York, Pickett Co. boys teams banned from postseason after fight

CoachT

Its fair when not one player from PC was involved, however i do feel for the York players not involved. We weren't poking or doing nothing but cheering loudly in our gym for our team with about 18 seconds left to go. Wee Bobcats Proud and Loud. If our players were involved the ban would have held for us too. Our players weren't involved. Yorks clearly was. Not all but some. I do agree the only players involved should have been banned to be fair to York because there were some York players not involved. They shouldn't have to suffer for what their teammates did. However because our fans are loud and the player that got off the bench and sucker punched a student for clapping too loudly and they couldn't handle it, he has gotten his team banned. All videos showed we did nothing wrong but cheer on our team as we always do, therefore we had our ban overturned. I do feel like York should be allowed to play on with the exception of the York players involved. Just our 2 cents...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Repeat that is not only what your fans did. I can tell you if I was repeatedly hit in the back of the head over and over again. I would have busted that kids nose also. Everybody even those at the tssaa making the decision should put themselves in that situation and think how they would have reacted. These two teams already played earlier in Jamestown with no problems so why when they go to Byrdstown all he'll breaks loose. Seems as though pickett county can't control their fans and york can!!! Reinstate both teams or leave both teams at home!!

i seen the video tonight and yes pickett co. fans were inches away from the york bench. yes, they wer harrassing this kid and poking  and slapping him in  the head. also a empty bottle was thrown. i don't blame the kid for punching the one that did these things. 3 of the york players were punched and they fought back like anybody would do. no pickett co. players wer involved cause they wer at the other end of the gym. i say just ban the 3 york players for this year only and that's it. i blame pickett co. fans for starting this. also, administration done a poor job with security for this game as no teachers or deputys wer close by. i feel bad for the york players that was not involved.

"There were three different videos that were shown to the board and we had angles that showed every side of the gymnasium," Childress said. "Having something from every angle of the court that we were able to see played a big part in what the board did." From TSSAA

If there was any hitting of the York player by Pickett fans "with a bottle" or "slapping" it would have been seen by TSSAA on any of the three videos. Clearly it never happened. Last night the Pickett students were very positive. Every cheer was for Pickett and no cheers against the other team, like in the Clarkrange/Jackson Co. game. Pickett Co. had a huge turnout of fans and the boys took care of business.

And, "political influence"...being the smallest county in the state sure gives Pickett Co. a lot of political weight!

I believe that York Institute,being a state school, would carry much more weight.

i can tell you that the kid was poked, slapped in the back of the head and a coke bottle was thrown.i have no reason to lie i am from white co. the pickett players were not involved that's why they are still playin.so you can be proud of your players and not the fans because they started the melee.

Edited by 90warrior