Tri-County Seven Week #12

coachh17

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to Cloudland and Elizabethton for winning District titles by large margins. Hampton and Happy Valley are also still in the mix. Good luck to all our remaining teams as they head into Regional Tournament play. One game at a time.

Hampton played well at times and had a pretty good lead at times.  Team continues to have a hard time finding an identity.  How good is Cosby for the ones who have seen them play?  I know some of the Eliz fans have seen them play. 

Hampton played well at times and had a pretty good lead at times.  Team continues to have a hard time finding an identity.  How good is Cosby for the ones who have seen them play?  I know some of the Eliz fans have seen them play. 

Cosby could beat anyone in district 1 one night then lose to the same team the next night. I think we fit in good with yall. We probably as talented as we were last year just a little more youth on the floor this season.

In my opinion, this is the only matchup that could prevent a D1-A first round sweep in the Regionals.  I expect Cloudland, North Greene and South Greene to win their first round games easily as D2-A is weak overall.  However, Hampton will have their hands full at Cosby.  I was in attendance for both Hampton-EHS and Cosby-EHS games.  Cosby has a solid team.  They get quality play at every position.  I haven't seen the Lady Bulldogs play in a while, but most indications are they are a little erratic at times. Both teams have played tough schedules and got similar results against Elizabethton.  On a neutral floor I would say this is a toss up.  However, I would have to give Cosby a slight edge in this game because they are hosting.  Good luck to the Lady Bulldogs.  I hope they win as I am rooting for all Carter County teams to advance in the tournament (unless they are playing EHS of course).

In my opinion, this is the only matchup that could prevent a D1-A first round sweep in the Regionals.  I expect Cloudland, North Greene and South Greene to win their first round games easily as D2-A is weak overall.  However, Hampton will have their hands full at Cosby.  I was in attendance for both Hampton-EHS and Cosby-EHS games.  Cosby has a solid team.  They get quality play at every position.  I haven't seen the Lady Bulldogs play in a while, but most indications are they are a little erratic at times. Both teams have played tough schedules and got similar results against Elizabethton.  On a neutral floor I would say this is a toss up.  However, I would have to give Cosby a slight edge in this game because they are hosting.  Good luck to the Lady Bulldogs.  I hope they win as I am rooting for all Carter County teams to advance in the tournament (unless they are playing EHS of course).

No doubt  we are the only district 1 team with a chance to win. The rest of our district is really weak. Washburn and Hancock have some players but they just dont have the overall teams to compete with district 1.

Not that our distinguished Tri-Cities Basketball Officials Association supervisors would ever listen to or respond to any constructive criticism, but I do have a question regarding an official assigned to the crew that officiated the D1-AA Girls Championship game yesterday.  That is, do we not have a better candidate than the taller bald guy (I don't know his name and would likely not use it in this forum if I did) that was part of the crew that called the girls' championship game?  I watched both consolation and championship games and he was probably the weakest official I saw all day. He was definitely the weakest official assigned to the championship games.  This guy did not discriminate, but repeatedly whistled non-fouls as fouls and allowed obvious fouls to go unchecked for both teams.  I understand anyone can have a bad performance, but this is a pattern for this particular official.  The guy has been around for years and is simply mediocre at best.  The same official was part of a crew that earlier in the year allowed a girls' game to be played for almost an entire quarter with a men's ball. The guy refused to acknowledge both players and coaches that were objecting and asking that the ball be checked.  What's even worse is that he briefly stopped and examined the ball and concluded it was sufficient and forced play to continue.  Only after repeated objections did he stop the game and caucus with the other officials to determine they were using the wrong ball.  I do understand there are only so many officials to go around and the weather has wreaked havoc on the tournament schedule.  However, I did see one official call multiple games yesterday.  There were several "better" options for the girls' championship game, even if one of the others had to call two games.  While I am often critical of officials, I will go on record in offering my opinion that overall the Tri-Cities has as good (and mostly better) officials than anywhere in the state.  That doesn't mean that we don't have some duds.  Every association has them and everyone has to deal with them.  All I'm suggesting is that the supervisors grow some and refuse to use the "duds", especially in high profile games.

Edited by etownsparky