Powell Panthers -- Region 2AAA Champions

mocs30

Congrats to Powell on a huge win. They outplayed my Wildcats all night and deserved that win. This game has become one of the best rivalries in East TN. Seems like every game comes down to the wire for the most part. Coach Ogan is just a fantastic coach who puts his players in the best position to win and coaches to their talents. One of the best East TN coaches ever, in my opinion. Tonight Powell was the better team, for sure. They outrebounded us, they got most all of the 50/50 balls, and lights out from the 3 point line. To make a long story short they hit their shots when they had to and we just didn't. And what can you say about Fields? I don't care about East, west, north, south and the players from whatever region, but you aren't going to find a much better PG then that kid. Has ice in his veins. Good luck against Jeff County. Yall deserved this one.

Really impressed with Powell. They laid a beatdown on my Rebels last week.

Ron they sure don't look like an intimidating team during warmups, but them boys can play some ball. Impressive team. They really should've beaten us three times this year to be honest. The thing that impresses me the most about them besides the obvious toughness and tenacity they play with, but they really know how to pass the ball around and find the open man. Broke our press a lot last night. When we turned it up they had a lot of trouble with the press, but we just couldn't sustain it. It's very hard for kids that age to sustain the tenacity we play with on the press for 4 qtrs. Their style of play just meshes well against OR's style of play. They slow it down and are patient and always find the open man.

Edited by SweetScience

Ron they sure don't look like an intimidating team during warmups, but them boys can play some ball. Impressive team. They really should've beaten us three times this year to be honest. The thing that impresses me the most about them besides the obvious toughness and tenacity they play with, but they really know how to pass the ball around and find the open man. Broke our press a lot last night. When we turned it up they had a lot of trouble with the press, but we just couldn't sustain it. It's very hard for kids that age to sustain the tenacity we play with on the press for 4 qtrs. Their style of play just meshes well against OR's style of play. They slow it down and are patient and always find the open man.

This IMO has happened to OR.

Demanding early schedule and all the travel has them worn out. Nice to do that and travel around but think it wears on the kids.

Pace of play. OR has to play up and down. Powell good in half court OR struggles. Fulton good in half court OR struggles.

They will struggle with DB if it is a half court game. Don't think OR will advance if the game is played in the half court.

OR has a solid team but not a overly talented athletic team. They are competitive against good teams but they have a difficult time imposing their will in well coached solid basketball teams. Examples being Powell and Fulton. If they do advance they will not out talent anyone in Murfreesboro. Just saying.

This IMO has happened to OR.

Demanding early schedule and all the travel has them worn out. Nice to do that and travel around but think it wears on the kids.

Pace of play. OR has to play up and down. Powell good in half court OR struggles. Fulton good in half court OR struggles.

They will struggle with DB if it is a half court game. Don't think OR will advance if the game is played in the half court.

OR has a solid team but not a overly talented athletic team. They are competitive against good teams but they have a difficult time imposing their will in well coached solid basketball teams. Examples being Powell and Fulton. If they do advance they will not out talent anyone in Murfreesboro. Just saying.

Looks like it worked out for us, redandblack. Tough loss for the Panthers tonight. I just want to congratulate them on a great season. The Powell faithful has a lot to be proud of. Nobody expected them to make it this far.

Looks like it worked out for us, redandblack. Tough loss for the Panthers tonight. I just want to congratulate them on a great season. The Powell faithful has a lot to be proud of. Nobody expected them to make it this far.

Great to see Ogan have such a great year in his final season. Tough loss last night, but it just wasn't meant to be. Alex Hill's injury in the 1st quarter really set the tone, unfortunately.

Great season Panthers!

Great run by the Panthers in the post season capped by region championship. Hill's injury was devastating on their chances to advance to state.

Congrats to coach Ogan on a good coaching career, he will be missed prowling on the sidelines for the Panthers. I saw him play for Powell, when I was a youngster growing up. He seemed to be a mountain of a man to me watching him play.

Coach Ogan I believe had his most success at Powell over the past 10 years. 1 state tourney team and a few substates over this time. I recall one of his teams led by Iasac Conner appeared in the substate in the early 2000's...can't recall if they advanced to the state or not. I think this was his first team to advance past the region.

Don't recall his 90's team doing all that much. District dominated by Clinton and Oak Ridge mostly from mid 90's to mid 2000's.

Who is the frontrunner to take the Powell job? Heard Ogan in an interview say that an assistant coach that is currently on the teams staff may?

I would assume that Will Roberts will be a likely candidate. He is a current assistant and the JV coach. I think he's been with the team for 4 seasons, maybe 5.