed to such as TNT and the James C Haile Tournament.  I have nothing against them, I'm sure there are some very great teams in those tournaments.  But if you want to play against teams that have won their local tournaments or placed in the top 4, then have to win against other area teams that either won or finished ontop, just to make it to the elite 8.  It only seems that any coach who wants the most competitive & proven tournament would go w/ the TMSAA tournament.  I wish we could let the winners from each tournament square off at the end of each to declare a true "Champion."

just a guess. Most middle schools do not want to pay the cost of being a member. The way TSSAA is structured favoring football, which limits what high school coaches can do with their programs, the only way to improve their program is to get into the younger kids. In todays world, if girls do not have the fundamentals under control by the 6th grade, they will never catch up. The coaches and school administrations that do not realize this are getting further behind every day. Being a TSSAA member in middle school comes with all the limitations. Not being a member the sky is the limit. There are not enough benefits for being  member, so why do it....      

• Upvote 1

I think it is the limitations of when you can start practice, have practice, play travel ball together, etc..  From my understanding, the TMSAA really limits what you can do in those areas.  This is especially tough on teams/programs in smaller rural areas / non-metro areas where choices/opportunities are limited in the off season and/or during the season for that matter. I think if you are an aggressive school/district, serious about improving your overall basketball program - it is a "year around endeavor" whether it's basketball, football, baseball, soccer, etc. Being a non-member gives you more freedom to improve - year-round.

• Upvote 1

sls and tenntwin,

Thank you, very very much for your input. I've only been coaching for 7 years and we had not always been participating in the TMSAA tournament.  But prior to it, we didn't know of any tournaments and would just stay home, season done and pick up the following season.  But now, we have been participating the last 5-6 years.  We've had our up and down years, last year being our best in the tournament finishing 2nd.

I do agree that there are a lot of limitations, such as when you can start practice, how many games you can play, etc.  But aren't they there to help protect the kids and us, as coaches?  I understand why you would want to practice year round to better improve your kids.  But at the end of the season, I like my break off and so do they.  Plus many of them play AAU and other sports.  Like I said I'm still new and I know a lot of you have coached way more games/seasons than I have. 

I'm going to do some more research and I really do appreciate your input.  So other than the limitations, anything else(that is a big deal)?  Thanks again.

As a parent, I think year round anything is counter productive and not sending the message that middle schoolers need to be sent.  Plenty of kids that didn't make any of the TMSAA championship basketball teams in middle school that my older son played on went on to be productive high school players and some of the bigger kids in middle school stayed where they were while their peers grew bigger and got better.  Particularly at the middle school level, you are doing a kid a disservice by forcing him into one sport.  Let the kids figure it out and let natural selection take it's course.  Middle school is still very much a developmental age group for the majority of the kids participating in these sports.

My youngest is in middle school now at a TMSAA school.  Their regular season basketball starts in October and will end this week or next.  They'll have tryouts in May and a summer camp and practice session.  They can play AAU all spring and the remainder of the summer if they so wish.  Same for baseball.  As soon as school ball is over, there will be a summer full of travel baseball worked around his basketball schedule and then fall baseball.  Football August through October.  The best thing I can do for him as a parent is make him put his baseball bag in the corner and pick up a basketball for a little while and vice versa.

• Upvote 1