Inspiring for coaches and wrestlers...

Sommers

Green Bay traded him to the Jets. He was not released. They got a conditional 4th round pick with a performance escalation clause. Stick to facts and pasting journalists stories.

Don't worry about his posts, he only wants to keep this thread going with his name on it.  Matters not any of the content.  He went full retard on the last blast about GB Packers........made zero sense.

Green Bay traded him to the Jets. He was not released. They got a conditional 4th round pick with a performance escalation clause. Stick to facts and pasting journalists stories.

technically correct, although he requested a reinstatement from retirement or a release so he could select a winning program. Not the most popular decision for many packer fans

Long story short, good biz move by green bay to move forward

Side note: learn your French old man. Farvre

Edited by soms2
  • Upvote 1

Out of state coverage on Union Groves finish at McCallie...

Coach Ferrari says... "We have to compete with the big boys in order to get better."

http://m.henryherald.com/news/2014/dec/23/union-grove-showing-promise-on-wrestling-mats/?templates=mobile

Union Grove showing promise on wrestling mats

Story by Derrick Mahone

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Matt Ferrari was expecting a good year from his Union Grove wrestling team.

The Wolverines had several talented wrestlers back from a season ago, and they added a couple more to an already strong group.

So far, Union Grove hasn’t disappointed the coach.

For the second straight weekend, the Wolverines had a good showing in a major tournament. Union Grove placed second at the McCallie Invitational Tournament in Chattanooga, Tenn.

In all, the Wolverines had seven wrestlers to place, including two as champions. Freshman Justin Ruffin and senior Anthony Spencer brought home first-place finishers.

Also placing for Union Grove was Davion Fairley (third), Noah Craft (sixth), Hunter East (third), Camden Johnson (third) and Ian Schumacher (fifth).

“I was really pleased at the way the team wrestled at McCallie,†Ferrari said. “Coming into the tournament, my goal was a top-5 finish.â€

The week prior to the McCallie meet, Union Grove captured the South Metro Invitational.

“It was a lot tighter of a tournament than we expected,†Ferrari said. “We knew we had to step it up with our underclassmen. Going in, we knew our seniors would do well. In the last two weeks, our underclassmen have wrestled well.â€

Ferrari has three state placers back from last season including Spencer, who was a runner-up at 182-pound division in Class AAAAA. Tyson Patterson was sixth and Craft placed fourth at the GHSA traditional meet.

Luke Parker, who placed third at state two years ago, is also back. Two weeks ago, he won the South Metro Tournament.

“We got three weeks before our area tournament,†Ferrari said. “I think the team has really being doing well. We have a few more test before we start area and state competition.â€

To get ready, the Wolverines will continue competing in some top tournaments throughout the state and surrounding areas. Union Grove will compete in the Holiday Hammer Classic in Virginia against teams from Tennessee, Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina.

“We have faced some good competition,†Ferrari said. “When we get back, we have a meet at Archer. We have to compete with the big boys in order to get better. Class 5A is strong from top to bottom. We are going to meet up with some very strong teams.â€

Ferrari is high on Ruffin, who is nationally ranked. He didn’t wrestle at South Metro, but took first in the 132 division in Tennessee.

“The national ranking mean nothing on the high school level, because you have to prove yourself,†Ferrari said. “I’m pleased at the way he has performed so far on the varsity level. He has a lot of potential to be a good wrestler.â€

©2014 Henry Herald Desktop Site

Back to the basics here informationally, even though we got over 1000 viewers since the "uninspiraing" Mock article...

... (Several hopefully getting the facts of which may prepare their young wrestlers better for the next level) ...instead of the usual 150/day+-

BTW - I Appreciate Enslinger considering second chances, after all,,, isn't it this time of year we all or many of us celebrate that hope to get even more than a second chance in the long haul?(7 x's 70 or even ... ∞ )

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2014/12/23/290833/Cleveland-Wrestlers-Rally-To-Beat-Soddy.aspx

Cleveland Wrestlers Rally To Beat Soddy Daisy

Blue Raiders Use Five Pins As Springboard For 39-30 Win

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 - by John Hunt

Several folks questioned the reasoning behind scheduling the Soddy Daisy-Cleveland wrestling match for two days before Christmas.

