AAAA PLAYOFF PREDICTIONS

anspa

the three strongest teams in the state are in 4A -- those being Maryville, Hillsboro and Memphis-Melrose.

It would have been nice if one of these squads got to play in 3A or 5A and have a better chance of taking home a championship. But alas, these are the cards we are dealt.

Again, I don't see the dropoff in leadership this year at Hillsboro. We graduated only six kids last year and have 20 seniors taking over the helm this year. That's plenty.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF Hillsboro is helping Springfield out with more tapes to use against Overton, then I think it's only a case of "returning the favor".

The week of Hillsboro's game with Hillwood, there were rampant allegations of Hillwood furnishing to Overton the game tapes the Burros coaches gave to Hillwood. It gave Overton an extra week to prepare and that's just bush league. If this in fact happened, my summation is Hillwood knew they were no match for the Burros, so they tried to get Overton to do their dirty work.

Of course, it didn't help.

KP - If you're saying that Maryville won't be as motivated to win another state as they were 2 years ago, then you're crazy!!! Every team out there wants the championship just as much as the other teams. I think that the competition will be stiff, but it's maryville's to lose. They were expected to win last year, and they did. They are expected (by polls and fans both) to win this year, and so it's theirs to lose. I have a ton of respect for Hillsboro and I know that Maryville is beatable, but you have to be careful in making generalizations, like "they have to be tired of winning"

Maryville tired of winning? That is one angle to take i guess. But here is another. Once you have won three titles in the last four years it becomes a matter of winning the title or feeling as though your season failed. I think that Maryville actually in some ways feels that the season really starts when the playoffs start and will turn it up a notch. The time for a let down would probably be in the regular season. And i also agree that no one from Maryville thinks they are unbeatable. I certainly don't think the coaches or players do. They had wake up calls against good Central and Powell teams. And i think hillsboro is as capable as making the finals as last year. they are undefeated and that is all i need to convince me. and lets not forget last year's game was close! i won't worry about Hillsboro until december because if we play them that is when it will be. worrying about them now would only mean we may not be there in december to worry about them!Stan Trott are you a former UT player i use to see play years back? I can still remember John Ward saying, "scott to trott in the slot". If so i enjoyed watching you play for the big orange. If not you have a famous name sake somewhere.

Guest OvertonFan

I can assure you that Overton did not receive any extra tapes from anyone and that they did not have any extra time to get ready for Hillsboro. Overton plays one game at a time. Even if someone had offered extra tapes of Hillsboro, Overton would not have accepted them. This would show that they were overlooking Spring Hill, which obviously did not happen. Spring Hill was too dangerous to go ahead and start looking at the Burros. As for Overton upsetting Hillsboro in round three, Overton has to get there first, as does Hillsboro. If either team is not prepared in rounds one and two, revenge does not matter. Any team is beatable and if Overton and Hillsboro start looking ahead, they may not make it. I know Overton is not overlooking anyone, and I hope that the Burros are not either. Overton would love to try to get some revenge.

I heard somewhere that Melrose wasn't elidgible for the playoffs, but maybe I heard wrong. Both Maryville and Hillsboro will have a heck of a time getting back. No doubt 4A is the strongest this year. However, the seniors this year, and there is a pretty good number, won't let up. They know its their last shot at greatness and they know whats expected. They want to prove that they are greater than the two senior classess before them and they want to be imortalized along with the undefeated class of 1998. They still talk of that 98 team every chance they get. Well, this team wants to be talked about like that and they will stop at nothing to get that honor. Also 98 broke several MHS records, does anyone know the stats of those records and how this years squad is holding up with those records?