All the shopping is hopefully done, all of the presents are wrapped and it was a rainy Tuesday night, so why not gather at the Soddy Daisy Wrestling Arena for a dual meet featuring two teams that are traditionally in the thick of the running for state honors in mid-February.

Things turned out well for visiting Cleveland as the Blue Raiders improved to 9-3 with the 39-30 victory.

Soddy Daisy coach Jim Higgins was in Knoxville attending the funeral of his wife’s grandmother, so he wasn’t present, but Trojan assistants Brad Laxton and Ashley Brooks took charge.

Both teams are coming off a weekend of tough competition at the McCallie Invitational and both appeared somewhat sluggish and sloppy in their execution on the mat, but when the last match had ended, Cleveland prevailed and will go into a well-deserved five-day break on a positive note.

“We got a tough match tonight and I thought that both teams looked a little sluggish as we’re sore and beat up following the McCallie tournament, but a “W†is a “W†and I’ll take it,†said Cleveland coach Jake Yost once the match ended.

“We could have fought harder in spots and we gave up a lot more pins that I would have liked, but it’s always good to get a win against a tough team like Soddy Daisy. It’s hard to beat a good team when you get pinned as many times as did, but I’m happy for the most part with our performance,†he added.

The match started at 285 and Trey Simpson needed just 51 seconds to give Cleveland a 6-0 lead.

John Gaither finished the match with a first-period pin at 220 to clinch the win as the Blue Raiders won the last three matches – including two by pins – to turn a 30-24 deficit into the nine-point win.

Colton Landers, Aaron Oliver and Seth Garcia all added pins for Cleveland while teammates Cody Mathews, Ezra Taylor and Riley Stevison all posted wins by regular decision.

Soddy Daisy countered with three pins – all in the first period – from Landon Wheaton, Austin Houser and Tucker Russo while Jacob McClure and Austin Williamson both notched 7-4 regular decisions. Chase Payne was awarded a forfeit at 120, but it wasn’t enough to overcome Cleveland’s strong finish.

“We fought hard and I’m proud of our fight as we brought it tonight,†said Soddy Daisy assistant coach Brad Laxton after his Trojans had fallen to 13-4 overall.

“We still have time to get better, but Cleveland won the matches they had to win. There were a few spots where we thought we might get a surprise win, but those never materialized. We knew we were behind the eight ball going in, but we need matches like this.

“I’m proud of Landon Wheaton for getting that pin at 106,†Laxton added.

“I thought it was a good match as we came to wrestle and so did they,†said Brooks later.

“We have a young team with lots of kids with less experience than we’re used to, but we’re making strides and I’m overall pleased with our performance tonight,†Brooks nodded.

Both teams have several days off to catch their collective breath, but they will both be back in action on Saturday, January 3 in the annual Soddy Daisy Scuffle.

ON A PERSONAL NOTE, I just want to wish everyone in Chattanooga, Cleveland and surrounding areas a very Merry Christmas.

CLEVELAND 39, SODDY DAISY 30

(Match started at 285 Pounds)

106 – Landon Wheaton (SD) pinned Jayce Mullin, :34;

113 – Cody Mathews (Clev) dec. Justin Taylor, 9-2;

120 – Chase Payne (SD) won by forfeit;

126 – Colton Landers (Clev) pinned Jacob Thomas, 1:25;

132 – Jacob McClure (SD) dec. Tristian Blansit, 7-4;

138 – Austin Howser (SD) pinned Joseph Bowers, 1:46;

145 – Ezra Taylor (Clev) dec. Emory Holcomb, 9-3;

152 – Tucker Russo (SD) pinned Jack Hicks, 1:12;

160 – Aaron Oliver (Clev) pinned Conner Styles, 3:55;

170 – Austin Williamson (SD) dec. Jonathan Martin, 7-4;

182 – Riley Stevison (Clev0 dec. Hunter Rogers, 14-8;

195 – Seth Garcia (Clev) pinned Addison Roberts, 3:43;

220 – John Gaither (Clev) pinned Elijah Cartwright, 1:52;

285 – Trey Simpson (Clev) pinned Dylan Aslinger, :51.

(Email John Hunt at nomarathonmoose@comcast.net)

Edited by Sommers
  • Upvote 1

Athans Ga gets behind their area wrestlers...

Pigeon Forge Duals

http://m.onlineathens.com/sports/2014-12-23/jefferson-wrestling-wins-tennessee#gsc.tab=0

Perfect Example of Another Smaller School Seeking out the Competition...

At the Pigeon Forge Duals in Tennessee, Jefferson recorded four victories Tuesday to go with its five wins on Monday to claim the tournament championship.

The Dragons defeated Harpreth (Tenn.) 58-15, Grundy (Va.) 57-15, Lumpkin County 60-18 and Wilson Central (Tenn.) 54-24. Grundy is the eight-time Class AAA Virginia state champion and Wilson Central is the No. 1-ranked program in Tennessee.

Jefferson wrestlers who went undefeated in the two-day tournament included Dawson Bates (106 pounds), Mitchell McGhee (113), Ben Kelly (120), Tanner Thurmond (132), Chase Piperato (145) and Bam Little (182).

Thurmond was named tournament MVP.

Div AA - Jefferson will compete Saturday at the Kyle Maynard Duals at Collins Hill High School and on Jan. 1 will travel to Rochester, Minn., to compete in The Clash, which features the top 32 wrestling programs in the country.

Here is what zoning realignment + a decent pipeline and outstanding scheduling & coaching can do for aa New HS...

Local Coverage for Archer...

http://m.gwinnettdailypost.com/news/2014/dec/23/archer-wrestlers-win-kansas-city-stampede/?templates=mobile

Story by From staff reports

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Archer’s wrestling team met another major challenge over the weekend.

The Tigers won their second straight title in the prestigious Kansas City (Mo.) Stampede, besting 40 teams from 11 different states in what is considered the fifth-toughest high school tournament in the country.

They scored 593 points to finish as one of only three teams with 500-plus points, joining runner-up Neosho, Mo., (536) and third-place Stillwater, Okla., (515.5). Archer is ranked fifth nationally.

“I was very pleased with the way our guys wrestled,†Archer head coach Tom Beuglas said. “We wrestled some of the top kids and teams in the country. We won some and lost some, but for our team to come out on top in spite of missing (defending state runner-up) Quinn Miller, who just got done playing football, we were very excited about the win. Our kids are well traveled and do not get intimidated at national tournaments, which is a big part of what it takes to be successful there. Their years of hard work are paying dividends now. I am very proud of them and their efforts.â€

Elliott Lee won the individual championship at 220 pounds to lead Archer, which also got runner-up finishes from Daniel Bullard (170) and Jacob Lill (285).

Grant Aycox (148) and Thomas Bullard (160) each placed third, while Chris Diaz (132), Vinny Artigues (120) and Sam Bullard (152) had fifth-place finishes.

The Tigers’ schedule gets even tougher at its next stop, the Dec. 29-30 Powerade Christmas Tournament in Pittsburgh. Its field makes it the second-toughest tourney nationally.

Soms, Why did you not cover the issue a couple of years ago when UTC gave a wrestler a 2nd chance and he blew it? If I remember correctly, it was barely covered and you certainly know the individual. If it was not covered then, then this incident should not keep coming up.

I see both sides, We always desire for these things to simply go away. Yes, chances were taken and some won matches and rankings were boosted as a result, which pleased the Blue & Gold of UTC, but there's always take aways to hopefully reduce these isolated incidents ...if we respond well with a "glass half full" mentality I believe Soms is trying to get across. Edited by soms2
  • Upvote 1